IGNORED

Poor tactics, squad or both?

PFree

I'm not going to go overboard but after watching the last couple of homes games, I'm worried about our tactics, or lack of them. Okay, we've got a first division squad which lacks quality but can't we at least play to our strengths?

A lot of longer balls today, playing up to Kodjia who regularly flicked the ball on to nobody? Often no striker anywhere near the box? We created lots of chances to whip a ball in? We over played continually and kept giving it away? Their goalkeeper had real problems with the sun in the second half but did we get any shots away at him?

We took Kodjia off when Tomlin could hardly walk yet alone play..? We put Wilb's on and I'm not sure he managed to get in the opposing box at all, was he playing in midfield?

Finally, we didn't seem to have any leaders on the pitch and gave the captaincy to the wrong man, who better than Flint to lead the side?

I don't mind losing but with no passion, drive and urgency on view, it's worrying when in reality little Lee is still very much in his honeymoon period...

11 minutes ago, PFree said:

I'm not going to go overboard but after watching the last couple of homes games, I'm worried about our tactics, or lack of them. Okay, we've got a first division squad which lacks quality but can't we at least play to our strengths?

A lot of longer balls today, playing up to Kodjia who regularly flicked the ball on to nobody? Often no striker anywhere near the box? We created lots of chances to whip a ball in? We over played continually and kept giving it away? Their goalkeeper had real problems with the sun in the second half but did we get any shots away at him?

We took Kodjia off when Tomlin could hardly walk yet alone play..? We put Wilb's on and I'm not sure he managed to get in the opposing box at all, was he playing in midfield?

Finally, we didn't seem to have any leaders on the pitch and gave the captaincy to the wrong man, who better than Flint to lead the side?

I don't mind losing but with no passion, drive and urgency on view, it's worrying when in reality little Lee is still very much in his honeymoon period...

You can point the finger at a lack of quality in the final third and overplaying but you can never have a pop at them for a lack  of passion or heart. This group of players always give 100%

16 minutes ago, PFree said:

I assume you mean Pack? If not then sorry, but from what I heard, he was superb in our win at Forest last week and a more than worthy stand in captain.

No surprise that he kept the arm band today.

Flint is already a leader, and he doesn't need to be captain to prove it. 

Got to agree with the OP, I thought our tactics today were bonkers.

For some unknown reason we gave Kodjia a lot of aerial stuff, but I'm not sure exactly what he was supposed to do with it.

Plus Reid (who was ineffective throughout) was nowhere near him when he did win it. Cardiff were pretty functional but well organised but must have thought it was Christmas.

Our best chance of a goal seemed to be from a corner, though on another day a better referee would have given at least one of our two penalty shouts.

Today just showed how much we miss Korey and how small and lacking in quality our squad is.

We lacked energy today. Derby? Hell no. It wasn't treated like a derby by anyone in the building. 

Today for me it was a tactical nightmare. We gave Cardiff far too much credit and respect when they had the ball. They're a team that struggle to score but time after time we were a back 9. Lumping it up to Kodjia who had no one within 15 yards of him much of the time. Sure he doesn't bring anyone into play. It takes 15 seconds for anyone to catch up to him. He could do much better himself but 100% of the attacking burden was on him today. We asked him to win flick one and hold up play, two things that we will say aren't his best attributes. Just isolated him all game like we were playing Arsenal away. 

Desperately missed Korey Smith today. Bobby Reid I like but more as an attacking sub and if we were going to play Joe in the middle, just put Wagstaff on the wing. Tomlin on the wing is the biggest waste and tactical decision you can make. Can't/Won't track back. Thought bobby got caught ball watching for their goal. Let a man run right behind him into a danger area.

Just so much wrong today but the lack of attack was what frustrates me most. Seen it from the start. Not pressing them and letting them do what they want on the ball. Lumping it up to a striker who doesn't play that way. I didn't like our subs but I'll let that be as we don't have a strong bench. We will see how they respond with 2 away matches in 5 days now. Can't lose them both and we could do with 4 points against beatable teams. 

COYR!

5 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

We were very poor, unrecognisable from recent efforts. Long balls, second to the ball, players hiding so leaving team mates isolated. We looked again a side going to be relegated, not sure if the players think we are safe, but many more performances like that and we are back in the mire. Totally agree we missed Korey. 

Was one of the flatest most boring games with Cardiff I can recall in recent years. 

Agreed. I thought both sides were poor. We were a bit better second half. Two utterly shite goals conceded.

We are only 5 points clear of safety now after Dongs and Rotherham's wins.  We need to get some points in the next two games, but sadly I can't see us getting anything at Wolves, not a happy hunting ground for us.    Fulham away, this will be very hard as they are an up and down team and if we play like we did when we played them at AG, then we will lose.   I just hope our away performances are good and we can get at least two points from these games, otherwise we could be in the bottom three again.

It's going to happen...pretty much everyone can beat everyone in this league. We are not going to become promotion contenders overnight.

Up to the Forrest game, our last 6 games were the third best results in the league.

The reality is...this league is exciting in as much as it's pretty even, but it's pretty boring to watch.

I didn't notice there being any more long balls than there was short-pass build up play. We're not Barcelona; I've got no problem with us playing a bit of both.

I find it difficult to criticise the team selection, tactics or formation today. The formation and the personnel were pretty much what the majority of us would have picked. Reid was the only marginally controversial selection but without many credible alternatives.

At the end of the day, we huffed and puffed but simply didn't have the ability. Sometimes a defeat is simply because the other team were a bit better.

8 minutes ago, EstoniaTallinnRed said:

We are only 5 points clear of safety now after Dongs and Rotherham's wins.  We need to get some points in the next two games, but sadly I can't see us getting anything at Wolves, not a happy hunting ground for us.    Fulham away, this will be very hard as they are an up and down team and if we play like we did when we played them at AG, then we will lose.   I just hope our away performances are good and we can get at least two points from these games, otherwise we could be in the bottom three again.

Couldn't care less what our record is like at Wolves, this current side and managerial team have never played there, so it's completely irrelevant.

If the season had started when cotts went we would be 5th in the table. We lost, we are not going to win every game. For the first time since cotts we lost a game we should have got something out off, but that happens. The main thing is we are no longer always losing games we should draw and always drawing games we should win. I expect a good response at Wolves, hopefully with smith in for Reid 

In reality, football isn't what it used to be, as another thread somebody commented on, it's pretty much become a non-contact sport and it's lost he passion a committed, heavy tackle brings.

Personally, yes, I thought it did lack passion today and felt nothing like a derby? We didn't close them down quickly, I can only remember a couple of committed challenges, quite often we gave the ball away aimlessly and didn't try hard to get it back..?

Perhaps it's just me but today felt flat and we watched two fairly poor sides, both sets of fans were quiet too, the worst Baadiff support I've witnessed for years...

Tactics were odd to be fair. Kodjia was always so isolated all the time. We never seem to get bodies into the box.

I'm not sure if Bryan is a centre mid, although he offers far more in there than Reid does. Reid as per usual was a passenger. At times it was like playing with 10 men. With the benefit of hindsight LJ probably didn't get it tactically right today but his options are so slim due to the squad being so small. He also can't help that he inherited a squad with some players that are simply not good enough for this level. If it was me I would be dipping into the loan market ASAP to try help us get over the line. After today's results we are in a spot of bother again and I hope LJ doesn't fall into the trap of not 'breaking up the group'.

4 minutes ago, Craven arms said:

Should have went with Warnock, City and the cheap option again 27000 all seater stadium in league 1 fantastic.

Have we been relegated today then? Or did we not establish the 8 point gap so that we could endure the odd defeat and still be likely to survive?

What would this side have to achieve for you not to make comments like this?

Since Cotterill left our record is W5 D1 L3, which is a decent set of results and pretty much as good as we can expect with this group of players. One defeat today doesn't change that.

The usual reactionary nonsense to one poor result.

13 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Couldn't care less what our record is like at Wolves, this current side and managerial team have never played there, so it's completely irrelevant.

Exactly.  As I've said elsewhere; they have one win in nine games, and have lost four of their last five, while Cardiff have only lost once in nine, and Brighton were and are in form, with the exception to that being a loss to Cardiff.

I expect a reaction on Tuesday, and Wolves are a good team to have next up for that.

7 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Wolves are n't brilliant , we have a very good chance of getting something , if we ' turn up ' .

That's the crux of it; we bounced back from an equally grim defeat against Brighton, so it is up to the players to do that again Tuesday.

Like with the win at Forest they can put to bed this loss swiftly, and it was refreshing to see LJ telling it how it was in terms of us needing to be more focused when in front of goal.

2 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

Tactics were odd to be fair. Kodjia was always so isolated all the time. We never seem to get bodies into the box.

I'm not sure if Bryan is a centre mid, although he offers far more in there than Reid does. Reid as per usual was a passenger. At times it was like playing with 10 men. With the benefit of hindsight LJ probably didn't get it tactically right today but his options are so slim due to the squad being so small. He also can't help that he inherited a squad with some players that are simply not good enough for this level. If it was me I would be dipping into the loan market ASAP to try help us get over the line. After today's results we are in a spot of bother again and I hope LJ doesn't fall into the trap of not 'breaking up the group'.

Yes you are right lee have given them a chance now it's time to bring some fresh faces in

41 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Is it only me that thought we passed it well ? 

Yep , just you :shifty:

I thought today, two bad defensive moments cost us the game.  That said , first touch was poor, passing poor and choice of pass was poor. We pushed them back for long periods but over playing made things easy for them (Lee agrees ).  Kodjia is a nightmare for that , beat a player once then instead of crossing or passing go back and do it again and again until you lose it , then apologise !! He'd be so much more effective if he got rid earlier. I thought Freeman should have swapped wings, the right back  looked scared the one time he took him on. Tomlin faded badly , Bobby lots a little light weight , and we really missed Korey. Funnily enough after starting with a criticism I thought the back four played well on the whole. I hope the basket case of a club that is Villa , wont be able to get rid of all the high earners and they will have to sell the squad players and Baker comes here. 

5 minutes ago, redfieldred said:

warnock has 3 points from 12 since his arrival. Brilliant 

A very good point, but it's slightly more, but not as good as LJ...However...I don't understand how certain fans think any new manager is going to come in and create miracles overnight.

Everyone would have taken the number of points we have taken since SC left...yet certain fans think we are going to win every game.

If we were a mid table team, then these are the type of results we are going to get.

That's the reality.

If we survive and become a mid table team...are fans going to moan after every defeat? It is what it is...a tough league.

We were spoilt last season...a one off...the first in our history.

Back down with a thump this season....and reality.

Archived