IGNORED

Without Smith

CITYAREREDANDWHITE

8 hours ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

Yesterday we played far to many long balls, and their two donkeys at centre back had it dealt with all game long. 

IMO smith wasn't their to pick up the ball off our centre backs, and that was the problem.

Unlike your two donkeys who couldn't deal with Immers, Pilks and Lawrence.  

12 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Amazed anyone thinks that. He was the quality player on the pitch.

Against a weaker keeper his free kick probably would have gone in, and his taking on and beating three or four opponents on several occasions was a joy to watch. JET-like I'd say, but actually able to head the ball. His passing was pretty much pinpoint for most of the match too.

Yes, he faded after about 75 minutes, but he'd worked his socks off up to then.

Agree. Think he's getting better with each game in all honesty and surprised anyone would be so critical when his talent is obvious. He's a class act.

11 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Tomlin needs to start scoring - it's goals that win games, and we can't afford a second striker who consistently fails to deliver

Tomlins hardly playing the role of a striker though is he? more an attacking midfielder!!! The man was by far our best player on Saturday, streets ahead of the rest!!

Tomlin is not the answer to our goal scoring problems. He is lovely with the ball at his feet but for me in our current position maybe a luxury. We missed Smith and his drive energy and movement and on another day could've won yesterday's game against an average play off contender. We ain't too far from being decent. Stay up and then next season....

10 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

Usually went out to Freeman that's why....

I thought Freeman was outstanding yesterday. He seems to be the player fans like to scapegoat at the moment!

When we had decent crosses going in no one was in the box. We need an out and out striker.  They are both quality at what they do bu poaching & scoring from crosses isn't kodjia or Tomlins game. Kodjia likes to go wide to receive the ball, try's to skin everyone (normally after skinning two try's to skin a third when a pass or cross is the better option). Tomlin drops off 'in the hole'  plays others in and is more of a playmaker 'second striker'

7 hours ago, Taylor10 said:

Quality on the ball yet holds on to it far too long and can't shoot to save his life. Sounds like anything but quality to me. I hope Freeman turns it round but right now he is not good enough at this level. He is rightly getting a hard time because his contribution this season has been very poor. Agree on Reid, miles out of his depth.

Luke Freeman is currently suffering from the footballers' equivalent of dartitis.

36 minutes ago, Oxheart said:

I thought Freeman was outstanding yesterday. He seems to be the player fans like to scapegoat at the moment!

When we had decent crosses going in no one was in the box. We need an out and out striker.  They are both quality at what they do bu poaching & scoring from crosses isn't kodjia or Tomlins game. Kodjia likes to go wide to receive the ball, try's to skin everyone (normally after skinning two try's to skin a third when a pass or cross is the better option). Tomlin drops off 'in the hole'  plays others in and is more of a playmaker 'second striker'

I agree we need a poacher type player. Not having one has hindered us all season. I don't think Freeman is a scapegoat at present. Certainly not for me he isn't. One goal says it all and that was pretty much an OG. I think he's rightly getting criticised. We should expect more and on the evidence of this season I can see why he wasn't snapped up by championship clubs previously.

19 hours ago, RedDave said:

Pack, Reid and Bryan were there though. Perhaps they should take some responsibility. 

Bobby just isn't good enough,sadly.he is a clear weak link and its suprising in the extreme he is now a regular starter.the responsibility lies with,ultimately LJ-squad is also thin,vulnerable to any injury lessening our effectiveness on match day.could do with a couple of loans to provide if nothing more,other options to change a game even from the bench....Lee may really rue a failure to act now.this needs to be gotten a grip of,no gain in just being happy in waiting for Korey's return thinking there will be roses in the garden.LJ is too happy IMO to see the current squad muddle through to the end-i see this as a calamitous mistake in the making.

13 minutes ago, Robert the bruce said:

Bobby just isn't good enough,sadly.he is a clear weak link and its suprising in the extreme he is now a regular starter.the responsibility lies with,ultimately LJ-squad is also thin,vulnerable to any injury lessening our effectiveness on match day.could do with a couple of loans to provide if nothing more,other options to change a game even from the bench....Lee may really rue a failure to act now.this needs to be gotten a grip of,no gain in just being happy in waiting for Korey's return thinking there will be roses in the garden.LJ is too happy IMO to see the current squad muddle through to the end-i see this as a calamitous mistake in the making.

He's only been here about one month.  Why don't you give the guy a chance?  

16 minutes ago, RedDave said:

He's only been here about one month.  Why don't you give the guy a chance?  

I am giving him a chance...I really don't want him to fall at the first,and very significant hurdle.it suits me for Lee to succeed despite my reservations.I just hope he isn't sitting on 'ees hands........anyways the 'ep says we have signed an right fullback from Sunderland(loan) which,if he is fit looks a good move for all concerned..could be one hole patched.

10 hours ago, Oxheart said:

When we had decent crosses going in no one was in the box. We need an out and out striker.  

I think it is fair to ask, what are we doing crossing into the box, when "no one was in the box"?

17 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Amazed anyone thinks that. He was the quality player on the pitch.

Against a weaker keeper his free kick probably would have gone in, and his taking on and beating three or four opponents on several occasions was a joy to watch. JET-like I'd say, but actually able to head the ball. His passing was pretty much pinpoint for most of the match too.

Yes, he faded after about 75 minutes, but he'd worked his socks off up to then.

sorry, but first half he was culpable defensively. Their right back was left with the freedom of the pitch at times. Goldbourne had little to no protection.

35 minutes ago, The Bard said:

sorry, but first half he was culpable defensively. Their right back was left with the freedom of the pitch at times. Goldbourne had little to no protection.

But it has to be said, Golborne actually miskicked a potential clearance.  Don't get me wrong, I rate Scott but he had as much of a shocker as the rest of the team in that half.

On 7 March 2016 at 09:25, Jack Dawe said:

I think it is fair to ask, what are we doing crossing into the box, when "no one was in the box"?

I didn't articulate what I meant very well. There were a few occasions where Tomlin or Kodjia were around the edge or just in the box  with a player out wide on the verge of crossing, however positions weren't being taken up/meaningful runs not being made. Runs that an Agard or Wilbraham would make. It's something that Kodjia will probably improve on, (Johnson spoke of improving his positional naivety shortly after taking charge) he's got the pace to get across defenders.

It begs the question should we even be attempting crosses in, in these situations with the Tomlin/kodjia strike pairing? Tactically we should be playing to their strengths? 

Frustrating when a good cross goes in and there's no one in the vicinity.

Archived