IGNORED

SOD

Super

1 minute ago, jambodinho said:

Cotterill's next job? dean smith was successful with them using 3-5-2 early in the season. Maybe Cotts could get them back playing like that

Interesting suggestion.. They're not out of the race by any means, perhaps SC even on a 2 month contract to try and boost them into the auto places would be a good move.

He's completely screwed up their season. When he arrived they were in a great position to get promotion. Then his double speak started, saying they were in a false position. Their posession stats looked impressive, unfortunately most of their posession was in their own half and usually a sideways ball.....seems all too familiar

Depressing bloke, depressing attitude, depressing demeanour. Made being a city fan thoroughly un-enjoyable while he was manager here.

If I recall correctly one of the first quotes he made when appointed was "There are only two guarantees in football, losing possession and losing games." How inspiring,

Stupid question.

Why on earth did Dean Smith leave in the first place?

He was clearly doing an excellent job at Walsall; must have really needed the money moving club must have given him, as Brentford look like becomig the next Charlton, if the rumours are to be believed.

Also, a bit of food for thought for those saying LJ has only continued what was happening before; SO'D is an experienced manager who went into a club in very decent form, yet couldn't just keep things ticking along, so maybe there is more to it than just not changing stuff.

38 minutes ago, samo II said:

He was clearly doing an excellent job at Walsall; must have really needed the money moving club must have given him, as Brentford look like becomig the next Charlton, if the rumours are to be believed.

Also, a bit of food for thought for those saying LJ has only continued what was happening before; SO'D is an experienced manager who went into a club in very decent form, yet couldn't just keep things ticking along, so maybe there is more to it than just not changing stuff.

To be fair Brentford were in with a chance of the play offs and had made them last year. They've got a new ground on the way too.  Sadly Smith has had most of his decent players flogged off on top of Gray who went early doors as we all know. Walsall probably never going to get huge crowds or funding given geographic location. 

9 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

To be fair Brentford were in with a chance of the play offs and had made them last year. They've got a new ground on the way too.  Sadly Smith has had most of his decent players flogged off on top of Gray who went early doors as we all know. Walsall probably never going to get huge crowds or funding given geographic location. 

Good points all.  Just think Smith maybe missed an opportunity to top off a decent period at Walsall with promotion, and like SC with us; think taking them up, even if they struggled at the next level, would have looked better than jumping ship to oversee a period of decline at Brentford (just lost their last two against Rotherham an Charlton, just two wins in 2016, and a number of their fans genuinely concerned about a last min relegation fight).

That said; maybe Smith could see that Walsall wouldn't sustain their momentum and jumped ship, perhaps before the issues that have led to their falling away reached the surface.  We will likely never know.

Don't fancy Smith to be at Brentford next year unless he drastically reverses their terrible form, and being only six points ahead of us just now, I wonder if we might finish level or above them, consisting our contrasting runs recently.

2 minutes ago, roe said:

Whatever you think of O'Driscoll and how he managed when he was here, only giving him 16 games is pathetic and makes you wonder why they gave him the job in the first place.

Yeah, I do :) 

Early reports I read were that it was more than results and that his polarising demeanour played no small part. 

1 hour ago, samo II said:

My guess is Walsall's sub 4000 crowds convinced Smith that it was a thankless task.

As for SOD what an absolute bluffer he is, all that bollocks about processes and outcomes, whereas his successor just concentrated on winning (a lot).

13 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

My guess is Walsall's sub 4000 crowds convinced Smith that it was a thankless task.

As for SOD what an absolute bluffer he is, all that bollocks about processes and outcomes, whereas his successor just concentrated on winning (a lot).

Yeah, I don't doubt the lack of space for growth at Walsall perhaps had him keen to move when at the peak of his powers, and Brentford may have looked a half decent proposition after last season.

I guess my surprise is that he chose Brentford after they so swiftly axed his predecessor, and the system there seems to give him so little latitude to impose himself, compared to the likely broad control he exercised at Walsall.

Brentford have a much poorer squad than last year, and really failed to build on the momentum Warburton gave them, and unless something suddenly changes, I really cannot see doing much better next year.

They might be bigger than Walsall, but with a 12k stadium and a very strict 'buy em cheap & sell em quick' model, I don't see them doing better than what they are now in the near future, so just wonder on Smith's thinking.

23 minutes ago, samo II said:

Yeah, I don't doubt the lack of space for growth at Walsall perhaps had him keen to move when at the peak of his powers, and Brentford may have looked a half decent proposition after last season.

I guess my surprise is that he chose Brentford after they so swiftly axed his predecessor, and the system there seems to give him so little latitude to impose himself, compared to the likely broad control he exercised at Walsall.

Brentford have a much poorer squad than last year, and really failed to build on the momentum Warburton gave them, and unless something suddenly changes, I really cannot see doing much better next year.

They might be bigger than Walsall, but with a 12k stadium and a very strict 'buy em cheap & sell em quick' model, I don't see them doing better than what they are now in the near future, so just wonder on Smith's thinking.

Given the short-termism in football I think it's probably as much a case of bag the next contract you can whilst you can. And if he fails there, like SC did here, he's still going (or ought) to be attractive to clubs in League One. 

Lifted from the Walsall forum....

Great news. Miserable, dour, clueless dinosaur him.

He sucked every bit of confidence out of the players and every bit of quality out if the style of play. In the short time he was here he also did his best to ruin our best players - Sawyers went from one of the best in the league, Bradshaw became a 5 foot target man and pretty much every player regressed. He even did his best to hold Rico back. Any other manager would have raved about quality like Rico but he barely had a good word to say. Wouldn't be surprised if the players had a say in this as the smiles have been missing for a while and they obviously don't want to play for him.

I just hope his legacy hasn't fudge everything up for good.

The highlighted bit sounds all too familiar...

4 hours ago, Iron Man said:

Surely unemployable now? 

image.png

Sample quote from their forum:

Yesterday was toxic and caused by odriscoll. Good riddance.

Which anybody that had inside knowledge of his time at Ashton Gate would testify to. Even Lansdown recognized that.

Hi Saddler in peace. Thought I'd have a poke around at SODs previous clubs to see the reaction to us sacking him. I think you all know how bad he is with the media. To refer to the club that employ you as "they" says it all really. The bloke is as you say above a bluffer. Some have said that it is a knee jerk reaction. I can honestly say that Walsall don't do knee jerk reactions of any kind. Dean Smith went 16 games without a win and the football was rubbish and we still stood by him. That must tell you how bad SOD s reign was. We went from free flowing passing to knock it up the channels and hope for the best. I would love to see Cotterill at Walsall but he will want too much money for us. That team you had last season were fabulous to watch, even if you did wipe the floor with us !! Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season. Hopefully see you in the Championship next 

31 minutes ago, NickJ said:

Sample quote from their forum:

Yesterday was toxic and caused by odriscoll. Good riddance.

Which anybody that had inside knowledge of his time at Ashton Gate would testify to. Even Lansdown recognized that.

OK ,now he's a bad coach but what does everyone mean by him being toxic and why would he undermine his own post ?

I thought he'd be a great fit for Walsall .

8 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

OK ,now he's a bad coach but what does everyone mean by him being toxic and why would he undermine his own post ?

I thought he'd be a great fit for Walsall .

He was a sacking waiting to happen.....

24 minutes ago, Saddler said:

Hi Saddler in peace. Thought I'd have a poke around at SODs previous clubs to see the reaction to us sacking him. I think you all know how bad he is with the media. To refer to the club that employ you as "they" says it all really. The bloke is as you say above a bluffer. Some have said that it is a knee jerk reaction. I can honestly say that Walsall don't do knee jerk reactions of any kind. Dean Smith went 16 games without a win and the football was rubbish and we still stood by him. That must tell you how bad SOD s reign was. We went from free flowing passing to knock it up the channels and hope for the best. I would love to see Cotterill at Walsall but he will want too much money for us. That team you had last season were fabulous to watch, even if you did wipe the floor with us !! Anyway, good luck for the rest of the season. Hopefully see you in the Championship next 

.... for this reason.

Ashton Gate was doom and gloomsville under SOD and evidently Walsall too.

Archived