IGNORED

Marlon this season

allyolly

Been meaning to post for a while but I think great credit to MP for his attitude, commitment and performances this season. Not always a first choice even in the league below but has grafted and given his all. Maybe not the answer in the longer term and needs to add goals to his game but I have been impressed with his contribution.

Actually totally disagree, I think the last 8/10 games he has been outstanding and with more freedom has looked a different player. I think he is the long term answer and would certainly be one of the first names on the sheet for me.

Mind you I never rated him up until Cotts departure 

I thought the change to a midfield 4 helped him hugely in the first few games but I agree with what was said above he was non-existent on Saturday, however you could say that about Joe and Bobby too!

Again, as said previously, it shows how much we need Korey Smith and how we have no effective cover for him. Heaven help us if he was out for a good few games. It is a situation that needs to be addressed in the summer as I doubt Ayling is the answer .

He has dropped the "Hollywood" sixty yard passes from his repertoire and is a much better player for doing the simple things.

Winning headers and tackles, giving the ball to others quickly and unlike others, not continually trying to win games on his own.

Now needs to include accurate shooting from the edge of the box in his armoury although if he did, a bigger club might just take him from us.  

A lot of people thought that both him and Flint wouldn't make the grade in the Championship. They've proved everyone (well perhaps not everyone) wrong and demonstrate that you can get good players from lower leagues at bargain prices. As said, a change in formation has helped, but it's amazing to think that for the first half of last season he wasn't even a regular in the team. 

Pack and Flint have been our best players this season from last years squad.

Obviously O'Donnell, Tomlin, Baker, Kodjia and Golbourne have all been welcome additions but they were expected to be championship quality.

My favourite thing about Pack though is that just like Flint, I believe he wants to be successful for the clubs sake and for ours. He has never come across like a selfish player on or off the pitch.

He is always a name you hear when the club are running some event or posting a 'fun' youtube video.

He seems like a club man, not soiled by playing at a higher level where players are out for themselves and only interested in their wallets. If Flint is to become the next Louis Carey I think Pack will be the next Scott Murray!

18 minutes ago, nathredwood said:

Obviously O'Donnell, Tomlin, Baker, Kodjia and Golbourne have all been welcome additions but they were expected to be championship quality.

My favourite thing about Pack though is that just like Flint, I believe he wants to be successful for the clubs sake and for ours. He has never come across like a selfish player on or off the pitch.

He is always a name you hear when the club are running some event or posting a 'fun' youtube video.

He seems like a club man, not soiled by playing at a higher level where players are out for themselves and only interested in their wallets. If Flint is to become the next Louis Carey I think Pack will be the next Scott Murray!

A lot of people forget that it was pack who approached the club for the move not the other way round. I know we're another club in the area to Cheltenham and a step up from where he was, but their were other club that would have wanted him. Having said that he did sign for Swindon in the January before

4 minutes ago, Aipearcey said:

A lot of people forget that it was pack who approached the club for the move not the other way round. I know we're another club in the area to Cheltenham and a step up from where he was, but their were other club that would have wanted him. Having said that he did sign for Swindon in the January before

Wasn't it that we only took him in because Kelly got injured during pre season, he offered himself to the club on trial and then the rest is history?

2 hours ago, Aipearcey said:

Marlon Pack didn't ever sign for Swindon did he? 

44 minutes ago, tezOfCity said:

Marlon Pack didn't ever sign for Swindon did he? 

No he never

6 hours ago, nathredwood said:

I'm sat here confused by this.

Whilst I agree with you wholeheartedly, if I look at last years start XI: I would've said that Pack and Flint were probably the two I thought might struggle the most in this division.

On the flip side, players like Ayling, Williams, Fielding and arguably Bryan - those I thought would comfortably make the grade; have at times struggled.  Its a funny ol game.

18 hours ago, allyolly said:

Been meaning to post for a while but I think great credit to MP for his attitude, commitment and performances this season. Not always a first choice even in the league below but has grafted and given his all. Maybe not the answer in the longer term and needs to add goals to his game but I have been impressed with his contribution.

Pack and Williams have both been very positive surprises this season

For me he's one of life's triers but is a good division one players - he lacks the required consistency at this level and has a really poor touch I'm afraid, if you could see his successful pass ration I would expect that to be low too...

8 hours ago, nathredwood said:

Wow! I can only assume that you have mistakingly forgotton about Korey Smith and will realise what a incorrect statement that was..! 

5 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Rest my case, poor passing, poor decisions late foul cost the game, captains arm band on a player who has difficulty with personal playing decisions, don't get it

Does that mean we won't hear it again? :fingerscrossed:

I'm not his biggest fan, by far, but he has stepped up well in recent weeks, has improved and is finding his weakest form alongside a makeshift CM partner; quelle surprise

15 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Wow! I can only assume that you have mistakingly forgotton about Korey Smith and will realise what a incorrect statement that was..! 

Korey has played well... Compared to Pack though...

Pack has more assists.

11 shots (10 on target) compared to Korey and his embarrasing 2!!!

More appearances

No official stats but I would take an educated guess at more headers won and more tackles. Especially as Pack leads the way in fouls conceeded.

The opinion that Smith is better is down to the weird phenom in Football where some players are universally loved and others cause split opinions no matter how good they are. Poor old Marlon is our Marmite it would seem!

39 minutes ago, nathredwood said:

Pack has more assists.

More appearances

No official stats but I would take an educated guess at more headers won and more tackles. Especially as Pack leads the way in fouls conceeded.

The opinion that Smith is better is down to the weird phenom in Football where some players are universally loved and others cause split opinions no matter how good they are. Poor old Marlon is our Marmite it would seem!

Can't seriously be suggesting Korey has been worse than Pack. Korey has been our outstanding player by a distance this season. He isn't in a position to make or score goals - he breaks up play.

46 minutes ago, nathredwood said:

Pack has more assists.

More appearances

And that is why statistics are pointless and irrelevant without context. Korey Smith has taken to the Championship like a duck to water and has been, by far, our most consistent performer.

On 8 March 2016 at 12:03, Welcome To The Jungle said:

Personally think that when the ball goes wide he should bee line for the box and maje use of his decent heading skills.

Could make a Rennie-like contribution from set pieces, instead of taking them. He's certainly good enough in the air, if not to score or assist himself, create space, the markers away for others to benefit.

Overall he has been a positive this season.  From the games I've seen (vast majority of home and a few aways) he's had 2 or 3 poor games, 3 or 4 excellent games and the rest solid.

I think that is a positive season for someone who is still young and learning....and he certainly does learn and improve.  He's done that each of his three seasons he's been here.  Fair play to him.  In fairness to Cotts, he extended his contract in the summer because he knew what Pack is capable of.

[still think he had an off-day last night]

2 hours ago, 29AR said:

And that is why statistics are pointless and irrelevant without context. Korey Smith has taken to the Championship like a duck to water and has been, by far, our most consistent performer.

What context can you use to make it ok for a midfielder (regardless of his role within the midfield) to have only attempted two shots on goal at this stage of a season?

We use stats because otherwise we are left with nothing but individual opinions on who is good and who is bad. I disagree with you, you disagree with me. I provide figures by which footballers performance is measured and all you can do is attack those figures as if the entire footballing world is wrong?

For the record I'm not slating Korey Smith. He has played well this year. But I personally would say that the performances of Pack and Flint have been better and the stats agree with me.

Archived