IGNORED

Just got back

RobArnold10

Staying with the Mrs' family in Walsall so back in and sat down with a moment to reflect.

First half was pretty even, Wolves never looked like they'd score but neither did we really, we never seemed to get the killer ball in behind. It had 0-0 written all over it. 

Second half we gifted them the opener, didn't see the foul (per LJ) as people were in the way getting back to their seats but the defending was weak. After that we didn't really attack like we did against Cardiff, and it didn't seem like we would equalise. Amazing ball in from Bryan to set up Flint, and after that we looked a bit more about it. I think it helped that we brought Wilbs on as the long balls could be challenged as our wing play wasn't getting much joy tonight. 

Now, the winner for me should never had happened. The ref may have thought it was a high foot because he was about four foot tall, but in real time it was waist to cheat height at best and the player was lowered. The ref in all honesty was awful, a homer and just was not conisistant at all. 

So all in all coming away disappointed as we should have had a point at least. LJ needs to have a think about his midfield, if Koreys fit he has to play as we have no real bite in there, Bryan was MOTM but doesn't offer what Korey does defensively. I like Kodjia but wonder if it's worth starting Wilbs, too many long balls that he's never going to win! 

Ratings, I'll be brief...

O Donnell 5 - may have been caught on the winner

Matthews 5 - a few good balls but not match fit at all

Flint - 7 solid game, all at sea for Wolves 1st

Baker 6 - see Flint

Golbourne 6 - quiet game but reasonable

Pack 6 - flashes of brilliance, mainly too predictable

Bryan 7 MOTM - all him in the 2nd half, great assist

Wagstaff 5 - not really in it

Tomlin 6 - see Pack

Freeman 6 - see Pack/Tomlin

Kodjia 6 - worked hard to little reward, needs to be less selfish!

Little, Wilbs and Agard all get 6 for making positive impacts but ultimately weren't outstanding.

Onto Fulham now for me, knowing us we'll play a blinder now, God knows we need to!

3 minutes ago, cityexile said:

Thanks for the report. When you see the highlights, just looks like an old fashioned clanger by the goalie for the winner, which is a real shame. 

I did wonder, a shame but let's be honest Fielding would have stayed on his line and they may have scored anyway, horses for courses and all that! Like I said though, very contentious free kick in the first place!

Ignoring that it was never a freekick...  I'm fuming about the build up.

Freeman goes down midway in their half. Ref stops play with us in possession.  Drop ball is given back to us by wolves.... By smashing out for a throw in on the edge of our own penalty area. Wolves push up apply pressure and win the freekick. 

I may sound bitter... Well I bloody am. Completely unsporting.

6 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

Freeman goes down midway in their half. Ref stops play with us in possession.  Drop ball is given back to us by wolves.... By smashing out for a throw in on the edge of our own penalty area. Wolves push up apply pressure and win the freekick. 

Disgusting!!

7 minutes ago, cider-manc said:

Just to add as well that one of their players turned round and applauded his team mate for his use of the drop ball.

I never had a problem with wolves (apart from the never beating them bit!) but that has really pissed me off!!

I know this won't go down well in many quarters but can I say once and for all how useless Marlon Pack was tonight and also in the previous 2 games.

Talk about the game passing him by..now I'll be honest I've never been a fan but for 4 or 5 matches he should us a glimmers what he can do.. But now he's gone back to being probably the most pathetic midfielders we ever had.

Thank you.. I needed to get that off my chest!

Been back home 20 mins:

O'Donnell - 5 totally missed his punch for their winner, kicking not great tonight either

Matthews - 6 looked solid enough....was he blocked off for their opener?

Golbourne - 6 steady Eddie tonight

Flint - 8 dominant against their forwards and of course a goal

Baker - 7 see Flint, but no goal

Freeman - 5 thought he was better on left than right.  Over hit his crosses tonight....and we had quite a few!

Wagstaff - 6 steady without imposing himself, not bad for first start in ages

Pack - 5 poor tonight....first poor game I've seen him play in ages.  Opponents went past him too easy, hence the number of fouls he gave away.  Never stopped trying though

Bryan - 7 at the heart of any good things we did second half. Quieter first half.  Another useful option in middle of park.

Tomlin - 5 couple of nice touches, inc pass to Kodjia right on half time.  Lethargic second half, when we needed him to be the spark.

Kodjia - 5 poor tonight, but almost got the opener (unlucky - think he lost his bearings a bit).  Greedy second half.

Subs:

Wilbraham - 6 did the job we wanted from him

Agard - 5 no impact on game

Little - 6 (and a bit) got us forward down the right, showing desire to get us up the pitch.

Referee - 2 shit, for both sides, but more against us.

MOTM - Zyro (Wolves) the classiest player on the pitch, and his introduction at half time the only reason Wolves became a threat.  Was it the left back Doughty who set up their first.  Also very good....can see why he played ahead of Golbourne, who has been very tidy for us.

When I heard Rotherham had gone one-up, I knew it was not gonna be our night.

15 minutes ago, ojjy said:

I know this won't go down well in many quarters but can I say once and for all how useless Marlon Pack was tonight and also in the previous 2 games.

Talk about the game passing him by..now I'll be honest I've never been a fan but for 4 or 5 matches he should us a glimmers what he can do.. But now he's gone back to being probably the most pathetic midfielders we ever had.

Apologies if this sounds harsh but that is a naive viewpoint.  Bryan was supposed to be alongside him but wasn't.  Bryan was always a lot further forward.  They seemed to be set up as a two man midfield initially but it didn't happen.

Pack did the work of two men tonight and did it well.  Against a better team he would probably become unstuck but he didn't.  

3 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

Bryan a bright spot on an otherwise poor evening. Flint mostly solid too. Without Flint and Kodjia we don't really ever score.

For the first time O'Donnell made a huge error and cost us the game. Could this be why Wigan didn't use him?

One mistake every six games is a decent record, so probably not

That was probably one of the worst games I have seen in a long time( and that is saying something after this season) 2 poor teams that were as bad as one another strolling around the pitch, miss passes everywhere , no creativity and neither team looking threatening going forward, the ref was as bad as the 2 teams out there as well, my ratings

oDonnell 5 1st poor game

Mathews 4 unfit poor distribution

Flint 7 best of a poor bunch

Baker 5 kept giving ball away with poor clearences

Golbourne 5 worst game since coming to us

Wagstaff 5 tried but not good enough

Pack / Bryan 5 the pairing off them for me is to weak and they don't compliment each other, big gaps in the middle where they lose there shape

Freeman 5 after a few good games back to his earlier form

Tomlin 5 never in the game 

Kodjia 4 was he even on the pitch, lost that spark

sorry to be so negative but that was a really inept performance and if we carry on like that we are down with a whimper ,  finally what a dreadful atmosphere, worse than Cardiff and that goes for both sets of supporters, could of heard a pin drop most of the evening.

I only listened on the radio but it sounded very, very quiet. In fact the first noise I heard was the Wolves fans booing their team off. That should have been music to our ears, instead it seems our heads were in the dressing room when they scored. It sounded a very poor game and Wolves were there for the taking and it's a crying shame we didn't take them. When we scored I really thought we would push on and win. A drab 0-0 would have been a fair result maybe, but football certainly isn't fair.

No doubt Wolves are looking upwards and wanted the points, and if we can't win our games there's no use hoping the teams around us lose theirs. It's in our hands against a fellow struggler on Saturday, Fulham look like they let a few in but also seem to score more easily than us too. 

10 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Atmosphere from home fans was awful....they shouted once in the first half and only when they scored in second half.  The game lacked much spark all 90, so wasn't tonnes to get excited about.

It's hardly surprising the atmosphere was bad , they had lost 8 of their last 9 games before our generous team arrived at Molineux to gift them 3 points .

The talk was that their season was over and Jackett was preparing for the next .

We should have over come them with our desire to win ,to score and not let them have a single shot at our goal . 

We should have played like our lives depended on it , Did we ? 

10 hours ago, ojjy said:

Previous 2 games? He was ******* brilliant at Forest, but don't let that get in the way of having a pop at the bloke

10 hours ago, ojjy said:

Farcical assessment, he was one of the very few players last night that I think could come away with any kind of credibility from what was a totally inept performance from three quarters of the side. Freeman and Wagstaff offered very little in the way of help in MF, as did Joe in the first half, although he was a lot better in the second & was seemingly everywhere. Marlon essentially did the work of two others last night and consistently covered people when the lost their man. Kept things ticking over when everyone else was misplacing passes left right and centre and was constantly looking up to see those in more space, unlike Tomlin, Kodjia & Co

Lets be fair, if his shot from 30 yards had whistled a couple of inches to the right we'd be talking about one of the goals of the season for us, doubt you'd be on here berating him then.

And by the way, he was magnificent against Forest away - he has been consistently one of our betters players this season, especially since the departure of Cotterill. But hey ho, don't let your obvious agenda against the guy cloud what was a more than credible display considering the circumstances last night, where half the team looked like they were totally out of their depth against a poor Wolves side...

My view was that Marlon had an off night last night.  I thought he looked heavy legged, especially in the second half.  Players are allowed an off night, and for me, last night was one of those.

i can't criticise his overall performance this season, he'd been very decent, and subject to unfair criticism from some.

Maybe last night was tactical, but even if that was the case, sone if the stuff he usually does well, e.g. Winning headers, closing down etc, we're not at its usual level.

Agree that had that shot gone in, we would've been talking about it for weeks....I was waiting for the bet to bulge.

I though Waggy buzzed around, but didn't impose himself...not unexpected...when was the last time he started?  Bryan was ok first half, but excellent second half.

I think, overall, the whole team lacked a bit of spark.

2 hours ago, gordie said:

That was probably one of the worst games I have seen in a long time( and that is saying something after this season) 2 poor teams that were as bad as one another strolling around the pitch, miss passes everywhere , no creativity and neither team looking threatening going forward, the ref was as bad as the 2 teams out there as well, my ratings

oDonnell 5 1st poor game

Mathews 4 unfit poor distribution

Flint 7 best of a poor bunch

Baker 5 kept giving ball away with poor clearences

Golbourne 5 worst game since coming to us

Wagstaff 5 tried but not good enough

Pack / Bryan 5 the pairing off them for me is to weak and they don't compliment each other, big gaps in the middle where they lose there shape

Freeman 5 after a few good games back to his earlier form

Tomlin 5 never in the game 

Kodjia 4 was he even on the pitch, lost that spark

sorry to be so negative but that was a really inept performance and if we carry on like that we are down with a whimper ,  finally what a dreadful atmosphere, worse than Cardiff and that goes for both sets of supporters, could of heard a pin drop most of the evening.

Completely bemused that a few people can't see what Bryan did yesterday.  One bright light on a very dull evening.  

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Completely bemused that a few people can't see what Bryan did yesterday.  One bright light on a very dull evening.  

Agreed. He was very good second half. It was as if all the other players were giving him the ball because they knew he was better. At times, was perhaps a little bit Tinnionesque controlling the play from deeper with the added bonus of the mazy runs. 

Just now, Davefevs said:

I think, overall, the whole team lacked a bit of spark.

100% agree, the whole night felt a bit flat didn't it? The boys didn't seem overly up for it at times yesterday, lacked urgency at times, that only seemingly kicked in with Joe driving us forward towards middle of second half. Other than that, it was all a bit limp which is disappointing because I think Wolves were there for the taking if our boys had been at the races yesterday

Just saw some highlights, it definitely looked like odonnell misread the cross for the winner. Someone mentioned 1 mistake in 6 games, im not expecting peter cech in goal but that error last night wasnt good enough and directly cost us a vital point.

10 minutes ago, RedDave said:

He had a reasonable second half but nothing more IMHO, 1st half him and Pack looked lost in there and half the time there was a great gap in the middle of the pitch where their midfield could literally walk through, I'm not saying he isn't good enough to play that role just that last night IMO it didn't work but needs must, which is a sad state  to be in in the first place

O'donnell 5 - Not a bad game but absolute howler for goal

Matthews 6 - Didn't do much right or wrong, solid and will take time to see his full worth 

Flint 8 - Absolutely outstanding, didn't lose a header and a great finish for the goal

Baker 6 - Good game but just needs to stand up and stop giving dangerous free kicks away

Golbourne 5 - Worst game I've seen him have yesterday, lost everything in the air and passing wasn't as crisp as usual

Freeman 5 - All huff and puff but no quality, one key pass in the game for the Tomlin chance. 

Tomlin 5 - Also extremely poor, just waltzed around the pitch, no end product and some of the areas he was attempting skills was bemusing 

Bryan 7 - Thought he was the only one moving us forward yesterday, won a few tackles and very good going forward. Playing out of position

Pack 6 - Didn't think he was to bad tonight, won most his header and tackles, gave the ball away a lot though 

Kodjia 3 - Absolutely awful, slowly becoming greedier than he was at the start of the season. Should have scored too 

Subs:

Agard 5 - Huffed and puffed, not a lot to feed off

Little 6 - Did things simple when he came on and didn't do much wrong 

Wilbs 4 - Bring nothing to the team, to busy grappling centre backs to head the ball. His man for the winner too just stood and watched even if RO made a howler 

Archived