IGNORED

Best Album of the 90s

City Rocker

13 hours ago, Porto Red said:

First one that came to mind was Leftfield, beaten to it. Nice to see Carter get mentions, although how anyone could opt for 1992 over 30 Something I'm not sure, and Mudhoney, touch me I'm sick, great stuff. Some excellent choices here, sadly my ravaged brain goes blank trying to think of more, I'll have to rifle through my tape collection...!

Was going to add NIN - Pretty Hate Machine but see that was 1989! Bloody hell. How about Stone Roses - Second Coming - massively underrated album. Or Pixies - Bossanova.

I remember seeing Leftfield live at the Anson Rooms not long after Leftism came out - that was a great gig.

30 Something is a brilliant album but 1992 edges it for me. I actually saw Carter USM a year or so ago at the Brixton Academy playing a 'farewell' gig. It sold out in minutes and was one of the most lively gigs I've been to for a long time! Also saw them playing at the Vic Rooms in the mid-90's - memorable as I was about 16 and lost my shoe in the mosh pit!

Was going to add Pixies to my list, however my favourite album of there's (Doolitle) came out in the late 80's. My favourite 90's Pixies album is Trompe Le Monde.

There are way too many great 90s albums to list and I'd forget most of the ones I like! Some of my favourites include:

Ocean Colour Scene - Mosley Shoals

Blur - Modern life is rubbish

Pulp - Different Class

Massive Attack - Blue Lines

Nirvana - Nevermind

Radiohead - OK Computer 

Guns n Roses - Use Your Illusion 1&2

And now my mind is blank and I can't remember anymore!

There are just too many for me to mention, but if I say which album had the biggest effect on me in the 90s it would have to be Nirvana - Nevermind.  I was on the verge of listening to virtually no guitar music by the late 80s and was a complete cheesy quaver  (Pixies were the exception that proved the rule) when Nirvana pulled me back to the ways of Rock and Roll.

What 90s album do I listen to the most these days? Probably The Soundtrack Of Our Lives - Behind The Music. Every track's a winner.

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

There are just too many for me to mention, but if I say which album had the biggest effect on me in the 90s it would have to be Nirvana - Nevermind.  I was on the verge of listening to virtually no guitar music by the late 80s and was a complete cheesy quaver  (Pixies were the exception that proved the rule) when Nirvana pulled me back to the ways of Rock and Roll.

What 90s album do I listen to the most these days? Probably The Soundtrack Of Our Lives - Behind The Music. Every track's a winner.

Pretty sure they were the support when I saw Oasis in Ft Lauderdale on the Heathen Chemistry tour.  Very good, think I have that same album.

19 Dec 1991 - was sat in my car practising all the manoeuvers for my driving test later that day.....turned the radio on and heard Smells Like Teen Spirit, turned it on right at the start

I always thought people who said things like 'this song changed my life' were *******, but this song completely blew me away. I'd heard of them, some friends had been to see them in London and raved about them. Now I understood the fuss. Just a beautiful noise. Bought everything by them for the next couple of years, SLTS isn't even close to their best song, but it's the one everyone knows, it's just one of those songs that will never die

So many good shouts on here, Radiohead, Teenage Fanclub, Mudhoney, Sonic Youth, Pixies, Pearl Jam, Weezer and many many more

I'd like to add Ride to the list. Indie band out of Oxford (I think), heard Taste on an indie compilation album early 90s, another of those songs that just hits you and reels you in. They done some earlier EPs, may have been late 80s, that were really raw. If you like indie and not heard of them then they could be worth a google....you might just like them

35 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

So many good shouts on here, Radiohead, Teenage Fanclub, Mudhoney, Sonic Youth, Pixies, Pearl Jam, Weezer and many many more

I'd like to add Ride to the list. Indie band out of Oxford (I think), heard Taste on an indie compilation album early 90s, another of those songs that just hits you and reels you in. They done some earlier EPs, may have been late 80s, that were really raw. If you like indie and not heard of them then they could be worth a google....you might just like them

Better throw Slowdive - Souvlaki into the mix too.

Off the top of my head:

Lifestylez of da poor and dangerous - Big L

Fat of the Land and Experience - The Prodigy

Doggystyle - Snoop Dogg

Ok Computer - Radiohead

Temples of Boom and Black Sunday - Cypress Hill

The Infamous - Mobb Deep

Suede - Suede

6 Feet Deep - Gravediggaz 

Enter the Wu Tang and Wu Tang Forever - Wu Tang Clan

Thrills n Pills and Bellyaches - Happy Monday's 

Blue Lines - Massive Attack

41 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

Off the top of my head:

Lifestylez of da poor and dangerous - Big L

Fat of the Land and Experience - The Prodigy

Doggystyle - Snoop Dogg

Ok Computer - Radiohead

Temples of Boom and Black Sunday - Cypress Hill

The Infamous - Mobb Deep

Suede - Suede

6 Feet Deep - Gravediggaz 

Enter the Wu Tang and Wu Tang Forever - Wu Tang Clan

Thrills n Pills and Bellyaches - Happy Monday's 

Blue Lines - Massive Attack

good call.

On 11/03/2016 at 18:59, Dark Wood Covert said:

Oh yeah ;) well i'll mention it again as its so good.

Well a few more... Boards of Canada - Music Has The Right To Children

Polygon Window - Surfing On Sine Waves

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Volume 1

Plaid - Not For 3s

Squarepusher - Hard Normal Daddy

Garbage - Garbage (just thought i'd throw that one in)

Boards of Canada is a good shout. ORANGE! 

Endtroducing I thought was an OK album. The best track was Midnight In A Perfect World - although it was later tainted somewhat when I found out how much it ripped off Pekka Pohjola.

Parklife was better than Definitely Maybe, although both were of course classic albums.

Other personal favourites of the decade:

Bandwagonesque

Automatic For The People

Free Peace Suite

Bring It On (Gomez)

Pearl Jam's Ten

Nevermind

Deserter's Songs

On 14 March 2016 at 21:40, Red-Robbo said:

I'd forgotten TSOOL, Sister Surround used to get constant play on MTV2.

Archived