IGNORED

What a mess this club is in...

PFree

I wouldn't be nearly as disappointed with this season if everyone shut up abs let the boys get on. That didn't happen though. All year it's been talk of bigger stadium, we want prem, we are bidding 9m for one player, you'd be surprised who applied, etc. 

We are all being told what we want to hear and the actions aren't matching the words. The club isn't in a mess. It may look like that if you believe what the owner of Ashton says but reality is we aren't that special. 

The lesson the club has failed to learn surely is that you invest in quality players when you are doing well and don't panic buy (or use loans, who are here today and gone tomorrow) when you are doing badly.

The sad truth is we have managed to foul up on both these situations in one season - we have never ever managed this feat before, and that's why I am critical of The Board (add in their failure to bring in a new manager at an early enough date to give him a real chance of changing things around) and I am not a happy bunny

Someone asked earlier if we could remember a worst summer's recruitment and the answer is a definite NO.

But in the past, we did not have such forums to chew everything over. Just the Evening Post or very meagre amounts of gossip from a Club that pretty well went into hibernation during the close season.

Then it did not really matter if we remained in a Division for a couple of seasons because the financial situations of all clubs hardly changed over a couple of years or even decades. But since 1992, everything has steadily changed making it more difficult every year for a team to flourish after promotion. I can remember telling Mike Fricker when he was chairman in the early 90's that unless we got to the Premier league within two to four years, it would be almost impossible for a promoted City team to stay there.

The difficulty of of survival in Premier and Championship is now like an exponential curve or like trying to climb a vertical sheet of ice. Pretty nigh impossible.

So relegation back to League One will be an unmitigated disaster that could either set us back five to ten years in journey to the Prem or make it impossible ever to do so. Yes we will "survive" as a Club in League One but do we all want that? I say no.

7 hours ago, ExiledAjax said:

The amount of opinion dressed up as fact in this OP is surpassed only by the loquaciousness of the prose.

Is this another way saying: 'You're talking out of your arse'?

I think we get caught up in this big club nonsense.

were in a category with the likes of Rotherham , Barnsley, Huddersfield, Preston and the like.

I still think lansdown is a good owner and glad we have him but lets be honest, hes achieved the same as every other board thats been in place at AG, hovering between top of the championship or top half div 1, we are a 40th to 55 in the lge ladder and that's that.

he mentioned the first time we got promoted when he was around and what a COCK they made of it, ok the second time under GJ  was fantastic, shame we have not learned anything.

I hoped with the stadium being finished we might have pushed the boat out a bit on who we brought in, fact is its mid march and we have not seen a striker come in, we ended last season with agard who nobody realy liked and wilbs who is 36 and never realy scored goals at this level, I think kodj is decent player and been a decent investment.

we can blame whoever you want but the fundamentals are its a collective cock up and we are were supposed to be.

we came close to getting out of this mess and on every occasion get sucked back in, Rotherham away springs to mind and off course the 8 point gap just thrown away.

so its Fulham Saturday, I think were gonna get hammered but its city and a 1-0 win is possible.

7 hours ago, BCFC_Dan said:

No we won't. We'll be in league one. Just like we were last year.

We don't have a huge squad on big wages and long contracts. We don't rely heavily on revenue from being in the Championship. We're not going to go under if we get relegated.

There's a good core of young players at the club, most of whom have proven to be very good indeed at league one level. Some will leave but we have no trouble recruiting for that level. We have a manager who'd gone six or seven games unbeaten before he came to us.

Relegation would be a setback and it might take more than one season to get back to the Championship but a mess? Don't be silly. Villa and Newcastle are in a mess. We're in a spot of mild bother by comparison.

That you. Some sanity in and amongst the 'look at me' drama Queens with their doomsday rhetoric. 

8 hours ago, PFree said:

Let me caveat this with the fact I've been following City for approaching 30 years and have been a ST holder for over a decade, I will also fully support LJ during his tenure as he is currently employed to lead and guide our team.

Anyway, after the debacle of transfers last summer followed the 'stubborn Steve's' unwillingness to change which caused his exit, what have we actually learned as a club?

As fans, we were supposedly to be surprised just who had applied for the manager's role, and our expectancy was therefore raised in that at last, a new, positive period was hopefully before us - happy days, we were starting to go for it again and invest for the future, we all felt better and more positive about the future.

In reality, we appointed a new Manager who wasn't proven at this level and who came towards the bottom of most polls around who we wanted. Okay, we've all got behind him (which is absolutely right) but after an initial flurry of positivity upon his arrival, it now feels like same old, same old as we fight relegation.  Whilst trying to be positive, when I see strange tactics each week and us then signing a right-back (who isn't match fit and won't be for some time) when we actually need an attacking midfielder and striker, it just makes me feel that once again we are taking the cheap option and that within the club we lack relevant experience...

We are at a time when we need strong ST sales again, and let's be honest, how many of us have the feel-good factor right? Only our hard core ST fans will come back for more (I will renew whatever happens) as we have a strong contingent of fair-weather fans I'm afraid.

The obvious positive is the shiny new stadium but we have a youth set-up that has cost a fortune but produced little (are those who have come through the youth set up any better than players we could pick up for fairly cheap prices?), we have very little in the way of quality in the squad (three or four players who can cut it at this level, one of which is on loan), we've made a managerial appointment few wanted, I just wonder when the point comes IF we ever want to demonstrate ambition once again?

Okay Steve wants to run City like a business but in reality, football isn't a business, as much as I'm a fan of SL, are we to therefore stagnate in the footballing backwaters for evermore? The longer it takes for us to invest and to go for it, the wider the gulf becomes between where we are and where we want to get to?

I sincerely hope that Little Lee turns it around and proves many of us wrong, I also hope I'm completely wrong and that the situation isn't as bad as I currently and that the club grows from here - I'm just concerned that MY club is run in a really poor way and that as a club, we just haven't learned from past disappointments and poor decisions...?

You can only go for it if you have the infrastructure and capacity to generate revenue that in turn gives you a salary budget to work to. We will have a 27k capacity stadium with corporate space that can be used for football & rugby as well as function areas to be used 7 days a week.

So SL has invested 45 million to give us that facility. He tried his best last summer to support the manager by signing off bids fir multi million transfers but I dare say our wage budget couldn't match his financial clout because of the FFP and our limited income/turnover.

i hope this summer things will be different assuming we stay up. I think people need to understand that FFP has restricted clubs so that they don't over stretch themselves although Bournemouth & QPR in recent times have breeched the rules and got promoted and with no punishment as I recall

it apoears at this moment that SL wishes to work within FFP but fund transfers even if it costs a pretty penny or two

21 minutes ago, INCRED said:

You can only go for it if you have the infrastructure and capacity to generate revenue that in turn gives you a salary budget to work to. We will have a 27k capacity stadium with corporate space that can be used for football & rugby as well as function areas to be used 7 days a week.

So SL has invested 45 million to give us that facility. He tried his best last summer to support the manager by signing off bids fir multi million transfers but I dare say our wage budget couldn't match his financial clout because of the FFP and our limited income/turnover.

i hope this summer things will be different assuming we stay up. I think people need to understand that FFP has restricted clubs so that they don't over stretch themselves although Bournemouth & QPR in recent times have breeched the rules and got promoted and with no punishment as I recall

it apoears at this moment that SL wishes to work within FFP but fund transfers even if it costs a pretty penny or two

2 points :

1. Why does anyone think City will get any revenue not generated on match day ? After all it isn't our stadium any longer is it.

2. We appear to be the only club that gives a shit about FFP which tells me SL is prepared to see us go down because despite the bollocks he has come out with we do not have a good enough squad and frankly I do not believe the Gayle and Gray bids were ever expected to be successful.

2 hours ago, twodogs said:

From some of the threads on OTIB anyone looking in as an outsider would think that some actually want us to go down to be proved right about the appointment of LJ.

Totally agree.

I said words to that effect yesterday in "We are worse under Johnson...."

3 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

I cant believe any City fan wants us to go down. An increasing number appear to think there's a good chance we will which is rather different.

Sorry mate but as much as I hate to say it, it really does appear that way given the negative threads. We've done to death whats gone on during January and the summer but the rubbish thats appeared after Cardiff and Wolves is ridiculous. This thread being an example but not specific.

3 minutes ago, twodogs said:

Sorry mate but as much as I hate to say it, it really does appear that way given the negative threads. We've done to death whats gone on during January and the summer but the rubbish thats appeared after Cardiff and Wolves is ridiculous. This thread being an example but not specific.

I think people are feeling really let down by the club and its difficult to feel positive. Forums are just a means of letting off steam and the entire membership of this one represents a fraction of City fans.The fact is the club from SL downwards couldn't give a shit what anyone says on otib. If SC sales drop by 20% or so next time that will be representative of fans not here .

4 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

I think people are feeling really let down by the club and its difficult to feel positive. Forums are just a means of letting off steam and the entire membership of this one represents a fraction of City fans.The fact is the club from SL downwards couldn't give a shit what anyone says on otib. If SC sales drop by 20% or so next time that will be representative of fans not here .

The club would be naive in the extreme if they dont take notice of whats posted on here. As its representative of a cross section of fans mostly who go. They'll also prey on the fact that we are loyal and will still go and still moan or praise whatever league we're in next year (championship) although they're not entirely stupid hence the delay in sc prices.

My original point still stands though as some fans obviously feel so removed from the club itself that they will feel vilified if LJ fails and that for me is wrong. Hence the negative posts repeating the same old shite. Lets get beind the team and if and its a big if in my world we do go down then we can moan

I have to say @twodogs that if the club monitors what is written on here they clearly don't take a blind bit of notice because the forum has been pretty negative all season even though the fans have been very loyal at matches.A season like this yet still full houses and taking over 4000 to Fulham. I think the fans have the right to moan because the club has had an easy ride from us.

We can agree to disagree I guess !

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

The difficulty of of survival in Premier and Championship is now like an exponential curve or like trying to climb a vertical sheet of ice. Pretty nigh impossible.

Unless you're PNE, or Brentford the season before, or Watford in the Prem. None of these clubs have more resources than City, well Watford do now, after a Premier League season obviously but...

I do not want us relegated. I doubt very much that there is a true City fan anywhere who wants that.

I admit to being a glass half empty person in respect of anything Bristol City, simply because in 66 years there are not more than about ten good years and an awful lot of let downs, false dawns and some real downright misery. I mean there are not many clubs in the world let alone in England who have gone from 8th in the First Division in October 1979 to 92nd in the Football League by December 1982 with three consecutive relegations.

I have had the smell of relegation in my nostrils since last September and it won't go away. I can't help it but we seem to be incapable as a club to be able to string together two successful seasons. I do want to be wrong; I do want us to stay up but can anyone say with total confidence that we will still be playing in the Championship next season? 

5 minutes ago, fgrsimon said:

But for all their alleged lack of resources, Watford have achieved so much more in the last thirty odd years than BCFC. An FA Cup final and a lot more seasons than City in the top and second tiers than we have. We just seem incapable of getting it all joined up for any length of time.

I feel angry about how we get built up one year and then let down badly for the next decade, I'm sorry if I'm having a rant but I love our Club, it's been my life and I just want some reasonable success, not another bloody relegation.

1 hour ago, Loon plage said:

I cant believe any City fan wants us to go down. An increasing number appear to think there's a good chance we will which is rather different.

To be accurate, in reply to a quote saying, "Everyone on here wants us to stay up, wants us to succeed"

I said: "That is true. However, I'm not convinced that everyone on here want's LJ to succeed."

7 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

I just hope the players have more mental strength than some of the people on here

Far from being in a hopeless situation provided we can keep our heads above water this season with the extra revenue from the new stadium next season we should be able to compete properly at this level. Next season I'm sure we'll be in the top half, of course we've got to pick up about four more wins this year first.

We have no control over events, we are helpless, we can do nothing about what happens on the pitch. That might explain some of the fragility and flakiness on here.

2 hours ago, leadman said:

I think we get caught up in this big club nonsense.

were in a category with the likes of Rotherham , Barnsley, Huddersfield, Preston and the like.

We are far from being in a "category with the likes of Rotherham." And you can add Preston and Huddedsfield to that next season, particularly if we stay up.

Have you seen the crowds that Preston and Huddersfield get?

If we stay up and are still in a "category" with those 3 next season then SL is wasting his time and money

6 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

We are far from being in a "category with the likes of Rotherham." And you can add Preston and Huddedsfield to that next season, particularly if we stay up.

Have you seen the crowds that Preston and Huddersfield get?

If we stay up and are still in a "category" with those 3 next season then SL is wasting his time and money

well were we finish in the league says we are.

especially over the last 15 years.

29 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Here's a quick guide to how much of a mess we're in; I'm still waiting for my Food vouchers to arrive and my Personal Account Manager refuses to return my calls. I can, conversely, get a plate for my chips. So what does this tell us? 

That you need to 'keep the faith'.

Archived