IGNORED

lego stadia

swampy

Its the fans who make the atmosphere. Some of the "souless bowls" in Europe are buzzing. The fact is the cost of watching matches here affects the demographics which in turn means acceptable behaviour here back in the day and Europe right now isn't tolerated.

Oh and of course most people sit.

10 minutes ago, Reigate Red said:

What about Selhurst Park - don't particularly like it but it's not some soulless bowl.

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

No.. Villa Park, Upton Park, Anfield, Selhurst - all traditional style grounds. They've all had improvements but retained their aura.

Give you selhurst and Upton Park,anfield is nothing like what it was,improvements has diminished it,but vital for every club to progress which is rather sad in my eyes 

11 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Its the fans who make the atmosphere. Some of the "souless bowls" in Europe are buzzing. The fact is the cost of watching matches here affects the demographics which in turn means acceptable behaviour here back in the day and Europe right now isn't tolerated.

Oh and of course most people sit.

have visited a few of the revamped grounds in Poland and whilst many have been transformed into McDonald's box projects the atmosphere remains second to none: flares, flags, people effing and blinding, sitting where they want, standing when they want, bouncing around and then paying a few quid for the privilege. I miss the old stadiums we had in England, but the problem relating to atmosphere isn't so much born from the stadiums themselves as it is the rules and regulations imposed by the clubs and police. Of course, soaring prices further damage the football culture that most of us miss. 

3 minutes ago, joe jordans teeth said:

Give you selhurst and Upton Park,anfield is nothing like what it was,improvements has diminished it,but vital for every club to progress which is rather sad in my eyes 

Unfortunately Upton Park is not long for this world - will be interesting to see how the Olympic Stadium transfers to a football ground. 

29 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

the problem relating to atmosphere isn't so much born from the stadiums themselves as it is the rules and regulations imposed by the clubs and police.

We're Bristol City, we do what we want!*

*subject to compliance with reasonable pre-agreed parameters, and in accordance with current legislation and prevailing safety guidelines. May contain nuts. 

1 hour ago, swampy said:

hqdefault.jpg

Got some flack the other day for suggesting the Gate was more Lego than Cardiff.  Those of us brought up back in the day would say both grounds are so so bland and soulless.  

Can I ask how you could possibly come to the conclusion that Ashton Gate is more Lego than Cardiff?

image.jpg

image.jpg

11 minutes ago, poland_exile said:

have visited a few of the revamped grounds in Poland and whilst many have been transformed into McDonald's box projects the atmosphere remains second to none: flares, flags, people effing and blinding, sitting where they want, standing when they want, bouncing around and then paying a few quid for the privilege. I miss the old stadiums we had in England, but the problem relating to atmosphere isn't so much born from the stadiums themselves as it is the rules and regulations imposed by the clubs and police. Of course, soaring prices further damage the football culture that most of us miss. 

Add this to the fact most middle class people seem to have some kind of self imposing built in authoritarian fascist that tells them what they can a cant do and associate singing and flares, flags, people effing and blinding, sitting where they want, standing when they want and bouncing around with hooligans rather than fun and you have a perfect storm of sitting there being quite and watching the game and a completely dead atmosphere.

8 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Can I ask how you could possibly come to the conclusion that Ashton Gate is more Lego than Cardiff?

image.jpg

image.jpg

I think Swampy misunderstood a comment I made on another thread where I described Cardiffs ground as a 'Lego stadium' (based on the strange pattern of its exterior).

Personally I love the new Ashton Gate....I loved the old Ashton Gate also...however as far as 'working with what we've already got' I think we are going to end up with an amazing stadium with the added benefit that it's still Ashton Gate, our home for over a century. 

Whilst I agree with the OP that new stadiums don't generally have the same atmosphere as the ones they replace unfortunately football is so money orientated now that we need the new facilities to improve as a club. We do however have supporters who want to generate an atmosphere.

I also like the fact that the new design isn't a bowl in the same way that a lot of other new builds are but is still enclosed at the South Stand end. The design isn't as 'bland' as it could easily have been.

image.jpg

Agree with all of that @Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan!

Only thing I would say is that I believe poorer atmospheres have very little to do with modern stadium design and a lot more to do with modern football. There's no reason why a new build ground couldn't generate an atmosphere like old stadia could. The Wales v Belgium game at Cardiff City Stadium was an amazing atmosphere.

Also, while I love the new Ashton Gate, personally I would still have preferred to have seen Ashton Vale, which I believe would have been an even better ground.

15 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

I think Swampy misunderstood a comment I made on another thread where I described Cardiffs ground as a 'Lego stadium' (based on the strange pattern of its exterior).

Personally I love the new Ashton Gate....I loved the old Ashton Gate also...however as far as 'working with what we've already got' I think we are going to end up with an amazing stadium with the added benefit that it's still Ashton Gate, our home for over a century. 

Whilst I agree with the OP that new stadiums don't generally have the same atmosphere as the ones they replace unfortunately football is so money orientated now that we need the new facilities to improve as a club. We do however have supporters who want to generate an atmosphere.

I also like the fact that the new design isn't a bowl in the same way that a lot of other new builds are but is still enclosed at the South Stand end. The design isn't as 'bland' as it could easily have been.

image.jpgThought Leicester's 'new' ground was awful..very much a budget job-as opposed to mk dons,no expense spared and very impressive..pity they have zero support!

Archived