IGNORED

Tomlin the new Trundle ?

Ashtonwurzel

Lee Trundle was totally wasted at City and played out of position.  We'd be lucky to ever get another like him.  He should have had free reign which would have enabled him to deliver a lot more.  I feel GJ employed the wrong ethics on Trundle, Trundle was totally different to any other in the squad, possibly the division.

He definitely should have had his shot at playing at a higher level.

24 minutes ago, cityfan said:

Lee Trundle was totally wasted at City and played out of position.  We'd be lucky to ever get another like him.  He should have had free reign which would have enabled him to deliver a lot more.  I feel GJ employed the wrong ethics on Trundle, Trundle was totally different to any other in the squad, possibly the division.

Trundle had his faults but I agree with your comments about Gary Johnson. He played him as a central striker, left midfield, right midfield and in a roaming role. I always had the impression that Johnson was under pressure to make a big money signing, so  signed Trundle without really thinking about how to fit him into the team. 

3 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Trundle had his faults but I agree with your comments about Gary Johnson. He played him as a central striker, left midfield, right midfield and in a roaming role. I always had the impression that Johnson was under pressure to make a big money signing, so  signed Trundle without really thinking about how to fit him into the team. 

So if he played out of position as a striker, LM, RM and roaming, what was his position?

3 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

So if he played out of position as a striker, LM, RM and roaming, what was his position?

The problem was he never consistently played in any position. A few games here and a few games there, which is not the way to get the best out of a player. IMO if Johnson knew what his best position was he could have given him a reasonable run in that position. 

23 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

Purchased from a less fashionable club (at the time). 

57 minutes ago, cityfan said:

Well, aren't we lucky then.

Firstly I don't think we really had Trundle at his peak, I won't forget his first two goals, I remember thinking what a star we potentially had. But I will always be left with a slightly bitter after taste from the play off final, when probably unfairly, I hoped he would provide that moment of magic to get us promoted. He looked a yard or two off the pace by then.

Tomlin really should be in his peak right now, 27?

33 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Always remember Trundle's double against Scunny.  Two incredible goals to win the game.  Would love Tomlin to do the same this Saturday.

I always remember the Scunny GK Joe Murphy (?) giving some stick to the Atyeo whilst it was 0-0, then being oddly quiet for the remainder of the game :clapping:

Both very skilful with the ball at their feet as is/was JET. 

Problem with that type of player is their inability to put in a full shift - just like the legendary Stan Bowles back the 70s.

No doubt that there are similarities between all of them.

Maybe it's a problem that goes with us with us playing in lower leagues but City have had a decent share of highly talented people in the squad whose talents were never properly exploited.

In the past managers seemed more tolerant of the "infuriating genius" types who were invisible for 85 minutes and then did some genius type stuff to win a game. I'd argue that the majority of fans love this type of player above all others e.g.. Jantzen Derrick.

Must be that managers at our level are not clever enough/frightened to build team around talented "genius types"

We've had Luke Wilkshire, maybe not a "genius type" but good enough to play for Australia in the World Cup, couldn't get a regular kick under Wilson and Tinnion. Then Trundle, Evander Sno (Johnson told us Evander was played out of position in Holland, signs him and then always plays him out of position WTF!)

Most gloriously of course JET. Hardly ever (if ever?) started because he was "lazy"? didn't track back/defend and all the other boollocks reasons. Ever see Jimmy Greaves defending?(please don't be pedantic on this comparison)

Tomlin has a touch of the "genius type" skills. a joy to watch a few minutes of someone like him

I still don't think we have seen the best of Tomlin. He was extremely poor Saturday and only forgiven for his goal. 

He does have a great eye for a pass but he lost the ball a lot on Saturday and almost cost us a goal with a horror touch. 

I like him and think he will succeed under LJ

4 minutes ago, Bs4Red said:

I still don't think we have seen the best of Tomlin. He was extremely poor Saturday and only forgiven for his goal. 

He does have a great eye for a pass but he lost the ball a lot on Saturday and almost cost us a goal with a horror touch. 

I like him and think he will succeed under LJ

I have only seen home games and he hasn't been very good in any of them.

11 minutes ago, Super said:

I'd agree with that. For me it's another frustrating player like JET or Freeman who have the ability but can't and won't adapt or doesn't have the mentality to improve themselves or the motivation i don't know what it is. 

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

Both very skilful with the ball at their feet as is/was JET. 

Problem with that type of player is their inability to put in a full shift - just like the legendary Stan Bowles back the 70s.

No doubt that there are similarities between all of them.

Interesting to see him compared to JET.

The same JET who has been an unused sub since his appearance against us. Yep, we really missed out there...

5 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Always remember Trundle's double against Scunny.  Two incredible goals to win the game.  Would love Tomlin to do the same this Saturday.

I'll never forget those goals. I did try and find a clip of them online a while back but without success.

3 hours ago, Super said:

Jesus mate, what games were you watching?

Pinging 40 yard balls to feet at will and leaving players on there arses with his skill... Just the sort of player we've been crying out for!! When was the last time we were dangerous at set pieces?

19 minutes ago, 'keepuplino' said:

Jesus mate, what games were you watching?

Pinging 40 yard balls to feet at will and leaving players on there arses with his skill... Just the sort of player we've been crying out for!! When was the last time we were dangerous at set pieces?

Haven't seen him do much in the home games not saying he hasn't produced away from home sounds like he has.

Archived