IGNORED

Bobby Reid

BCFC Jordan

The tactical change at half-time won us the game, we were brilliant in the second half. Credit has to go to LJ for making the changes - but Bobby Reid deserves singling out for an outstanding performance that was at the forefront of our second half performance. He really lifted the rest of the team and was combining well with everybody around him.

The whole team in the second half were fantastic so it's a little unfair to single out one individual. But Bobby deserves it, in my opinion. Credit to him and credit to LJ.

Yep, him and Odemwingie made a big difference and we played nearly all the second half on the front foot.

I also though Wilbraham was immense, at approaching 37 to give us that 90 minutes today was just superb, brilliant link up play throughout.

Yup the inspired and brave double substitution at half time completely changed the game. Bobby Reid had a great game and Lee should be seriously starting him over a very out of former Freeman.Peter O was a breath of fresh air, very impressed with him. Ran like a 20 year old, and not aimless runs either. I cannot stress enough how these two changed the game

8 minutes ago, cynic said:

Which is why Freeman may be on his way at the end of the season..

It could be the case but if he can ever figure it out, I still think he could be a good player. Don't really have time to wait for him to figure it out at the moment though. I wouldn't mind seeing him used as an impact sub for the remainder of the season. 

LJ was absolutely proven right by his substitutions. We were more direct and looked a constant threat.
Firstly I will start to say how poor Freeman was first half, arguably the worst he has played all season, all over the shop, sadly I'm doubting whether he'll ever be good enough for this league. As for Kodjia today wasn't going to be his day, he's had a few bad games lately and LJ rightly took him off.
Reid and Odemwingie came on and suddenly the players were winning every 50/50 and we had a sudden belief in our play, we were direct and Fulham clearly weren't expecting it. A lot of our attacking trouble has come down to the fact we overplay it far too much from Kodjia and Freeman.

Fantastic win and what revenge we gave Ross McCormack, he should never have antagonised us.

He did exactly what we needed and injected some tempo into our play. We were crying out to put pressure on their defence as there a reason Fulham concede so many goals.

When we moved the ball quickly and pressured their defenders you could see they were there for the taking.

Glad he played well today, but don't think he should necessarily start every game. Yes freeman was poor today, as was kodjia, but against Brighton Bobby was poor. It's got to be horses for courses. Against big physical midfield he might not be the best choice. But away when we are chasing a game he seems to perform much better.

he seems to interplay with Bryan really well when we break. That works better away. Maybe should have come on against wolves.

So to make sweeping statements about him starting every match and dropping freeman is a bit premature in my opinion. 

58 minutes ago, Aaron-Bcfc said:

Spot on mate. Was absolutely fundamental in changing the game today. Wait until he misplaces another pass though and the scapegoaters will be out in force again; "too lightweight" "only gets praise because he's an academy lad" blah blah blah

One good game doesn't mean your good enough..and he's not..

2 hours ago, BCFC Jordan said:

The tactical change at half-time won us the game, we were brilliant in the second half. Credit has to go to LJ for making the changes - but Bobby Reid deserves singling out for an outstanding performance that was at the forefront of our second half performance. He really lifted the rest of the team and was combining well with everybody around him.

The whole team in the second half were fantastic so it's a little unfair to single out one individual. But Bobby deserves it, in my opinion. Credit to him and credit to LJ.

Good post mate, no way Cotts would have taken off Freeman and Kodjia....

Another +1. Bobby gets a hard time never going to be good enough etc but the first half today showed how we play when there isn't someone who can control both the ball and their nerves - poor touches and bad passes.

One of the hardest things in football is to play heads up, instinctive, confident, sharp passing, it is the one thing he excels at, if our biggest problem is (as forever repeated on OTIB ) that he is lightweight and easily knocked off the ball then we're laughing - strength can be added, technique can't.

I'd echo all of the positive sentiments above. Strikes me that what LJ is looking for is quick thinking and decisive players, not just clever ball players. If Freeman and Kodjia have a glaring fault it's their tendency to run the ball into a cul-de-sac and miss opportunities to pass and bring others into the game. The match was transformed yesterday by the quick incisive passing and linking play introduced in the second half.

Credit where it's due.

I wasn't there yesterday, I'm pleased to hear Bobby had a good game. IMO he doesnt offer enough defensively to be a regular at this level but he has shown himself to be pretty effective going forward, I still don't think he will do it at this level long term but I would be happy to be proved wrong.

Compare this to Freeman (who I think is a better player when he is on his game) who needs to learn to release the ball at the right time plus a bit more pass and move going forward but freeman does offer more defensively - problem is he hasn't really performed at the level required all season and has been very frustrating.

7 hours ago, Londoner said:

While I appreciate that Freeman ain't popular on here.....we let him leave you can guarantee there will be probably 20 Championship clubs in for him.

LF is a quality player. He is in poor form though, almost seems he is trying to hard to make things happen on his own - same can be said for Kodjia. He did seem to bulk up a bit the summer and lost fleet of foot a bit. Personally hope we stick him, has a great delivery, is just making poor game play decisions but will come good again I reckon.

7 hours ago, redfieldred said:

Glad he played well today, but don't think he should necessarily start every game. Yes freeman was poor today, as was kodjia, but against Brighton Bobby was poor. It's got to be horses for courses. Against big physical midfield he might not be the best choice. But away when we are chasing a game he seems to perform much better.

he seems to interplay with Bryan really well when we break. That works better away. Maybe should have come on against wolves.

So to make sweeping statements about him starting every match and dropping freeman is a bit premature in my opinion. 

I agree, in a game we are dominating possession, Bobby would be a better choice as he is more direct with his movement and passing. LF seems to run in a corner and have to cut back.

In a game where we are going to be dominated, LF is going to be a better option as he does get stuck in and track back.

I have my views on Reid, but his incisive forward passing was a huge part of turning that result around today. One swallow doesn't make a summer though and he needs to do it over 90mins rather than in cameos, which in his defence he looks better in. Maybe he will be a better impact player than from the start?

1 hour ago, Red Exile said:

I'd echo all of the positive sentiments above. Strikes me that what LJ is looking for is quick thinking and decisive players, not just clever ball players. If Freeman and Kodjia have a glaring fault it's their tendency to run the ball into a cul-de-sac and miss opportunities to pass and bring others into the game. The match was transformed yesterday by the quick incisive passing and linking play introduced in the second half.

Credit where it's due.

I believe that Kodjia can be taught to adapt his game. He is a rough diamond who has learnt football by playing in lower league French football rather than by going through an English Premier Academy. Above all, he has an eye for goal and his scoring record in his first season at this level, in a team that has struggled to score open play goals, is very praiseworthy.

Freeman, however, is a very talented footballer with all the benefits of the Arsenal Academy. So if he is as good as some believe, why was he at Stevenage? Why were we able to sign him so easily? Where were all the other big clubs who were queueing up to sign him? When I saw him play for Stevenage against us, he did exactly the same as he does now. Great ball control, runs past players with the ball but into cul de sacs. We took the ball off him by just letting him run and shepherding him into a group of two or three City players in exactly the same way as Championship sides have been doing all season. Can he change? 

I may be wrong, but I do not see a long term future for him at this level. 

1 hour ago, old_eastender said:

LF is a quality player. He is in poor form though, almost seems he is trying to hard to make things happen on his own - same can be said for Kodjia. He did seem to bulk up a bit the summer and lost fleet of foot a bit. Personally hope we stick him, has a great delivery, is just making poor game play decisions but will come good again I reckon.

Poor form doesn't last a whole season. Not good enough for this level.

8 hours ago, Londoner said:

While I appreciate that Freeman ain't popular on here.....we let him leave you can guarantee there will be probably 20 Championship clubs in for him.

I'm not sure he is unpopular? I personally think for too long he flatters to deceive, yes he can be neat and tidy on the ball and keep possession moving, which some people like, but for me there just hasn't been any end product for too long now. Except a few corners, but thats not enough. Out wide and attacking the full backs rarely beats his man and he simply doesn't get enough crosses in. When played more centrally he is not getting the goals he should be. Where Flint has improved this season, and to a certain extent Bryan, Freeman is standing still. 

Archived