IGNORED

Matthews

mattjtsmith

My opinion was that it was one of the worst performances I've seen in a city shirt in a while!!! 

Looked like he was totally lost, out of position, I barely saw him make a tackle. Didn't seem to care at all. Broke in to a sprint 1 or 2 times in 90 minutes. Was it just me that saw that??

liked his throw ins mind, they are useful!

7 minutes ago, mattjtsmith said:

My opinion was that it was one of the worst performances I've seen in a city shirt in a while!!! 

Looked like he was totally lost, out of position, I barely saw him make a tackle. Didn't seem to care at all. Broke in to a sprint 1 or 2 times in 90 minutes. Was it just me that saw that??

He made maybe the most important block of the season after a lovely save by ROD. Look shattered last 15 minutes or so. Think he's being asked to keep shape and not get too far forward which is what he's known for. Hasn't played too much. Doesn't look a 2m player but I don't think he was awful. 

11 minutes ago, mattjtsmith said:

I saw his performance completely different to you. We looked so much more solid with him. Looks like he's joining permanently in the summer. 

Games of opinions, eh.

Was part of a team that dug out a very important win yesterday, so though that doesn't mean he can't be subject to criticism, it's worth remembering he's been here barely any time at all, and asked to play from the start twice away from home inside a week.

Let's give him and Odemwingie a week working with the side in training (and with a spring in their step after this win), then we can better judge against Bolton.  

Plus; have another two weeks after that to have them settle in a bit more, and hopefully helping us to a decent finish in the last 8 matches.

Seemed ok to me, didn't show anything to be more than that, but in the first half he had no midfield to work with. Wilbraham isn't the only reason we were lumping the ball up the pitch for 45 minutes. Nobody offered an outlet and we had too many lightweight players in midfield. Bryan, Freeman and Tomlin were totally muscled off the ball.

On top of that, it looked like none of them knew where they were meant to be playing. I'm sure Tomlin and Freeman swapping wings was deliberate, but it just made the midfield look like a mess. Credit to Pack though, he took the game and basically won it. I think it's important to highlight that we only really looked like scoring after Scott Parker went off. It's all very well to say McCormack is their only really good player, but Parker completely nullified us for 60 minutes until Pack swivelled round him.

19 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Seemed ok to me, didn't show anything to be more than that, but in the first half he had no midfield to work with. Wilbraham isn't the only reason we were lumping the ball up the pitch for 45 minutes. Nobody offered an outlet and we had too many lightweight players in midfield. Bryan, Freeman and Tomlin were totally muscled off the ball.

On top of that, it looked like none of them knew where they were meant to be playing. I'm sure Tomlin and Freeman swapping wings was deliberate, but it just made the midfield look like a mess. Credit to Pack though, he took the game and basically won it. I think it's important to highlight that we only really looked like scoring after Scott Parker went off. It's all very well to say McCormack is their only really good player, but Parker completely nullified us for 60 minutes until Pack swivelled round him.

It's a credit to him that Parker has stayed and captained the Fulham team during a tricky period for them (sure the likely Prem wages help tbf), but heard a pretty strong rumour from the one 'source' I have in football that he was hours from joining Burnley start of the season.

Part of me think it is a shame he didn't; been a good player over the years, and finishing with a promotion not a relegation fight would be fitting.

4 minutes ago, samo II said:

It's a credit to him that Parker has stayed and captained the Fulham team during a tricky period for them (sure the likely Prem wages help tbf), but heard a pretty strong rumour from the one 'source' I have in football that he was hours from joining Burnley start of the season.

Part of me think it is a shame he didn't; been a good player over the years, and finishing with a promotion not a relegation fight would be fitting.

Perhaps explains why they signed Joey Barton. Second choice after Parker maybe?

12 hours ago, mattjtsmith said:

I wouldn't go as far as to say it was one of the worst performances in a City shirt, nowhere near but apart from the block near the end I did think he afforded Fulham far too much space down their left side. Together with Freeman they managed to both consistently stand 5 to 10 yards off their men allowing them on several occasions to get easy crosses/square balls across edge of box in. For me he was the weak link in the back 4 first half.

On 13/03/2016 at 13:22, Donkeeebles said:

Yes, I'm not saying he's a good or bad player yet, I just thought he made very basic errors yesterday

Same for me. I asked for others opinions as it was one game, and i just wanted to see if others had seen the same. Nearly always people see completely different bits that you didn't (we are watching the game as a whole after all). Any one who goes on to the pitch in a city shirt gets time for me. Even the best players take a while some times...look at Ozil!

Agree largely with the OP, we are all happy as we ended up winning (and rightly so), but other than the throw-in's and the block, there was not much to like about the performance and he needs to get much fitter. We only have 9 games left, so he need to get up to speed quickly!

Another 'done ok' from me but with a fantastic block at the end - so I'll award him a '6' for that performance.

On another note, how good was Fredericks! We seemed to have got our Summer targets spot on what with Gayle looking really good, that centre back chap from Hull who was brilliant against us, and Fredericks.

One day we will find out the truth but got to feel for Cotts if he'd lined these three up just for SL to pull the rug. Maybe Cotts thought SL wasn't joking when he said he wanted to be in the Premiership within a couple of seasons. With those three and a few additions in the coming summer I think we may have had a realistic chance of being up there competing. As it is, the best we can hope for next season is mid table - assuming we're still in the Championship.

Great pity. 

On 3/12/2016 at 23:38, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

I saw his performance completely different to you. We looked so much more solid with him. Looks like he's joining permanently in the summer. 

Games of opinions, eh.

It really is, may I throw a third opinion into the ring?

I don't think he was spectacular but the block was important, I think he isn't great in the air but is a very low risk player which is what you want at the back.  I concede that it's difficult to judge him comprehensively when he's only just getting back into regular first team football.  

For me, while he hasn't looked bad by any means, as soon as Ayling is fit again I would put him back into the side.  

On 12/03/2016 at 23:26, mattjtsmith said:

Really didn't look fit.has pace to burn when he is but will take maybe ten games to get there!!

On 3/14/2016 at 17:58, Robert the bruce said:

Really didn't look fit.has pace to burn when he is but will take maybe ten games to get there!!

If todays performance is anything to go by, I can't wait to see him in another 9 games. Apart a couple of wayward crosses I thought he had an excellent game today at both ends of the pitch.

2 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

If todays performance is anything to go by, I can't wait to see him in another 9 games. Apart a couple of wayward crosses I thought he had an excellent game today at both ends of the pitch.

Agree. He gave so much confidence. First time I've seen him myself and thought he was a marked improvement on anything we've seen at RB. 

1 minute ago, 29AR said:

Agree. He gave so much confidence. First time I've seen him myself and thought he was a marked improvement on anything we've seen at RB. 

Yea he's not Ayling going forward but he's much better defensively and crosses better from what I've seen. Ayling is a good squad player though that can step in at RB, CB and maybe even CM but if we want to improve we have to make tough decisions on some players. Ayling is one. Saw Freeman and Kodjia start on the bench. LJ has impressed me so far putting team and play style first. 

7 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yea he's not Ayling going forward but he's much better defensively and crosses better from what I've seen. Ayling is a good squad player though that can step in at RB, CB and maybe even CM but if we want to improve we have to make tough decisions on some players. Ayling is one. Saw Freeman and Kodjia start on the bench. LJ has impressed me so far putting team and play style first. 

I don't know I haven't seen Luke put in many crosses like Matthews did for Jimmy's goal

Archived