IGNORED

Captaincy 2016-2017

Septic Peg

So Wilbs is current captain with Korey as vice captain. (Dunno who or even if we still have a club captain?)

Let's be honest, it's unlikely Wilbs has got another season in him and if he does, I guess he'll play in and out or in some sort of super sub role.

So who should be captain next season? Move Korey up? Or someone else?

I'd like to throw Flinty into the ring. He plays for the badge and is very vocal.

Or maybe Marlon Pack? A calmer approach who may find a rapport with younger, less experienced team mates. 

Thoughts ladies and gents.

First and foremost a captain has to be guaranteed to start when fit and if we consider the current squad, the only player who is undroppable for me is Korey Smith. Don't get me wrong, a number of others are more than worthy of their place in the side, but Smith is the one who's largely irreplaceable (obviously taking aside the fact he didn't play yesterday and we won!)

Agree Korey will be captain if he's around and Pack will likely be vice captain, when the captain at the time gets subbed in a game I don't think I've ever seen Flint take the arm band, given he seems an obvious candidate it says to me at least that he doesn't want it.

I really don't get the obsession with being captain it's something that in day in age just isn't important!! 

Everyone should know they job by now most of the of them would have been playing football by 7/8 in academies by 11 in training to kick a ball about for most of their lives. The manager sets the individual and team instructions not the captain!

20 hours ago, I am the mole said:

I really don't get the obsession with being captain it's something that in day in age just isn't important!! 

Everyone should know they job by now most of the of them would have been playing football by 7/8 in academies by 11 in training to kick a ball about for most of their lives. The manager sets the individual and team instructions not the captain!

The team captain and vice captain is the manager's rep on the pitch. They will remind players of the instructions and positionings. They will boost the team morale as required also during a game. 

All in all, captains are still an important part I believe.

So do we have a club captain then? I vaguely remember Scotty doing this in his playing days. The club captain was the guy who represented the team at functions etc. Perhaps @Dave L can confirm? 

15 minutes ago, Septic Peg said:

The team captain and vice captain is the manager's rep on the pitch. They will remind players of the instructions and positionings. They will boost the team morale as required also during a game. 

All in all, captains are still an important part I believe.

So do we have a club captain then? I vaguely remember Scotty doing this in his playing days. The club captain was the guy who represented the team at functions etc. Perhaps @Dave L can confirm? 

I think that is a bit of a myth fella. In the days of almost as many " coaches" on the bench as players on the field there are more than enough voices to remind and instruct the players, bit different in the past but not so now.

21 hours ago, I am the mole said:

The captain is the only other play who is allowed to talk to the referee if there's an issue I believe. So if Flint was involved in a foul, only he and Wilbs (or whoever our captain is) can talk to the referee about it. 

15 minutes ago, Selred said:

The captain is the only other play who is allowed to talk to the referee if there's an issue I believe. So if Flint was involved in a foul, only he and Wilbs (or whoever our captain is) can talk to the referee about it. 

In reality they all tell the officials to fup off anyway. 

Can we bring Whacko out of retirement? Language warning on this video but it still cracks me up.

Archived