IGNORED

Mark Ashton: you old smoothie, you.....

Jack Dawe

...he says we're "a credit to the club and football in general." (Makes you feel all warm and rather prowed).

He says he was taken aback by the travelling support on Saturday, and that we played a key role in the 2:1 win. Said "it was simply unbelievable." (Aw, shucks! Thanks, Mark. You know the way to a fanbase's heart!)

He wasn't finished yet mind: "The noise, enthusiasm, passion and support gave the boys that crucial lift" (so, so prowed).

And then: "I loved the 'Johnson says, Bobby on for Luke' song. It looked magnificent."

He continued: "In sport, we use the word 'unbelievable' too often......I can't thank the supporters enough for travelling to the game and most importantly for their relentless support.....from Lee, myself, the Board and Steve (Lansdown, not Cotts) we want to thank them all for Saturday....they truly played a major part in the win...."

You know, we could get used to you whispering sweet nothings like this to us, Mark :wub:

Then he went and spoiled it all by saying something stupid/ going just a little bit too far: "Having been here for two months now, and working at City previously, I know the fanbase is truly spectacular."  Oh Mark, we're not Rovers you know. You don't have to go that ott to keep us coming. Just saying thanks and we're a credit, that'll do. 

Wonder what he's after?

5 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Then he went and spoiled it all by saying something stupid/ going just a little bit too far: "Having been here for two months now, and working at City previously, I know the fanbase is truly spectacular."  Oh Mark, we're not Rovers you know. You don't have to go that ott to keep us coming. Just saying thanks and we're a credit, that'll do. 

Wonder what he's after?

My thoughts exactly. 

6 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He certainly knows how to win the fans over - simply gush praise on our travelling support and hey-ho (nearly) everyone is impressed.

its all bit transparent imo

He started well, but then went truly way over the top.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

He certainly knows how to win the fans over - simply gush praise on our travelling support and hey-ho (nearly) everyone is impressed.

its all bit transparent imo

No, I'd say for some reason people are still - wrongfully imo - sceptical about him. Hardly won people over yet. 

Sounds like the generic soundbites those down the road love to lap up to be honest - special, unique etc.  

Whilst perhaps with reason, I just personally don't like these sorts of comments. 

No dig at MA, I'm not slating him for saying it, just that it doesn't resonate with me. 

11 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Sounds like the generic soundbites those down the road love to lap up to be honest - special, unique etc.  

Whilst perhaps with reason, I just personally don't like these sorts of comments. 

No dig at MA, I'm not slating him for saying it, just that it doesn't resonate with me. 

I would say to him: just be honest. Genuine. We know when we are being fed BS. The "truly spectacular fanbase" thing is silly and embarrassing; how then would he describe Man Utd's, Liverpool's or Celtic's fanbase? Leave that sort of gushing nonsense to Rovers.

The bit about "credit to the club, thanks for travelling, relentless support played its part, noise passion enthusiasm gave boys a lift" is fine, great to hear. Good to see a "suit" noticing the fans/support. But "truly spectacular" is daft and doesn't ring true

3 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Maybe he was genuinely impressed?

Yes, I've acknowledged that. That's great. But going on to describe our "fanbase" as "truly spectacular" is nonsense. Daft. We're not the only ones to sell our allocation at Fulham, although we did take more Saturday than Brentford took across West London to Loftus Road! It's jolly good, but not spectacular

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

No, I'd say for some reason people are still - wrongfully imo - sceptical about him. Hardly won people over yet. 

I'm sceptical about all the "suits" at City. MA is just another one.

Hes down as our speaker at the Senior Reds later this week. Hope he turns up.

7 hours ago, billywedlock said:

I wish he would stop talking publicly and just do his job. SL and LJ are enough. 

To be fair to him, not so long back people were claiming they weren't hearing enough from people running the club.  And his role is to communicate as the voice of the board and the business side (far more so than SL who holds the purse strings but doesn't run the club on a day-to-day basis.

Sure, it's a bit OTT and maybe a bit contrived but it's still good that the club are coming out and giving the fanbase some credit.  There've been plenty of times where the fans haven't really been acknowledged in the past.  The bottom line is our executives and board, much like the executives and boards of any other club, will get criticism no matter what they do.  If the Chairman or Chief Executive of any football in the country walked on water, you can guarantee there'd be sections of the fans calling them out for not being able to swim.  As things Ashton has done or could have done go, praising the fans in a slightly OTT way certain isn't the worst of them and I appreciate the sentiment, however clumsy the execution.

22 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

To be fair to him, not so long back people were claiming they weren't hearing enough from people running the club.  And his role is to communicate as the voice of the board and the business side (far more so than SL who holds the purse strings but doesn't run the club on a day-to-day basis.

Sure, it's a bit OTT and maybe a bit contrived but it's still good that the club are coming out and giving the fanbase some credit.  There've been plenty of times where the fans haven't really been acknowledged in the past.  The bottom line is our executives and board, much like the executives and boards of any other club, will get criticism no matter what they do.  If the Chairman or Chief Executive of any football in the country walked on water, you can guarantee there'd be sections of the fans calling them out for not being able to swim.  As things Ashton has done or could have done go, praising the fans in a slightly OTT way certain isn't the worst of them and I appreciate the sentiment, however clumsy the execution.

But he is perpetuating the "sleeping giant" myth that is a nonsense, and holds us up to ridicule, and builds expectation and delusions of grandeur (amongst some of our less "thoughtful" fans) which we will always struggle to meet. It also risks fueling suspicion and mistrust amongst some fans (remember Ashton was full of "you'd be surprised who is interested in the job" before we appointed a novice coach of a midtable L1 team) for those in "suits".

We may have had 4,000 at Fulham, but we didn't at Wolves, and we won't at Hull.

We wanted to know what was going on with transfers, we don't need the sort of childish flattery that Rovers have to constantly shower their 7 thousand "wonderful" fans with. The "truly spectacular" bit came across as contrived, as you put it. That's the word I was looking for.

The sleeping giant thing is a nonsense because, even if there were 40,000 people desperate to see us next season, we only have room for 27,000, which is hardly "giant" in the Championship, never mind the PL. 

12 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

I would say to him: just be honest. Genuine. We know when we are being fed BS. The "truly spectacular fanbase" thing is silly and embarrassing; how then would he describe Man Utd's, Liverpool's or Celtic's fanbase? Leave that sort of gushing nonsense to Rovers.

Get your point but let's not pretend we're not also guilty of it on here, in certain sections anyway.

A 'Sleeping Giant' is surely someone like Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday, Portsmouth or perhaps Coventry.  To my mind the phrase means a team with a big stadium, a big fanbase and an actual history of winning top trophies and competing in the top division.

What we have is that ever unrealised 'potential'.

12 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

Maybe he was genuinely impressed?

Came here thinking eepibg giant blah blah, everyone says that, gets to Fulham and thinks, okay you don't get this everywhere! 

Obviously lost something in translation from the original Chinese 

As for 'sleeping giant' , saw it on here the other day and stopped reading the thread !

I'll go with potential, even massive potential. Promise, yes but giant ..... nah. 

18 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

Obviously lost something in translation from the original Chinese 

As for 'sleeping giant' , saw it on here the other day and stopped reading the thread !

I'll go with potential, even massive potential. Promise, yes but giant ..... nah. 

A smallish giant perhaps ? 

Something along the lines of Flint .

Archived