IGNORED

Tasteless reporting by Sky (not sure about others).

Tipps69

Sky are reporting on their website about some rather tasteless banners & chanting that we're put up / sung at the Man Utd vs Liverpool fixture both last night & last week.

Surely the best way for Sky to of dealt with this, would of been for them to have said nothing & to of allowed the masses to not know anything of what had been written / sung?

But instead they feel the need to incite even more hatred into what is already a very volatile fixture!!

I just find it needless & in very poor taste!!

1 hour ago, Tipps69 said:

Sky are reporting on their website about some rather tasteless banners & chanting that we're put up / sung at the Man Utd vs Liverpool fixture both last night & last week.

Surely the best way for Sky to of dealt with this, would of been for them to have said nothing & to of allowed the masses to not know anything of what had been written / sung?

But instead they feel the need to incite even more hatred into what is already a very volatile fixture!!

And by bringing this up on an Internet forum, are you not doing what Sky has done?

:facepalm:

26 minutes ago, bcfcfinker said:

And by bringing this up on an Internet forum, are you not doing what Sky has done?

But....otib is not a national/international forum.

I was driving home listening to R5 commentary and they said they couldn't concentrate on he match because they were too distracted by the punch up in the stands.

"Man U v Liverpool clash passes off with no crowd trouble" will never be newspaper headlines.

Any more than " championship footballers well behaved during day at the races " would be.

1 hour ago, Robbored said:

But....otib is not a national/international forum.

I was driving home listening to R5 commentary and they said they couldn't concentrate on he match because they were too distracted by the punch up in the stands.

This!

The last couple of minutes of the game almost didn't happen, they were creaming themselves about what was happening in the stands, and then they kept talking about it for a few minutes after the game too. Went on twitter expecting to see videos of a mass punch up, nothing

That told me all I needed to know

I was watching it (not that closely, admittedly) on BT Sport and all I saw was a reasonably good football match that ended as a contest at half time and slowly petered out during the second half. If there had been anything significant happening I'm sure I'd have paid more attention.

6 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

This!

The last couple of minutes of the game almost didn't happen, they were creaming themselves about what was happening in the stands, and then they kept talking about it for a few minutes after the game too. Went on twitter expecting to see videos of a mass punch up, nothing

That told me all I needed to know

Seemed to be Liverpool fans in the United end. It really is a nasty fixture been to a couple in the past.

2 hours ago, bcfcfinker said:

No because me putting something on here is probably reaching a couple of hundred people at most & I've not posted any link to the story & it's highly unlikely that I have reached any Liverpool fans & maybe fuelled anymore hatred!!

Sky posting a story on their website that states that the police took down an offending banner on a motorway bridge (that may have been seen by a couple of thousand people) & the then subsequent chanting that they state was barely noticeable before it fizzled out has brought it to the light to many millions of people as well as to those Liverpool fans who it was meant offence too, who may not of been aware of such tasteless chanting / banners until Sky have decided to highlight such acts!!

How many Liverpool fans do you think I may have pointed in the direction of the story & caused to fuel further hatred?

How many Liverpool fans do you think may of read a multi-national reaching website that probably has millions of hits a day?

7 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Yeah let's just ignore it and let them get away with it, good idea.

But you're not going to do anything about it are you? There's no reason you need to hear about it. The authorities can take care of it without everyone else having to hear about it, creating more tension, like the OP says. 

Modern news culture is very bizarre. We're given so much information about things which are really best left to the relevant people involved. It's all about narratives/stories rather than facts and priority is given to whatever 'narrative' is popular at the moment. Football violence is always a popular narrative and will be given way more coverage than is appropriate. You wouldn't get national news stories about the same number of guy's fighting in a town centre on a Saturday night. 

A few months ago one of the top stories on the bbc radio news was about a Islamist inspired attack on a couple of people with a knife in Egypt (no one was killed). Why the hell do we need to know about that? A lot worse things happen daily in the UK alone. But of course it fits with the attention grabbing Islamist narrative so it makes one of the top stories. 

I say this as someone who has worked with the Beeb quite a bit. News has become a very dangerous thing since it became less about journalism and truth and more about stories/narrative that pull in viewers. 

6 minutes ago, RedSA said:

But you're not going to do anything about it are you? There's no reason you need to hear about it. The authorities can take care of it without everyone else having to hear about it, creating more tension, like the OP says. 

You could make the same case for any news. Whatever happened is serious enough that UEFA has brought eight charges against the two teams already so it's hardly nothing.

6 minutes ago, RedSA said:

I say this as someone who has worked with the Beeb quite a bit. News has become a very dangerous thing since it became less about journalism and truth and more about stories/narrative that pull in viewers. 

Clickbait yes, but this is hardly nothing. A Liverpool banner was unfurled in the home end, there was fighting, etc. etc. it's not your everyday game. So it's newsworthy.

MUFC charged over crowd disturbances, the throwing of objects and stairways being blocked.

Charges against LFC: Illicit chants, setting off fireworks, throwing of objects, Crowd disturbances, arriving late for Kick-off

Interesting that they ignored the chanting at last weeks game and the constant elbows thrown by Fellaini.

15 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

You could make the same case for any news. Whatever happened is serious enough that UEFA has brought eight charges against the two teams already so it's hardly nothing.

Clickbait yes, but this is hardly nothing. A Liverpool banner was unfurled in the home end, there was fighting, etc. etc. it's not your everyday game. So it's newsworthy.

Exactly the point. When people start really questioning why we are given the news we are given it will be quite an interesting time. 

Many many much more important (both positive and negative) things are happening in the world than some blokes chucking chairs etc at each other. Yet this is deemed news worthy. Same with the whole Cheltenham thing, I mean seriously? Some drunk guy's pissing in a glass on the news. 

Often when you talk in this way people deem it as a bit conspiracy theorist but having worked in tv and having friends pretty high up in advertising I can assure you there's a very manipulative angle to what you're presented with on tv. 

1 minute ago, RedSA said:

Exactly the point. When people start really questioning why we are given the news we are given it will be quite an interesting time. 

Many many much more important (both positive and negative) things are happening in the world than some blokes chucking chairs etc at each other. Yet this is deemed news worthy. Same with the whole Cheltenham thing, I mean seriously? Some drunk guy's pissing in a glass on the news. 

Often when you talk in this way people deem it as a bit conspiracy theorist but having worked in tv and having friends pretty high up in advertising I can assure you there's a very manipulative angle to what you're presented with on tv. 

I've worked in papers around the country for many years too. If you tar the whole of the media with the same brush as the red-top press, you're not being fair to the good work that goes on in large areas.

The fact is, people read shit like 'footballer pisses in pint glass'. People love to be outraged. If people liked reading good news all the time, it would be on the front of the papers, the editors want people to buy them after all.

Back to the topic in hand, how exactly is this not newsworthy? Two major English clubs chanting vile stuff at each other, chucking seats and fighting with each other. It's pretty bad and there's no reason to sweep it under the carpet.

Imagine Rovers did something similar and the Post didn't report it, to stop 'inciting hatred'. There'd be bedlam on here.

18 minutes ago, Super said:

MUFC charged over crowd disturbances, the throwing of objects and stairways being blocked.

Charges against LFC: Illicit chants, setting off fireworks, throwing of objects, Crowd disturbances, arriving late for Kick-off

Interesting that they ignored the chanting at last weeks game and the constant elbows thrown by Fellaini.

Ignoring the chanting last week was pretty poor, could be clearly heard on tv.

To be fair to Fellaini he plays like that every week. Should have seen red in both legs.

40 minutes ago, RedSA said:

A few months ago one of the top stories on the bbc radio news was about a Islamist inspired attack on a couple of people with a knife in Egypt (no one was killed). Why the hell do we need to know about that? A lot worse things happen daily in the UK alone. But of course it fits with the attention grabbing Islamist narrative so it makes one of the top stories. 

You aren't seriously suggesting the BBC has an anti Islam agenda are you ? - I would say most definitely the opposite with lots of things happening not being given the level of reporting they deserve due to perceived sensitivities.

8 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Ignoring the chanting last week was pretty poor, could be clearly heard on tv.

To be fair to Fellaini he plays like that every week. Should have seen red in both legs.

that's true. The arriving late for kick off is a strange charge?! Seriously UEFA!

28 minutes ago, Super said:

Were the Scouse mugs sitting in the home support arrested ? It is supposed to be an offence I believe.

10 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

I've worked in papers around the country for many years too. If you tar the whole of the media with the same brush as the red-top press, you're not being fair to the good work that goes on in large areas.

The fact is, people read shit like 'footballer pisses in pint glass'. People love to be outraged. If people liked reading good news all the time, it would be on the front of the papers, the editors want people to buy them after all.

Back to the topic in hand, how exactly is this not newsworthy? Two major English clubs chanting vile stuff at each other, chucking seats and fighting with each other. It's pretty bad and there's no reason to sweep it under the carpet.

Imagine Rovers did something similar and the Post didn't report it, to stop 'inciting hatred'. There'd be bedlam on here.

Exactly. But its not presented to you as 'stuff you like to be outraged/made fearful by' its presented to you as 'news' as in 'this is the world right now'. Whether its people's own ignorance or not there's a conflation of 'newsworthy' and 'important'. Two completely different things. 

A lot of people don't realise they're being sold something for entertainment, like the way you do when watch an action movie in the cinema. The transparency, or lack of it, is whats dangerous, because the misplaced trust is exploited by many people/companies/governments etc. 

8 minutes ago, Super said:

that's true. The arriving late for kick off is a strange charge?! Seriously UEFA!

Good thing we weren't charged when there were all the ticketing issues getting onto the Dolman a couple of seasons ago otherwise Aizoon and Horace could be banged up now?

3 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Good thing we weren't charged when there were all the ticketing issues getting onto the Dolman a couple of seasons ago otherwise Aizoon and Horace could be banged up now?

Even better news that leaving early isn't an offence. We'd lose 20% of our fanbase! 

5 minutes ago, RedSA said:

Exactly. But its not presented to you as 'stuff you like to be outraged/made fearful by' its presented to you as 'news' as in 'this is the world right now'. Whether its people's own ignorance or not there's a conflation of 'newsworthy' and 'important'. Two completely different things. 

A lot of people don't realise they're being sold something for entertainment, like the way you do when watch an action movie in the cinema. The transparency, or lack of it, is whats dangerous, because the misplaced trust is exploited by many people/companies/governments etc. 

Of course tabloids pray on people's prejudices, and in some ways it deserves respect, but it's not quality journalism.

Without meaning to get too sidetracked, IMO getting outraged by what happened last night is fair enough.

24 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

You aren't seriously suggesting the BBC has an anti Islam agenda are you ? - I would say most definitely the opposite with lots of things happening not being given the level of reporting they deserve due to perceived sensitivities.

From my experience, whether you feel the BBC is anti islam or not depends pretty much whether you're a lefty or a righty. The further you go either way, the more you feel they're biased against your own beliefs on the matter. That might suggest they're pretty middle of the road on it. 

My point was that 15 years ago you would never even had a sniff of that story. But because of the particular narrative the news was following at that point (pretty close after the Paris attacks) it was presented as something really important, as it fed into all the fear/hysteria at the time. And as any TV/Newspaper editor knows, If you want attention/sales/audience you play to fear. Of course a couple of people wielding a knife somewhere very far away really is nothing, but as they were Muslims it became part of the overarching narrative of the post Paris fear story. 

4 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Of course tabloids pray on people's prejudices, and in some ways it deserves respect, but it's not quality journalism.

Without meaning to get too sidetracked, IMO getting outraged by what happened last night is fair enough.

Fair enough, you're entitled to you're opinion. It's a bit of rabbit hole that conversation and don't want to drag this too far off topic!

5 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Totally agree with you ! But this is sky and they run everything their way and are never wrong!

30 minutes ago, Super said:

UEFA have some bizarre rules.

Manchester City have to get a coach from where the team stays before home games.... Despite it being across the road at their £200 million training facility!

Archived