IGNORED

Feeder club.

Tipps69

What's the chances that now with LJ at the helm & with GJ not far away at Cheltenham or with a few of his old team mates being involved at Yeovil, we could find ourselves getting a bit of a link together to maybe send out a few of our youngsters to get first team experience?

It's something I think we should of struck up years ago, it would beneficial to all clubs & players involved & may even allow us first crack at any gems that any club that has such a link with us has.

And as a similar link, what's to stop us having such a link with a "bigger" club, so they could send us their youngsters in the hope of getting first team football at a slightly lower standard.

It's got to be better for those players involved, rather than only playing U21 / reserve team fixtures.

Or am I missing something? Is there a reason why such links haven't been developed?

It always makes sense on the face of it to me, but the fact that it doesn't happen makes me think that there's a reason for it.  Maybe it's unnecessary and our players go to clubs who want a player in a particular position. It would be nice to have a junior club, maybe nobody wants to be it.

I certainly wouldn't want City to be a feeder club to certain Premiership teams that I don't like.

It's just something that has struck me as being so basically beneficial to all involved!!

We get to send youngsters out for first team experience that they are unlikely to get with us, which means the players get the benefit of playing at a higher standard & in front of more spectators than they would get in our U21's / reserves.

And means we get the benefit of knowing if these players are ever likely to be able to step up to our first team.

This in turn allows the clubs that are loaning out players in to likely have a higher quality of youngster to use on a regular basis to allow them to improve as a club at no financial cost to them.

And maybe we will have the chance at a "rough diamond" that they may have on their books.

I know it is something that is done more abroad & has been something the bigger clubs have done in England with a foreign club so that they can obtain a work permit for a youngster that may not currently be able to play here but there must be ways of doing it lower down the pecking order that could help us out as a club.

There are a few clubs we could use in this way, Cheltenham, FGR, Yeovil & Exeter?

And for the benefit of us being able to take a few players on for our benefit, Southampton, Bournemouth & WBA?

Obviously it doesn't have to be both ways but the option is surely there for us as a club to look into?

I'm afraid I don't buy the idea that this is beneficial to all.

Put the shoe on the other foot, if Man Utd/Liverpool said to us that they would like us to be their feeder club, take their young players to give them experience and they take any of our exceptional young players off our hands.  I certainly wouldn't be for it, acting as a guinea pig for some other team's young players.

Cheltenham/Yeovil should aspire to be in the same league as us (and in fairness they have been numerous times recently) in the same way that we should aspire to be in the same league as Man Utd/Liverpool

21 minutes ago, JM91 said:

I'm afraid I don't buy the idea that this is beneficial to all.

Put the shoe on the other foot, if Man Utd/Liverpool said to us that they would like us to be their feeder club, take their young players to give them experience and they take any of our exceptional young players off our hands.  I certainly wouldn't be for it, acting as a guinea pig for some other team's young players.

Cheltenham/Yeovil should aspire to be in the same league as us (and in fairness they have been numerous times recently) in the same way that we should aspire to be in the same league as Man Utd/Liverpool

And while we should be aspiring to being in the same division as such clubs, just how many times have we been in the last 30 years shall we say for starters??

And the same goes for Cheltenham / Yeovil, how many times have we been in the same or below them in them in the pecking order in the last 30 years?

There's nothing to stop either party cancelling an agreement if we should end up in such a position, is there? We'd have a few months notice of this happening so that it wouldn't massively affect anyone involved.

26 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Well it worked for PNE when Darren Ferguson was at the helm, his Daddy helped out with a few Man Yoo youngsters...

And isn't that link still kind of there, in some small way?

They certainly still seem to be able to get more Man Utd players on loan than we have over the years!!

And it certainly doesn't seem to of done PNE any harm or deterred them from their ambitions of maybe playing in the same division as them!!

1 minute ago, Tipps69 said:

And isn't that link still kind of there, in some small way?

They certainly still seem to be able to get more Man Utd players on loan than we have over the years!!

And it certainly doesn't seem to of done PNE any harm or deterred them from their ambitions of maybe playing in the same division as them!!

Yep it seems to have always been there, even Beckham went on loan at Deepdale.

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Yep it seems to have always been there, even Beckham went on loan at Deepdale.

That's a fairly lengthy link they've had there, I wonder just how many players PNE have profited from by having such a link?

And I wonder how often PNE have thought "We better not get promotion into the same division because it will mean the end of link"?

Maybe that explains why PNE haven't gone into the top flight recently? :whistle:

4 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

That's a fairly lengthy link they've had there, I wonder just how many players PNE have profited from by having such a link?

And I wonder how often PNE have thought "We better not get promotion into the same division because it will mean the end of link"?

Maybe that explains why PNE haven't gone into the top flight recently? :whistle:

I love a good conspiracy theory!! 

Just now, Tipps69 said:

Didn`t it stop for a while when SAF took exception to them sacking dopey Darren?

12 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Didn`t it stop for a while when SAF took exception to them sacking dopey Darren?

It certainly did,not like SAF to throw his toys out the pram.its easier  for big clubs up north to send youngsters out to lower league clubs nearby to stop the youngsters travelling,if only we had a bigger club down these parts :pacifier:

We've recently had managers who were ex Yeovil and ex Cheltenham, but we didn't seem to use any links to seeing as they are so local. Didn't send players to them or get as many from them as thought we might. I can see us dealing with Bournemouth more now maybe.

Archived