IGNORED

England world champions

Barry Sheene

13 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

Argentina 3-2 for me

Edit: maybe that time we thrashed Croatia before the 2010 WC

Yep, that's the benchmark of a thoroughly decent performance for me.  That's the game I always go back to.  2005....strewth!

12 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

The football in the second half was much better from England. To put some perspective on it though, their back 4 were Can, Tah, Rudiger and Hector. Very good players but not close to what their back 4 will look like come tournament time. So while on paper you see England beat Germany, it isn't like England beat the Germany that will be on the pitch in June. 

Now the team that played tonight should be mostly the team that stars in June. I don't really rate Cahill and think he's to blame for their second goal but he is at least in our top 3 options so I will leave it be for now. Henderson could've been the worst player on the pitch and Barkley should be occupying that spot. On the wing instead off Lallana or Welbeck should be Vardy. Looked 4-3-3 to me so I would go: Hart, Clyne, Cahill/Stones Smalling Rose/Shaw then Dier Barkley and Alli as the 3 CM and Kane up top with Vardy and one other winger who I'm not convinced who it should be yet. Maybe Rooney but you lose pace. Maybe Welbeck but not so much quality. 

It looks good for England if they keep the majority of the team that played tonight on the pitch. 

You have to accept that the midfield are there as a unit.  Henderson gives you energy and although he isn't perfect he fits what Roy wants in his midfield three.  Had Barkley played there instead I think they'd have passed around us.  To me, you think about playing Barkley in a game where you dominate possession, not against a team like Germany.  I don't think we are good enough to pick your eleven best players (with the ball), so you have to look at other assets too.

11 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I bet Hodgson throws the baby out with the bathwater and plays Rooney @ Euro 2016 ahead of Kane or Vardy!

Bet Kane starts.  For once we have a striker who can play up top on his own, which is the fashion.  Whether Rooney plays elsewhere, God knows.  Personally, I'd go with a very similar side to last night.  Options (for me) are Rose or Gibbs, Cahill or Stones, Lallana or Sterling.  I'd keep Vardy for his 30 minute impact.  Hart will start ahead of Butland, no doubt.   If Lallana could add that final killer instinct either shot or pass he would be great.  Tell me someone outside last night's eleven that receives the ball on either foot as well as him.  Very good technically, but a bit panicky in and around the box.

11 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

Good result, well played England , only spoiled by an horrendous kit, who thinks of this shit! seriously.

I quite like the kit.  It's never gonna be 1966/70, nor 1977, but we won in it, so who cares.

4 or 5 years ago on his day, Wayne Rooney is a world-class STRIKER. We rarely saw the club form for country. Now is a number 10, he doesn't score as many goals and there other people better suited and better period for the number 10 role. Rooney could't do what Alli did last night nor can he replicate Kane or Vardys form now. 

Wayne Rooney certainly isn't overrated. Jack Wilshere is overrated. He and Luke shaw should be nowhere near the squad as they've hardly featured this season but if fit they'll both be selected. England managers have always gone with big names no matter what form they are in because they will get slated for leaving them out when we get knocked out. 

4 hours ago, Turbored said:

Most of rooneys goals have come against far inferior opposition and on the big games and in the tournaments he just doesn't turn up. He has had his day and chances so it's now time for him to move over and let some young hungry boys have their chance.

Rooney has always suffered from our lack of options. He's clearly not been fit enough to be in contention at the start of these tournaments, yet we fast track him into the squad in hope he might pull a rabbit out the hat. Only in 2004 has he been fully fit and he did well.

Bit worried about Stones, he seems to make one small error and his whole head drops. Great ball player, arguably one of our best since Ferdinand, but Ferdinand knew the right time in when to lump it long and when to play. Think Hodgson will go Cahill and Smalling for the defensive two at the Euro's.

On 26/03/2016 at 12:51, Davefevs said:

Yep, that's the benchmark of a thoroughly decent performance for me.  That's the game I always go back to.  2005....strewth!

You have to accept that the midfield are there as a unit.  Henderson gives you energy and although he isn't perfect he fits what Roy wants in his midfield three.  Had Barkley played there instead I think they'd have passed around us.  To me, you think about playing Barkley in a game where you dominate possession, not against a team like Germany.  I don't think we are good enough to pick your eleven best players (with the ball), so you have to look at other assets too.

Bet Kane starts.  For once we have a striker who can play up top on his own, which is the fashion.  Whether Rooney plays elsewhere, God knows.  Personally, I'd go with a very similar side to last night.  Options (for me) are Rose or Gibbs, Cahill or Stones, Lallana or Sterling.  I'd keep Vardy for his 30 minute impact.  Hart will start ahead of Butland, no doubt.   If Lallana could add that final killer instinct either shot or pass he would be great.  Tell me someone outside last night's eleven that receives the ball on either foot as well as him.  Very good technically, but a bit panicky in and around the box.

I quite like the kit.  It's never gonna be 1966/70, nor 1977, but we won in it, so who cares.

Rose, Gibbs, Cahill, Stones, Lallana, Sterling... With the exception of Stones, that's a depressing list

51 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Do you mean right now or overall inclusive of potential? Right now, current ability wise, I might agree but overall in the next decade I think he could surpass all in that list.

Right now.  I get that we want ball playing defenders, but even those know when to play and when not to.  I didn't see last night, but I've seen enough of Everton on the telly to know his decision making is immature.

Rio Ferdinand is probably the best ball playing defender we've had since (probably) Bobby Moore, but he decided that he would concentrate on learning the art of defending.  He certainly did, absolute class in his day.  Stones should use him as his example.  If he does, then I think you're right.  He's got the talent.

Archived