IGNORED

England world champions

Barry Sheene

5 minutes ago, Barry Sheene said:

If it's good enough for Scotland to claim to be world champions when they beat us at Wembley in1968 then after tonight England are world champions

Dele Ali better player than Jim Baxter any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

1 minute ago, Iron Man said:

I know it's a friendly but that's probably the best England performance in surely over a decade.

Yep I cannot think of a game better certainly in the last 5 or 6 years, except maybe win against Spain a few years back, defence was incredible that night. Play like that and we have a chance.

3 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

I know it's a friendly but that's probably the best England performance in surely over a decade.

How bloody refreshing was that,are we world beaters,no. But after sitting through turgid friendlies and tournament games finally we are attacking and looking more than half decent,I would rather go out in the euros playing like that than we have in the last few,no doubt Roy will revert to type and put Rooney straight back in when fit so make the most of tonight 

The football in the second half was much better from England. To put some perspective on it though, their back 4 were Can, Tah, Rudiger and Hector. Very good players but not close to what their back 4 will look like come tournament time. So while on paper you see England beat Germany, it isn't like England beat the Germany that will be on the pitch in June. 

Now the team that played tonight should be mostly the team that stars in June. I don't really rate Cahill and think he's to blame for their second goal but he is at least in our top 3 options so I will leave it be for now. Henderson could've been the worst player on the pitch and Barkley should be occupying that spot. On the wing instead off Lallana or Welbeck should be Vardy. Looked 4-3-3 to me so I would go: Hart, Clyne, Cahill/Stones Smalling Rose/Shaw then Dier Barkley and Alli as the 3 CM and Kane up top with Vardy and one other winger who I'm not convinced who it should be yet. Maybe Rooney but you lose pace. Maybe Welbeck but not so much quality. 

It looks good for England if they keep the majority of the team that played tonight on the pitch. 

25 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

The football in the second half was much better from England. To put some perspective on it though, their back 4 were Can, Tah, Rudiger and Hector. Very good players but not close to what their back 4 will look like come tournament time. So while on paper you see England beat Germany, it isn't like England beat the Germany that will be on the pitch in June. 

Now the team that played tonight should be mostly the team that stars in June. I don't really rate Cahill and think he's to blame for their second goal but he is at least in our top 3 options so I will leave it be for now. Henderson could've been the worst player on the pitch and Barkley should be occupying that spot. On the wing instead off Lallana or Welbeck should be Vardy. Looked 4-3-3 to me so I would go: Hart, Clyne, Cahill/Stones Smalling Rose/Shaw then Dier Barkley and Alli as the 3 CM and Kane up top with Vardy and one other winger who I'm not convinced who it should be yet. Maybe Rooney but you lose pace. Maybe Welbeck but not so much quality. 

It looks good for England if they keep the majority of the team that played tonight on the pitch. 

They didn't play 'England'. We have Rooney, Walcott and Wilshere at least to come back :facepalm:

personally I would go the team that finished the game except for Hart. 

With our group there is no reason not to make the knockouts and then f it, go for the win and for the pride. Each game is a cup final at that point. 

8 minutes ago, 29AR said:

They didn't play 'England'. We have Rooney, Walcott and Wilshere at least to come back :facepalm:

personally I would go the team that finished the game except for Hart. 

With our group there is no reason not to make the knockouts and then f it, go for the win and for the pride. Each game is a cup final at that point. 

Spot on

1 minute ago, Shtanley said:

I'm a huge fan of Rooney, he clearly has to be in the squad but after tonight I'm seriously considering whether he'd be in my starting 11. 

Not the player he was and I think he 'looms' over others. He's not quite a striker (anymore), not quite a CAM and in any case out of both form and sharpness. I'd go balls deep and leave him at home. 

It would ruffle feathers no doubt, but after the easy rides some England stalwarts have had I recent years I think it's about time the 'big 4(6)' players realised their club doesn't earn you a call up. 

Unfortunately i still despair that him, wilshere et al will be in France this summer. 

4 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Not the player he was and I think he 'looms' over others. He's not quite a striker (anymore), not quite a CAM and in any case out of both form and sharpness. I'd go balls deep and leave him at home. 

It would ruffle feathers no doubt, but after the easy rides some England stalwarts have had I recent years I think it's about time the 'big 4(6)' players realised their club doesn't earn you a call up. 

Unfortunately i still despair that him, wilshere et al will be in France this summer. 

Rooney has 51 goals in 109 international appearances. You really think he's only being picked because he plays for United?

Not saying he's a starter any more but I don't understand why it's so fashionable to give Rooney stick.

13 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Rooney has 51 goals in 109 international appearances. You really think he's only being picked because he plays for United?

Not saying he's a starter any more but I don't understand why it's so fashionable to give Rooney stick.

Nothing fashionable to it; I used to be a huge fan of his, even up to 12 months ago!!  

But you're only as good as your last game or season. This year the new breed is coming through, tough cookie. He's been abject at United this year. He's done it in qualifying, sure, but frankly for the 'headache' he causes and the lift it could give Vardy and Kane he'd be the sacrificial lamb. Big call, big decision, but I think it's one to make. 

5 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Nothing fashionable to it; I used to be a huge fan of his, even up to 12 months ago!!  

But you're only as good as your last game or season. This year the new breed is coming through, tough cookie. He's been abject at United this year. He's done it in qualifying, sure, but frankly for the 'headache' he causes and the lift it could give Vardy and Kane he'd be the sacrificial lamb. Big call, big decision, but I think it's one to make. 

Don't disagree that he doesn't make the team any more, but I'd still have him in my 23. Also a very reliable penalty taker.

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Don't disagree that he doesn't make the team any more, but I'd still have him in my 23. Also a very reliable penalty taker.

I can see why. But in the 23 he's hanging over everyone. For me due to his name and his past successes he goes as a starter or not at all so as to let the leash loose on those who replace him.

On his day he's sensational. But as a squad I think we will be better off without. 

The comment earlier re big 4 was not aimed at him per se. Definitely at your Stevie G's who'd always have a twinge before every friendly and plenty of unfashionable qualifiers too.  

Frankly I think for once let's forget the hype and go for who is in form and fit and has been for a sustained period. There's no room for Rooney in that and, for the lift it could give Vardy, Kane etc I would say hard luck Wayne. Hard luck indeed because he has a great record, but records are made to be broken. 

28 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I don't like Rooney, and haven't for a number of years now, his best years have past and although he still puts in a performance for United from time to time he's very inconsistent and our qualifying group was not that hard lets face it.

9 hours ago, Iron Man said:

What impressed and pleased me was that when 2-0 down, the England team were knocking the ball around and playing some good football. Having pulled one goal back it then looked like they would get a second and I was going to be content with that. The third goal was a real pleasant surprise.

9 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I don't like Rooney, and haven't for a number of years now, his best years have past and although he still puts in a performance for United from time to time he's very inconsistent and our qualifying group was not that hard lets face it.

Can't stand Wayne either. Biggest overrated turd I've ever seen.

Yes I know his goal ratio for England is nearly 1 in every 2 games but what's his goal assists stats? How many of his goal tally are penalties? 

Harry Kane and Vardy are fresher and capable and to an extent, an unknown quantity for most opposition teams.

11 hours ago, Iron Man said:

At last,we have genuine pace in the side,pass the ball quickly with young,hungry players.my only notes of concern are in the middle at the back-vulnerable..and the Rooney thing-worrying.......................

10 hours ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

I bet Hodgson throws the baby out with the bathwater and plays Rooney @ Euro 2016 ahead of Kane or Vardy!

It makes me feel sick to type this,but I wouldn't be shocked if your right..when everyone is fit we have an embarrassment of riches-if Roy plays semi-fit Wayne he should be metaphorically strung up.

1 hour ago, Septic Peg said:

Can't stand Wayne either. Biggest overrated turd I've ever seen.

Yes I know his goal ratio for England is nearly 1 in every 2 games but what's his goal assists stats? How many of his goal tally are penalties? 

Harry Kane and Vardy are fresher and capable and to an extent, an unknown quantity for most opposition teams.

And lets face it most of those goals have been in friendlies or against teams like San Marino. He has what, 4 goals in major tournaments? I know he only scored his first world cup goal in 2014!

Archived