IGNORED

Wayne Rooney

JM91

What role should Wayne Rooney play at Euro 2016?  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, JM91 said:

What role should Wayne Rooney have at this years Euros?

Be there on the bench. His versatility is a good option. I know everyone will say he shouldn't go at all but there need to be at least a few that have been to a few tournaments around. He's still an ok option if needed. You know he'll put in the shift if you need it. 

14 minutes ago, JM91 said:

What role should Wayne Rooney have at this years Euros?

Leave him at home and give Kane and Vardy (and the press) a day off from the pressure of him in the background. 

The last thing we need is for Kane on the 70 mark to be worrying Wayne's about to replace him or Roy having the decision of going for the 'safe' option in Wayne or the in-your-face, grit and down right determination that Vardy gives you. 

If Rooney played with the gusto he once did it wouldn't be a question. The truth is he looks (to me) to have lost his hunger and his drive in the past few years. Compare him to Vardy for instance. Probably a product of believing his own hype. 

Personally believe he is a backward step. He has been absolutely fantastic for England but I believe we need to move on and right now is the perfect time. Kane, Vardy, Sturridge infront of him as a striker. Would rather have Alli and Barkley in behind.

Thought Alli was magnificent tonight along with Kane and Rose. 

Mind you I'm a Spurs fan!!

Oh he'll be in the team alright! We always fall back onto the players who dont quite cut it anymore. 

Its unbelievable that hes our all time scorer. I dont believe he deserves it. And he certainly doesnt deserve to start in front of anyone who played v Germany. Fantastic performance. Lets hope Woy sticks with the younger more hungry players. Thats the one thing i like about Hodgson, that he gives them a go. 

23 minutes ago, nickolas said:

Oh he'll be in the team alright! We always fall back onto the players who dont quite cut it anymore. 

Its unbelievable that hes our all time scorer. I dont believe he deserves it. And he certainly doesnt deserve to start in front of anyone who played v Germany. Fantastic performance. Lets hope Woy sticks with the younger more hungry players. Thats the one thing i like about Hodgson, that he gives them a go. 

It's interesting: I was on the Man United forum a few days ago and there was a thread asking everyone to give their list of top ten United players of all time. Of about 30 lists I read, I think only one featured Rooney.

As a side note, the overwhelming consensus on that site is that Rooney is now past it, with many even up in arms that he could replace Rashford!

58 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

It's interesting: I was on the Man United forum a few days ago and there was a thread asking everyone to give their list of top ten United players of all time. Of about 30 lists I read, I think only one featured Rooney.

As a side note, the overwhelming consensus on that site is that Rooney is now past it, with many even up in arms that he could replace Rashford!

Wouldn't be a shock if Rooney is moved on now..I think both he and Van Gaal will likely go.

2 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

China or MSL maybe? He would still have a fair bit of transfer value, no idea how long on his current contract though.

Wouldn't think China-even for stupid money!...maybe's msl..Wayne needs to move on to a fresh challenge,reckon it will be a positive for him.

• Admin
10 hours ago, 29AR said:

Leave him at home and give Kane and Vardy (and the press) a day off from the pressure of him in the background. 

The last thing we need is for Kane on the 70 mark to be worrying Wayne's about to replace him or Roy having the decision of going for the 'safe' option in Wayne or the in-your-face, grit and down right determination that Vardy gives you. 

If Rooney played with the gusto he once did it wouldn't be a question. The truth is he looks (to me) to have lost his hunger and his drive in the past few years. Compare him to Vardy for instance. Probably a product of believing his own hype. 

Yet over the last 2 years that followed the disaster in Brazil, in which time Roy has refreshed the squad with a lot of the old guard stepping aside, Rooney has played 14 times. He has scored 11 goals. If he's fit, (and properly fit, not may be OK by the quarter finals) then he goes.

I would take him but he wouldn't get into my 11, the biggest thing we would miss if Wayne wasn't playing would be his leadership skills. I don't think we have a natural leader in our whole squad and that is a worry!

You might say based on last nights game that we don't need one but when it comes to tournament football you need as many leaders on the pitch as possible. 

Cahill was captain last night but is he really the best we have got?

2 hours ago, nickolas said:

How can he not deserve it? He scored more goals than anyone else and that's all there is to it. Yes he has more caps than Linekar etc but you can only score against the opponents that are put in front of you and he has done that. 

He's scored 51 in 109 which is nearly 1 in 2. Not many players, even some of the worlds best can claim that record at international level, take the following examples - both of whom are arguably two of the best players EVER - Messi (49 in 106) and Ronaldo (55 in 123).

Messi arguably has harder games in South America qualifying but he has players behind him who are world class (Di Maria for example) and still has a very similar record to Rooney.

Ronaldo plays in the same qualifying stages as Rooney does with England and has a worse record (and he takes penalties).

Yes, Rooney isn't the player he was 5 years ago, but when he is retired I believe he will be remembered far more fondly by Man Utd fans and everyone. Poor recent form doesn't change his career. You'd struggle to find a better front 3 than Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez from our generation that have played in the Premier League, and Rooney was pivotal in that.

I agree with you in terms of I don't think he should start but he should definitely go.

2 hours ago, nickolas said:

What a stupid naive comment! On what basis does he "not deserve" to be our leading scorer? He has been our most consistent player over the last 7 or 8 years!

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

Yet over the last 2 years that followed the disaster in Brazil, in which time Roy has refreshed the squad with a lot of the old guard stepping aside, Rooney has played 14 times. He has scored 11 goals. If he's fit, (and properly fit, not may be OK by the quarter finals) then he goes.

It's a cracking record; but let's not forget it includes two games v San Marino, games v Scotland, Lithuania etc. The point of referencing those games is not to downplay what is a very good record, but more to highlight would Vardy or Kane have had a dissimilar return? I think they'd have had equally good returns. 

Leave him at home as I said in other thread all his goals have come mainly against inferior competition and in all the big games and tournaments he never shows up. He has had his day and chance so now he has to move over and let some of the young hungry boys have their chance.

7 hours ago, frenchred said:

What a stupid naive comment! On what basis does he "not deserve" to be our leading scorer? He has been our most consistent player over the last 7 or 8 years!

His goal scoring record is,obviously good,but under scrutiny doesn't Stand in comparison eg;Bobby Charlton..Wayne has fired blanks when it mattere'd most..I even have my doubts that the fantastic young players we have at our disposal can truly flourish with him in the squad.I feel even his presence may inhibit.

I can't decide on this one. My gut feeling is he goes if he's fully fit, and he's on the bench at best given his experience of tournaments,

The same with Wilshere. We have enough quality in midfield and up front that we shouldn't be carrying anyone. 

As for Rooney bashing he does tend to bring it on himself, his older lady penchant, his transfer requests to get more money and his moaning about the fans in SA etc

• Admin
1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

His goal scoring record is,obviously good,but under scrutiny doesn't Stand in comparison eg;Bobby Charlton..Wayne has fired blanks when it mattere'd most..I even have my doubts that the fantastic young players we have at our disposal can truly flourish with him in the squad.I feel even his presence may inhibit.

The Bobby Charlton who scored 35 of his 49 goals in Friendlies or the Home Nations Cup?

His tournament experience will be needed IMO. Like him or not, he's the nations top scorer, be mad to leave him out of the squad altogether. Certainly question marks over a starting place. 

No idea when he's fit to play again, but a run of goals between now and seasons end would be the ideal situation for Hodgson.

Archived