IGNORED

Lower Dolman seats: restricted view issues?

Fat Cigar

Anyone currently sitting in the LD still have their view blocked or partially blocked by a railing or wall? I know there were issues affecting a few dozen seats at the start of the season? 

I sit in E32 row 7 of the LD and view's been fine, but considering shifting over to the next block so I'm more central. 

Be interested to know if people still having problems with railings etc.

Also, someone mentioned elsewhere about the pitch moving 2 metres over towards the West Stand. Any idea what effect that would have for us Lower Dolmaners.

I had a very pleasant call from bcc offering me 10% of my season ticket money back for this issue. Totally unexpected as I had not complained! Also confirmed that the pitch will be moving over by 5 metres in time for next season so no sight line issues, however mine were only very minimal impact

2 minutes ago, frenchred said:

I had a very pleasant call from bcc offering me 10% of my season ticket money back for this issue. Totally unexpected as I had not complained! Also confirmed that the pitch will be moving over by 5 metres in time for next season so no sight line issues, however mine were only very minimal impact

The 5 metres is the total the pitch will move relative to the old position prior to the redevelopment. Half of that has already happened and the rest will happen at the end  of the season. 

12 minutes ago, frenchred said:

That's nice of them. And something I'd expect to be honest. Where in the LD you been sitting this season?

5 metres??!!!

10 minutes ago, pongo88 said:

The 5 metres is the total the pitch will move relative to the old position prior to the redevelopment. Half of that has already happened and the rest will happen at the end  of the season. 

Fair enough if true but that's not how it was explained. I also went to the "6 months to opening party and presentation" where again the only mention was of a 5 metre move

Yes I'm in the end block of Dolman sat at the back of the lower by the ateyo end and has a wall  by the exit blocking the final ten yards by the corner flag.i have to consistently tell people to move nr half time even had to argue with a steward to move,emailed the club nothing was done about it.i won't be sitting there next season

I had issues before the Perspex went in, with the rails.  Then when that was installed I have issues with the sun glaring off it and reflection of steward vests as well during the odd game

Block e30 

Will be moving seats. Not been offered any sort of discount as of yet for the issues we had  

I'm one row from the back of the LD, the view of the pitch is fine but my view of the City fans in the Atyeo corner is blocked by the exits now they've moved across.

Since they made the later alterations around the exits the bloke at the end of the row nearest to it, 2 or 3 rows in front of me, now seems to have his face pressed up against a sheet of perspex all game. He must have to look through it when the action is towards the Atyeo end, but seems less bothered than I would be.

It would be good to know if the exits are now completed, and permanent - hopefully not!! - or whether improvements are planned for the close season. As far as I'm concerned the prominent exits/rails/perspex etc. as they are now make the LD a far less attractive area to watch City than previously.

As for the pitch moving 2.5/5 metres, this is a potentially a major change for those of us who chose our seats with the intention of being relatively close to the action. If it's possible the club should produce images of next season's expected view from various areas of the Dolman, in the same way as they have from the West Stand so we can judge just how big the change will be.

11 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

As for the pitch moving 2.5/5 metres, this is a potentially a major change for those of us who chose our seats with the intention of being relatively close to the action. If it's possible the club should produce images of next season's view from various areas of the Dolman, in the same way as they have from the West Stand so we can see just how big the change will be.

The distance will be the same for everyone... The pitch isn't being moved so its closer to the corporate its being moved to allow a larger run-off around the pitch on both sides for the rugby so players don't end up in the advertising boards all the time.

Think pitches with running tracks (although clearly nothing that dramatic its only an extra couple of meters around the permiter) rather than lopsided towards one stand.

Images are pointless because if you sit on the side you can't possibly be any closer to the action regardless of which side you sit, unless you move even further to the foot of the stand.

9 hours ago, Wilksi said:

I had issues before the Perspex went in, with the rails.  Then when that was installed I have issues with the sun glaring off it and reflection of steward vests as well during the odd game

Block e30 

Will be moving seats. Not been offered any sort of discount as of yet for the issues we had  

Amazing how none of these issues were foreseen. Who on earth has the club paid to design the upgrade? If it was me, I'd be asking for the discount not waiting. 

9 hours ago, Sydneybcfc said:

The distance will be the same for everyone... The pitch isn't being moved so its closer to the corporate its being moved to allow a larger run-off around the pitch on both sides for the rugby so players don't end up in the advertising boards all the time.

Think pitches with running tracks (although clearly nothing that dramatic its only an extra couple of meters around the permiter) rather than lopsided towards one stand.

Images are pointless because if you sit on the side you can't possibly be any closer to the action regardless of which side you sit, unless you move even further to the foot of the stand.

At last, the sensible answer I've been waiting for...

I wonder if us in the LD will notice much difference. Doesn't sound like it. Well, I hope not. Will probably stay in my seat anyway.

Thanks all.  

44 minutes ago, kingswood red said:

I sit in the back row of lower E33, right in the middle. I have sight issues of the Dolman/South stand corner area, had it all season. Also people standing at exits. It was brilliant  before the 'upgrade'.

Before the Upgrade....

Lets all remember how amazing it was!

When there were two tiny refreshment kiosks.

Two sets of toilets...

When you would file out the exits at full time and take 20 minutes to get anywhere.

When fans would gather pitchside from 85 minutes onwards because they wanted to leave early but then we won a corner... (blocking the view of about 5 rows)

Oh how I miss the old Dolman stand without all the mod cons we have now.

God I hate Bristol sport trying to make things better and instead giving me sight issues of the dolman/south stand corner!

1 hour ago, nathredwood said:

Before the Upgrade....

Two sets of toilets...

When you would file out the exits at full time and take 20 minutes to get anywhere.

When fans would gather pitchside from 85 minutes onwards because they wanted to leave early but then we won a corner... (blocking the view of about 5 rows)

God I hate Bristol sport trying to make things better and instead giving me sight issues of the dolman/south stand corner!

I think we all recognise and appreciate the improvements, but perhaps didn't expect it would come at the expense of a view of the entire pitch.  It's a reasonable criticism.

13 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I think we all recognise and appreciate the improvements, but perhaps didn't expect it would come at the expense of a view of the entire pitch.  It's a reasonable criticism.

It also takes a lot longer to exit the Dolman from about 3/4 up, than before the improvements.

2 hours ago, nathredwood said:

Before the Upgrade....

Two sets of toilets...

There's no doubt about the improvement to the toilets and their accessibility. That's a massive plus.

The seats are also a bit bigger, although they were fine before imo.

Everything else about the experience of watching the match from the LD has been made worse by the exits being plonked there - blocking the corners for many and taking away the open view along the whole stand - and the overall exiting system has not improved.

I still hope they can come up with some further ideas to amend the exit areas to make them less unsightly and prominent.

I'm still not sure why it wasn't possible to build a more conventional vomitory into the Dolman, with steps running down towards the pitch either side of the exit from the (former) walkway above.  I don't understand why the steps needed to go out over the vomitory itself and then drop down either side at 90 degrees.  This is unusual and means that the voms protrude further out than a conventional design, creating the issues with sightlines.

Not saying there weren't reasons, but if there were I'd love to know what they were!

• Admin
2 hours ago, nathredwood said:

Before the Upgrade....

Two sets of toilets...

Just for balance:

There were more than two sets of toilets, used to have some by A block, then the bottom of those stairs (at both ends of the stand) and then just inside the DEH

Nowadays you are lucky to get out of the stand within 20 minutes if you are toward the back of any of the upper tiers

It was no harder and possibly quicker to get a beer in the old DEH, to guarantee a pint and be back in some sensible amount of time you have to leave early

Fans now congregate around the voms and rows at the front of the top section instead

Yes, indeed you are correct that the facilities have improved, but let's not pretend it is anywhere near a suitable solution 'yet'

24 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I'm still not sure why it wasn't possible to build a more conventional vomitory into the Dolman, with steps running down towards the pitch either side of the exit from the (former) walkway above.  I don't understand why the steps needed to go out over the vomitory itself and then drop down either side at 90 degrees.  This is unusual and means that the voms protrude further out than a conventional design, creating the issues with sightlines.

Not saying there weren't reasons, but if there were I'd love to know what they were!

Possibly because the original  design was based on having rail seats in the lower Dolman. This meant that the back row had to be lower so that those standing didn't block the view of those sitting in the front row of the upper Dolman. The design works if you stand in the lower section but not if you sit

Another constraint is the original design. During the redevelopment, the original steel frame was exposed at the front, which showed horizontal steel beams at the bottom of the upper section. This couldn't be cut through so the vorms either had to be lower of higher  

Archived