IGNORED

Lower Dolman seats: restricted view issues?

Fat Cigar

Fair point on the toilets. When I sat in the stand it was as a child in the relatively new GWR family enclosure... AKA Dolman bolt on with loads of leg room. Only knew of the toilets at the bottom of either end.

To be honest as numbers decrease with the new west stand opening everything will get easier. Obviously for big games it will be the same as this year but no one should be moaning about bumper crowds every now and then.

The issue is that some people are just never happy. I wonder how many Dolman fans with a restricted view participate in the 80th minute fire drills on a regular basis?

Emailed the club about the moving pitch and something about booking. Had this response (1 hr and 44mins later. Not bad, not bad...)

"The pitch is moving approx. 5 metres so as you are in the lower part it won’t affect your view, the pitch will be a bit further away that’s all."

"I would look at seat options on the plan to see if there is anywhere you want to move to first before you release your seat. Your original seat is held for you until Sunday April 17th."

So, the pitch is moving 5 metres away but that won't affect my view as the pitch will be further away...

1 hour ago, Fat Cigar said:

Emailed the club about the moving pitch and something about booking. Had this response (1 hr and 44mins later. Not bad, not bad...)

"The pitch is moving approx. 5 metres so as you are in the lower part it won’t affect your view, the pitch will be a bit further away that’s all."

"I would look at seat options on the plan to see if there is anywhere you want to move to first before you release your seat. Your original seat is held for you until Sunday April 17th."

So, the pitch is moving 5 metres away but that won't affect my view as the pitch will be further away...

That's 16.5 ft, so at a rough calculation probably the equivalent of moving about 7 rows back.

11 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

That's 16.5 ft, so at a rough calculation probably the equivalent of moving about 7 rows back.

Which is a good thing I guess. Higher up, better view of the pitch, even if it's further from you. My brain isn't able to work these kind of things out, hence the post in the first place! Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

Which is a good thing I guess. Higher up, better view of the pitch, even if it's further from you. My brain isn't able to work these kind of things out, hence the post in the first place! Thanks. 

Well, the pitch will be 16.5ft further away, but at the same level, so you won't be any higher up unless you choose seats further back. If you wanted a higher viewpoint, or even to retain this season's view, and moved back those 7 rows - taking you into the Upper Dolman - to get it, you'd be more like 33ft further back than you are this season of course.

Apologies if I'm misunderstanding your post and pointing out the obvious.:)

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Well, the pitch will be 16.5ft further away, but at the same level, so you won't be any higher up unless you choose seats further back. If you wanted a higher viewpoint, or even to retain this season's view, and moved back those 7 rows - taking you into the Upper Dolman - to get it, you'd be more like 33ft further back than you are this season of course.

So assuming I stick with my current seat (very probable), my view will be worse? More side on and not as elevated? 

Trust me, treat me like an idiot with this...

44 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Thought the pitch had already moved 2.5 m ! So only 2.5 to go towards the west stand, The rest of the area is additional "touch line " / run off for rugby.

2 minutes ago, London expats said:

Thought the pitch had already moved 2.5 m ! So only 2.5 to go towards the west stand, The rest of the area is additional "touch line " / run off for rugby.

Well it has moved 2.5m already, I haven't noticed any difference. Wouldn't that involve digging up the whole pitch?? 

20 minutes ago, London expats said:

If you look at the picture of the south stand (taken from the Atyeo) on "footballgroundguide.com" you will see how far the goal needs to move across to line up with the seating blocks.

54 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

So assuming I stick with my current seat (very probable), my view will be worse? More side on and not as elevated? 

You'll be in exactly the same position as me FC.

The pitch will be 5 metres further away so if you want to retain this season's elevation you'll have to move back a sufficient number of rows to compensate. Which will obviously take you even further away from the touchline.

If  you decide to stay where you are then if anything your view of the pitch as a whole, i.e. the corners, may even be improved from this season, though obviously more distant.

You won't be any more 'side on' than you are now.

I'm going to make my mind up what to do after attempting to judge where the new touchline will be when I'm at AG for the Rotherham game.

Plenty of time to decide whether to change seats after that.

It may well turn out that what the club have told you is correct, and it won't make the significant difference we're fearing.

14 minutes ago, London expats said:

See Fat Cigar's reply from the club earlier today, #32

'The pitch will be moving 5 metres...'

That reads to me that the whole of the 5 metre move is yet to happen.

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The pitch will be 5 metres further away so if you want to retain this season's elevation you'll have to move back a sufficient number of rows to compensate. Which will obviously take you even further away from the touchline.

If  you decide to stay where you are then if anything your view of the pitch as a whole, i.e. the corners, may even be improved from this season, though obviously more distant.

I'm going to make my mind up what to do after attempting to judge where the new touchline will be when I'm at AG for the Rotherham game.

It may well turn out that what the club have told you is correct, and it won't make the significant difference we're fearing.

See BTIG reply the goal mouth will move approx 8 feet towards the west stand. It then lines up with the blocks in South stand as per the pictures. The grass area is increased run off area.

2 minutes ago, London expats said:

See BTIG reply the goal mouth will move approx 8 feet towards the west stand. It then lines up with the blocks in South stand as per the pictures. The grass area is increased run off area.

The figure under discussion is the distance the touchline is yet to be moved away from the front of the LD for next season.

Are you saying that will be about 8ft., and not the 5 metres the club stated in their reply to Fat Cigar?

Any new 'grassy run off area' will not be part of the playing area, and have the same effect of moving the actual pitch further away from spectators.

1 hour ago, Fat Cigar said:

Stop it. The thing is I'm the least practical/logical person in the world. My wife does all the DIY...

Can you ask your wife to get in touch with me? I've got a few outstanding DIY jobs

3 hours ago, Fat Cigar said:

Am I missing something? Yes, ever so slightly. The pitch is how wide however? For the vast majority of the play the actual change in elevation will be I would suspect be almost unnoticeable. Just five metres further away. 

16 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I'll be doing the same. You know something, I may even arrive earlier than normal and try out various seats! My issue with moving a few rows back is that I don't then want to be stuck behind one of those bloody perspex screens or a rail. 

20 hours ago, Fat Cigar said:

Oh cock. So you mean they are rotating the pitch and also raising it?

I haven't a clue where to sit now.

18 hours ago, pongo88 said:

4 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

4 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

Apparently if you sign up to the v.v.v.v.i.p package, and sponsor a matchday ball, you get a tennis umpires chair on the centre spot, bugger of a walk to get a pint at half time though.

5 hours ago, RumRed said:

Apparently if you sign up to the v.v.v.v.i.p package, and sponsor a matchday ball, you get a tennis umpires chair on the centre spot, bugger of a walk to get a pint at half time though.

Surely with what you`d be paying a Bristol Sport lackey would bring you one out on a silver tray.

Archived