IGNORED

Remi Garde sacked (MERGED)

Buckeyed

• Admin

I know a couple of ST holders at Villa, their club has clearly been in decline for a number of seasons, and for the past couple have managed to put a run together at the right time to stave off relegation.

This year has been one mountain too many for them to climb, but was amazed when Remi Garde was put in charge in the first place - clearly the wrong kind of manager for the plight they were in, now they have a squad full of average Premiership players / top end Championship players at best.

As for Baker, his deal was for the full season with no recall so we have no problems at the moment, and unless we already negotiated an option to buy at the end of the loan I can't see any way he wouldn't be back with Villa at the start of next season, if only for the new manager to take a look at him.

Personally think the associated between Villa and Baker is over, and it is just a case of who picks him up

11 hours ago, Loco Rojo said:

He, the club and the fans were always doomed from the start when he took over. Never stood a chance and was a very bizarre appointment. 

Most fans who have been through what Villa are would feel optimistic at the thought of a new manager coming in and the excitement and speculation of who'll take over right now. Unfortunately though with near certain relegation and owners who clearly don't want to be, the future doesn't look bright. Only a mad man would want that job.....or someone after a long contract and a big payoff 6 months down the line.

Where do i apply ? 

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Pearson would be a wonderful choice for them. Have a caretaker until end of the season but with Pearson agreed as the new boss. 

Surely if that were to be the case, he would start before the end of season? Unless your name is Steve Coppell, why would you want to leave it until the summer? Get in, assess the squad and start planning ASAP. They're all but down anyway, so it won't be like he would get blamed for relegation.

Anyway, if your going for someone like Coppell, I would suggest you start looking for his replacement soon...

Now if you wanted to employ somebody already in a job, I can see why you'd appoint a caretaker until the end of season.

• Admin
21 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

I think no one will take job till end of season for wouldn't want to be manager who took them down.

Indeed true, but on the flip side nobody see's you as being able to do anything so maybe buys a couple of weeks to chop and change the team in preparation for next season?

I think he's dodged a bullet. would have looked bad on him had he walked, like he hadn't done his homework on the club, whereas this makes the villa look even dafter than before. With villa openly regarded as a toxic club, i think he leaves with his reputation relatively intact.  

I think it'll be tough for whoever is manager next season. They'll be funds available I'm sure but not the full PP bit. Also they need to seriously cut down the wage bills and I'm not sure their biggest offenders of high wage and average play(being nice) are going to be easy to get rid of. I am not sure who is out of contract but players like NZogbia, Lescott, Richardson and Guzan may not be easily sold. That's just a small sample of the list as well. 

Their best chances of going up are probably the young French ones they bought last summer. I can't see most of them staying. Veretout, Gueye, Ayew and Amavi would be good championship players but don't know if they would stay with Villa going down. Also may be tough to hold on to Grealish(who many fans aren't a fan of) and Adama Traore. I think all of those will be looked at as players with big potential that got stunted a bit on a poor Villa side. 

Villa have a good academy though with some gems in there. If they can keep a few of the decent players around and mix them with the youth it could benefit them down the road. Players like Okore, Clark, Gestede, Westwood along with maybe one or two of the first team youngsters there mixed with some academy might be a good start. Maybe add Baker and Callum Robinson to the mix with a few decent signings they could be a good side. I wouldn't call them promotion favourites but could make the playoffs under the right manager. 

11 hours ago, cityloyal473 said:

Not strange at all.  They're down and Garde is evidently not the man to get them back up.  Get someone else in now and start preparing for next season.   Very wise decision. 

I'm not doubting it's the right choice to replace him,  but it was fairly obvious by their lack of spending in January that they did not think he could keep them up..  With a handful of games to go it would have made more sense to do it a couple of months ago. 

Archived