IGNORED

Remi Garde sacked (MERGED)

Buckeyed

Wouldn't surprise me if they did a Leeds / Saints and suffer double relegation. A club which appears to have no identity, an owner who wants out. Would be very surprised if a club like Villa have even considered relegation and in player contracts 

He, the club and the fans were always doomed from the start when he took over. Never stood a chance and was a very bizarre appointment. 

Most fans who have been through what Villa are would feel optimistic at the thought of a new manager coming in and the excitement and speculation of who'll take over right now. Unfortunately though with near certain relegation and owners who clearly don't want to be, the future doesn't look bright. Only a mad man would want that job.....or someone after a long contract and a big payoff 6 months down the line.

They were pretty much always doomed, it probably would have been the greatest escape in football history if they managed it. The only reason I can think they're sacking him is for preparing for life in the championship and getting someone who has 'been there done that'.

39 minutes ago, daored said:

Wouldn't surprise me if they did a Leeds / Saints and suffer double relegation. A club which appears to have no identity, an owner who wants out. Would be very surprised if a club like Villa have even considered relegation and in player contracts 

Leeds were relegated from the Prem in 2004 but got to the championship play off final in 2006 and lost. So their double relegation took a while (2007/08 season due to a points deduction) they didn't just drop straight through to league one...

Also Southampton went down from the prem in 2005 but didn't go down to league one until 2009 - largely due to a ten point deduction...

Not sure I'd call those double relegations as they were nowhere near successive seasons, but Villa seem to be in real trouble and could do a proper double relegation like Wolves did - and didn't Wigan do that too?!

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Who do you think will join them?  Newcastle and Norwich....think Defoe's goals will keep Sunderland up.

No idea on this one I favour Sam and Defoe pulling the escape trick off but wouldnt bet on any of them. As for Villa, basket case of a club. Looking forward to going there but if they don't sort it out they could go down again

They've been on the decline for years, slowly going backwards whilst clubs like Southampton, Swansea etc have gone from strength to strength. They have a reputation and I think they thought a club of their size would never go down based on their reputation.

May as well have stuck with Sherwood.

9 hours ago, hodge said:

They were pretty much always doomed, it probably would have been the greatest escape in football history if they managed it. The only reason I can think they're sacking him is for preparing for life in the championship and getting someone who has 'been there done that'.

Pearson would be a wonderful choice for them. Have a caretaker until end of the season but with Pearson agreed as the new boss. 

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Leeds were relegated from the Prem in 2004 but got to the championship play off final in 2006 and lost. So their double relegation took a while (2007/08 season due to a points deduction) they didn't just drop straight through to league one...

Also Southampton went down from the prem in 2005 but didn't go down to league one until 2009 - largely due to a ten point deduction...

Not sure I'd call those double relegations as they were nowhere near successive seasons, but Villa seem to be in real trouble and could do a proper double relegation like Wolves did - and didn't Wigan do that too?!

Thank you for the clarification. But they certainly look a club in a mess and real trouble. Unfortunately a victim of the mad world of the premier league, expectations grow, demands grows and more and more clubs end up in this situation.

The TV deal isn't sustainable, and eventually the bubble will bust. Unfortunately too many clubs are mortgaged on the basis of champions league money, TV deal, players wages increasing, agents fees. 

13 minutes ago, daored said:

Thank you for the clarification. But they certainly look a club in a mess and real trouble. Unfortunately a victim of the mad world of the premier league, expectations grow, demands grows and more and more clubs end up in this situation.

The TV deal isn't sustainable, and eventually the bubble will bust. Unfortunately too many clubs are mortgaged on the basis of champions league money, TV deal, players wages increasing, agents fees. 

Hence the big clubs are trying to create a 'Champions league' that they are in every season regardless of how they perform.

13 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

Hence the big clubs are trying to create a 'Champions league' that they are in every season regardless of how they perform.

And where does that leave clubs such as Villa, West Ham even potentially Spurs? You lose the competition and soon interest follows 

Archived