IGNORED

Ashton in 'alignment' with big Premier club

Marina's Rolls Royce

8 hours ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Not sure whether its Ashton or the Bristol Post, or both, you're having a pop at here.  Whatever, they're all pretty easy targets for a bit of populist egg-throwing.

If things are now in alignment at Ashton Gate then that is nothing but good news. Certainly we were completely out of alignment last summer, or it would not have been the shamble it turned out to be.  So what's the problem here?

As to Lee Johnson, I think it was pretty common knowledge that he was about to be offered a job on the staff at Liverpool when he instead took the job at Oldham.  I believe the chairman of Oldham mentioned it at the time, and I recall Kenny Dalglish being quoted as saying that Johnson had a bright future in the game.  Again, what's the problem?

The Bristol Post is pretty crap, but I don't think the standard of journalism is any worst than that of most provincial newspapers, all of which tend to have their comic moments.  You ought to read the Bath Chronicle mate - at least the Bristol Post is occasionally entertaining!

I think the irony has been lost in translation particularly with Copello.

No- not a dig at Ashton who I think is exactly what the club needs for the time being but for the EP to quote that we should not over estimate Leenwhen clearly we should not underestimate him is clearly, imo, comical. To combine it with a big prem club in the singular when clearly Mark would have stated plural is laughable.

As are some of the comments on this thread.

That is all.

9 hours ago, bs3 said:

"in alignment"  What does that even mean?

When he first took up his role of COO many of us said that would be the end of Kieth Burt as DoF.  No No claimed the ITK, experts and blog writers on this forum. Yet with a couple of months KB is gone so we our left with a COO and Head Coach , is this a similar set to PL clubs?

The Head Coach set up is not all prevaling and not even new.  I'm not saying it don't work, but many PL clubs and Championship clubs still have a manager, so who are we exactly aligned with.

Whether they call themselves a 'head coach' or a 'manager' is a bit redundant really. Lots of premier league clubs have a set up like ours now, lots more staff and more delegation in terms of recruitment and training. I'd actually say a minority of premier league clubs have a true 'manager' structure now where one man is the main decision maker, trainer and in charge of recruiting.

Why do you have it in for Ashton so much? Whether you like 'corporate bullshit' or not, it's the way the game is going. 

Let's clear this up. My understanding is LJ is the head coach, he is responsible for all footballing matters, the day to day stuff at the training ground, picking the team, managing the first team staff.

Keith Burt is the talent spotter and is responsible for identifying players, keeping a database and instructing scouts.

Mark Ashton makes deals happen, he talks to clubs, players, agents etc. He will also use his contacts within the game to see if a certain player has the bcfc DNA.

LJ will say right I need a right back, here's a few suggestions, Burt will go away and scout those or bring other suggestions to the table, he will liaise with Ashton as to the availability of these players. 

LJ will then be given the final say. Once he gives the nod Ashton will go and arrange the deal and seek approval from the board.

Sir Alex wasn't even a traditional manager, yet it's funny as when you think of a traditional manager he is one of those you think of. He had others running around doing his coaching, doing his scouting, doing the buying just like Burt and Ashton are doing.Head Coach-Manager, absolutely no difference apart from title.

29 minutes ago, Just Red said:

Keith Burt is the talent spotter and is responsible for identifying players, keeping a database and instructing scouts.

KB left last week or maybe the one before, assume MA took most of his role over and we either have or are on the lookout for a chief scout.

8 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Whether they call themselves a 'head coach' or a 'manager' is a bit redundant really. Lots of premier league clubs have a set up like ours now, lots more staff and more delegation in terms of recruitment and training. I'd actually say a minority of premier league clubs have a true 'manager' structure now where one man is the main decision maker, trainer and in charge of recruiting.

Why do you have it in for Ashton so much? Whether you like 'corporate bullshit' or not, it's the way the game is going. 

I don't believe Mark Ashton has the right DNA for our club.

Not sure it is the way the game is going, a number of clubs have gone down this road not always succesfully. Spurs is a prime example , they had a DoF for years which didn't bring success, they move slightly away from that set up and now one of the top teams in the country. 

9 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Not sure it is the way the game is going, a number of clubs have gone down this road not always succesfully. Spurs is a prime example , they had a DoF for years which didn't bring success, they move slightly away from that set up and now one of the top teams in the country. 

And right now we don't have a DOF either?

30 minutes ago, bs3 said:

The irony of not liking corporate bs but then using the phrase "DNA of our club"..

Archived