IGNORED

Ashton in 'alignment' with big Premier club

Marina's Rolls Royce

I see that Mark Ashton is now "in alignment" with a number of fans on here and  one big Premier club. A quote from the Evil P:

"Also, we should not over-estimate how highly Lee Johnson is thought of by some big Premier League club. For him to choose to come back to Bristol City is absolutely the right fit and it has made a lot of people within the industry sit up and ask 'what is happening there?'"

Either Mark is already managing our expectations or the pathetic EP couldn't manage to score in a brothel.

'What is actually happening here?'

14 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I see that Mark Ashton is now "in alignment" with a number of fans on here and  one big Premier club. A quote from the Evil P:

"Also, we should not over-estimate how highly Lee Johnson is thought of by some big Premier League club. For him to choose to come back to Bristol City is absolutely the right fit and it has made a lot of people within the industry sit up and ask 'what is happening there?'"

Either Mark is already managing our expectations or the pathetic EP couldn't manage to score in a brothel.

Sounds like he's blowing undeserved smoke up Johnson's ass.  Cant think why people in the industry would be sitting up thinking "what is happening here" when we've taken on a relatively mid - level first division manager.  

17 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Not sure whether its Ashton or the Bristol Post, or both, you're having a pop at here.  Whatever, they're all pretty easy targets for a bit of populist egg-throwing.

If things are now in alignment at Ashton Gate then that is nothing but good news. Certainly we were completely out of alignment last summer, or it would not have been the shamble it turned out to be.  So what's the problem here?

As to Lee Johnson, I think it was pretty common knowledge that he was about to be offered a job on the staff at Liverpool when he instead took the job at Oldham.  I believe the chairman of Oldham mentioned it at the time, and I recall Kenny Dalglish being quoted as saying that Johnson had a bright future in the game.  Again, what's the problem?

The Bristol Post is pretty crap, but I don't think the standard of journalism is any worst than that of most provincial newspapers, all of which tend to have their comic moments.  You ought to read the Bath Chronicle mate - at least the Bristol Post is occasionally entertaining!

20 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Sounds like he's after a shag.

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Bullshit!

Everyone knows Arsenal had Lee lined-up as Wengers replacement, until Ashton poached him.

Arsenal have been struggling to cover their PR mess ever since.

If you don't understand this, you don't understand how football works.

Dear-oh-dear-of-dear.

Uncle TFR

I don't understand the hate and negativity regarding Ashton on here. I personally find him a breath of fresh air compared to some of the people that sit on the board. It is refreshing to someone with a bit of knowledge with regards to football and results on the field have improved since his arrival. Although it cannot be said whether this is caused by his work, the club definitely feels a lot more professional with him on board.

It was Ashton who recruited LJ and so is hardly going to say anything unflattering about his own appointment.

I said on here previously how confident and charismatic Mark Ashton is and he certainly impressed me and others at the Senior Reds last month.

He could turn out to be the best thing to happen at AG for a very long time.

That said he is a "suit" and fair game for a piss take in my view......:whistle:

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

It was Ashton who recruited LJ and so is hardly going to say anything unflattering about his own appointment.

I said on here previously how confident and charismatic Mark Ashton is and he certainly impressed me and others at the Senior Reds last month.

That said he is a "suit" and fair game for a piss take in my view......:whistle:

SL wanted LJ, MA merely followed orders. Isn't that what happened? That's my understanding, from a distance. No inside info or anything.

Remember MA was on Radio Bristol on the Monday, telling us how surprised we would be by who was intested in the job (cue lots of speculation and excitement about big names on here and elsewhere). Then on the Wednesday, it was announced SL was "to take a leading role in the search for new head coach." Then we appointed a relatively inexperienced coach at a midtable L1 club.

I think this was an early example of MA being brought into alignment with the owner.

3 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

And you know this because........

"in alignment"  What does that even mean?

When he first took up his role of COO many of us said that would be the end of Kieth Burt as DoF.  No No claimed the ITK, experts and blog writers on this forum. Yet with a couple of months KB is gone so we our left with a COO and Head Coach , is this a similar set to PL clubs?

The Head Coach set up is not all prevaling and not even new.  I'm not saying it don't work, but many PL clubs and Championship clubs still have a manager, so who are we exactly aligned with.

I seem to recall on Mark Ashton first Radio Bristol interview ,  in it he said it was not his job to identify new players and talent has he was not qualified enough to do such a job.

So who is now going out and recruiting players? Is it Mr Ashton? And if so why his he now qualified to do so ?

I get the feeling with MA all these sound bites will come back and bite him on his backside. Give the bloke enough rope and he will hang himself.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I love that last sentence. 

I'm with you, I think he has come in and done very well, both recruitment and media-wise.

But, he is rightly in the firing line for a bit of banter.  We have them in our place, some of them full of shit with no substance, some of them full of shit but can back it up.  They are the ones just playing to the audience, but very capable. That's how I see MA, using 'jargon' from the a Corporate world, but making the right impression with his football dealings.

Fair Play to him.  I bet he knows he's doing it too.

5 minutes ago, bs3 said:

I seem to recall on Mark Ashton first Radio Bristol interview ,  in it he said it was not his job to identify new players and talent has he was not qualified enough to do such a job.

So who is now going out and recruiting players? Is it Mr Ashton? And if so why his he now qualified to do so ?

I get the feeling with MA all these sound bites will come back and bite him on his backside. Give the bloke enough rope and he will hang himself.

Ashton has said this is not his role, mate. He is not the talent spotter, he is the one to make the deal happen, do the paperwork if you like, once LJ has told him who he wants. MA has said this more than once now

10 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Yes the bloke loves a buzz word or corporate language but I bet it's the same people moaning about him that moaned about lansdown and Cotterill contradicting each other . Some people just love to moan . 

It does seem more and more that there was a big difference of opinion between SC and SL and ultimately there was only going to be one winning.

Cotts was his own man and straight talking and lets not forget that it was his drive and determination which turned this club around and went on to win first championship in 60 years and a FL Trophy, what we need is a bit more of that that and less corporate Bullsh1t.

3 minutes ago, bs3 said:

It does seem more and more that there was a big difference of opinion between SC and SL and ultimately there was only going to be one winning.

Cotts was his own man and straight talking and lets not forget that it was his drive and determination which turned this club around and went on to win first championship in 60 years and a FL Trophy, what we need is a bit more of that that and less corporate Bullsh1t.

Yes and he was taking us down as fast as he took us up due to his own rigidity on and off the field.

So far so good for MA and LJ, accumulated more points between them (and Pembo of course) in 12 games, than Cotterill did in 26

2 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Ashton has said this is not his role, mate. He is not the talent spotter, he is the one to make the deal happen, do the paperwork if you like, once LJ has told him who he wants. MA has said this more than once now

OK fair enough. So our head coach is also head of recruiment. I thought the club wanted to go down the route of Head Coach and others in the club making the   decisions of who we bring in to the club.  If LJ is making the decisions on who he brings  in and imo he should be LJ, what have really changed in the set up? So in all but name LJ is a manager.

Like I thought it is just verbal drivel coming from MA who seems to love the lime light.

7 minutes ago, bs3 said:

OK fair enough. So our head coach is also head of recruiment. I thought the club wanted to go down the route of Head Coach and others in the club making the   decisions of who we bring in to the club.  If LJ is making the decisions on who he brings  in and imo he should be LJ, what have really changed in the set up? So in all but name LJ is a manager.

Like I thought it is just verbal drivel coming from MA who seems to love the lime light.

Let's see what happens over the summer. See who we get. Then we can judge MA's words, all the talk, against his deeds, what he manages to do. I think it's fair to wait and see, and in the meantime, give all the "industry" talk a wide berth

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'm struggling to understand why certain people can't understand what the BP is saying...or what the word 'Alignment' means...how much more simpler can you put it?

while i like him, he does have a tendancy for corporate b..k speak. A david brent who knows whats he's doing??

11 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'm struggling to understand why certain people can't understand what the BP is saying...or what the word 'Alignment' means...how much more simpler can you put it?

It seems to me that what the Bristol Post is saying is just quoting word for word interviews and articles that are on the club's website and player channel.

Hardly independent journalism, is it?

For me the odd piece aside, the quality and content is desperately poor and unlike a previous poster, having read other provincial newspapers online (which I regularly do before and after we play sides in this league) I'd say that it is significantly worse than most.

36 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Agreement?

Aligned and agreement can be two different things.

I can be in align with someone, but not totally agree with the principle. I may agree to go along with it though...as my boss has asked me to.

From what i'm reading between the lines...for want of a better phrase...'everyone is singing from the same hymn sheet' now.

6 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

"Also, we should not over-estimate how highly Lee Johnson is thought of by some big Premier League club

What, 5'10"..... 6 foot?

Bloody idiots. Do the research Mr Premier League Bigshot.

Even Wikipedia will tell you he is a short arse.

Archived