IGNORED

What to expect on Tuesday

The Original OTIB

When Warnock got the job on 11th February, the 2 previous results were a 2-1 defeat at Bolton and a home thrashing: 1-4 by... CHARLTON. Next came Birmingham at home. A 0-0.

Looking at the stats, Rotherham appeared to be in the games. Indeed, on numerous occasions the stats will say they had 40 or 50% possession. So what changed? They dropped possession to around 33.33%. Since then? Won 5, drawn 1, lost 0. Goals for: 10, goals against: 5. Take out the Bolton game and we are on a -5 GD over the same 6 game period. The Warnock mentality is: Restrict and Scrap. Aitor Karanka after 'boro lost: "They decided to win, they were fighting for every ball as if it would be the last ball for them. They are fighting to stay in the Championship." Warnock after Ipswich: "We were so solid at the back and restricted them - our goalkeeper didn't have shots to save".

This is a side that will sit, happy to let the opposition play it around. They will go in hard when a chance arises and no doubt try to break up play. They like teams to play it around but get tired and frustrated. Hence the many late, and crucial goals. I would go for size and power for this one with a 5 man midfield (Ayling, Smith, Pack, Little, Tomlin), albeit, Tomlin just behind Odemwingie. Why? Pressing will just lead to the bus being parked. We need to be looking for quick ball in behind. Odemwingie has the pace, Tomlin can pick a pass. I'd back him over Kodjia to stay onside as well. We need to draw them out but be big and solid in midfield. This does not mean sitting back, it means getting a lot of the play in the centre of the field then looking for the killer pass.

One other thing: I'd dearly love everyone to forget who is in the opposition dugout.Why? All the abuse: he LOVES it and he uses it to get his players going. Support the team and forget him. Frankly, you have to take your hat off to him for the job he's done; and I certainly don't like the bloke.

2 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

When Warnock got the job on 11th February, the 2 previous results were a 2-1 defeat at Bolton and a home thrashing: 1-4 by... CHARLTON. Next came Birmingham at home. A 0-0.

Looking at the stats, Rotherham appeared to be in the games. Indeed, on numerous occasions the stats will say they had 40 or 50% possession. So what changed? They dropped possession to around 33.33%. Since then? Won 5, drawn 1, lost 0. Goals for: 10, goals against: 5. Take out the Bolton game and we are on a -5 GD over the same 6 game period. The Warnock mentality is: Restrict and Scrap. Aitor Karanka after 'boro lost: "They decided to win, they were fighting for every ball as if it would be the last ball for them. They are fighting to stay in the Championship." Warnock after Ipswich: "We were so solid at the back and restricted them - our goalkeeper didn't have shots to save".

This is a side that will sit, happy to let the opposition play it around. They will go in hard when a chance arises and no doubt try to break up play. They like teams to play it around but get tired and frustrated. Hence the many late, and crucial goals. I would go for size and power for this one with a 5 man midfield (Ayling, Smith, Pack, Little, Tomlin), albeit, Tomlin just behind Odemwingie. Why? Pressing will just lead to the bus being parked. We need to be looking for quick ball in behind. Odemwingie has the pace, Tomlin can pick a pass. I'd back him over Kodjia to stay onside as well. We need to draw them out but be big and solid in midfield. This does not mean sitting back, it means getting a lot of the play in the centre of the field then looking for the killer pass.

One other thing: I'd dearly love everyone to forget who is in the opposition dugout.Why? All the abuse: he LOVES it and he uses it to get his players going. Support the team and forget him. Frankly, you have to take your hat off to him for the job he's done; and I certainly don't like the bloke.

I don't get this obsession with Ayling as a midfielder he's a defender .As for Warnock he's getting with both barells whether he enjoys it or not .

6 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

Whilst he is getting results, I wouldn't want us resorting to that style of football at the gate, regardless of the result. We are getting results whilst playing entertaining, attractive football, this is one of the reasons I was against Warnock as a candidate for our manager.

9 minutes ago, The Original OTIB said:

resorting to intelligent football to win a crucial game? Did I say playing the same style? er, no.

Sorry I just read my post again, my comments were based on my thoughts on Warnock and how he sets the team up, it has been suggested that we should have had him over LJ and this in my opinion is why we made the right call.

As for our set up, good shout, although I would keep kodjia out there for his unpredictability, could help unlock a tight defence.

Just now, Robin1988 said:

I didn't mean permanently; it's not 'put a defender in midfield' if/when he does play there. He's played there for Arsenal and Yeovil:

https://arsenalyouth.wordpress.com/2008/08/01/luke-ayling-out-with-a-point-to-prove/

http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/Bristol-City-boss-Steve-Cotterill-hails-Luke/story-21342743-detail/story.html

I'd say he's played 95% of his playing career as a defender, so it would be a case of putting a defender in midfield. We are on our 3rd different manager whilst Luke has been here and none of them have looked to turn him into a midfielder.  Don't get me wrong I like Ayling, just as a defender ;)

Frankly, I doubt very much that this will happen. The point being, for this game, I like pace, power and size in wide midfield with the central engine room being above the 5' 7" mark, and holding in mentality. With Matthews behind Ayling and Golbourne behind Little, there's plenty of opportunity to rotate as the play dictates (depending on who might be getting forward / cover for Matthews on long throws in the final third. To my mind, this would be very solid for this game with Tomlin free to nick the ball and find Odemwingie. Yes: I would keep Baker alongside Flint. I doubt he'd have 2 shockers in a row.

Surely midfield will be Pack, Smith, Bryan - they have the defensive, tackling  qualities we will need to try to boss midfield but also some ability to break/pass the ball. Front three, well we actually have lot's of options for players/formation which is really nice. Tomlin and Odemwingie would seem favourite though. 

8 hours ago, Doozerchris said:

I don't get this obsession with Ayling as a midfielder he's a defender .As for Warnock he's getting with both barells whether he enjoys it or not .

Well for most of the season, we have lacked the player who can unlock defences in and around the opponents 18 yard box and I recall that twice early on in the season Ayling managed it with very deft passes, 1 was Birmingham away and the other may have been Brentford at home, lets put it another way probably impossible to be worse than Saturdays midfield performance.

30 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

Well for most of the season, we have lacked the player who can unlock defences in and around the opponents 18 yard box and I recall that twice early on in the season Ayling managed it with very deft passes, 1 was Birmingham away and the other may have been Brentford at home, lets put it another way probably impossible to be worse than Saturdays midfield performance.

Luke Ayling is not the answer to our midfield that's for sure .,and as for Saturday with better finishing and the ability to stay onside coupled with Baker having some sort of meltdown it could have been a slightly different result against what is in all fairness a premier league outfit. 

7 minutes ago, Doozerchris said:

Luke Ayling is not the answer to our midfield that's for sure .,and as for Saturday with better finishing and the ability to stay onside coupled with Baker having some sort of meltdown it could have been a slightly different result against what is in all fairness a premier league outfit. 

in your opinion, the current choices were not the answer on Saturday either, Pack made one incredibly good and timely tackle in the first half and then was poor, Reid was just poor, Bryan was no more better than OK got caught in possession far to easily and Tomlin's best work was his defensive work.

6 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

in your opinion, the current choices were not the answer on Saturday either, Pack made one incredibly good and timely tackle in the first half and then was poor, Reid was just poor, Bryan was no more better than OK got caught in possession far to easily and Tomlin's best work was his defensive work.

My opinion and also every football manager he has played under.

28 minutes ago, Doozerchris said:

My opinion and also every football manager he has played under.

I will have to take that because I haven't spoken to any of them.

Strange that LJ stated that he wouldn't shy away from starting Flint as a striker, contrary to all of his other managers.

PS:- Just for the record I am not suggesting it as being the answer, but maybe a temporary solution.

9 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Whilst I shall be present on Tuesday, I would love to hear a loud rendition of 'We love you Colin, we do'.

NW has always spoken highly of City, and I am sure that, in spite of (perhaps because of) its poor taste, he would smile and give a wave.

Quite happy to join in with this if we are 3 up with 5 mins to go!

My primary point in opening was that we don't want to get suckered into throwing the kitchen sink at the problem. John Pemberton figured very early on that solidity keeps you in games.Being solid on Tuesday is a must. We also have to work the set piece opportunities that arise. They were shocking on Saturday. Ayling was brought into the club because he was/is versatile; so was Little. They are both battle hardened from last year. Ayling's had a rest as well; Little also has miles in the tank this season. Horses for courses I say.

Joe B and Bobby have been great in crucial games. This one is going to be about pace and power as far as I'm concerned. This is a man up fixture if ever there was one.

apologies to rotherham fans but we are very likely to have a positive result on tuesday. we have let in 4 goals on 6 occasions this season and have had a positive result in the very next game on 5 occasions. we have big balls in bristol and on tuesday night our balls will be bigger than rotherhams. fully believe that both teams will stay up though. 

Archived