IGNORED

Thoughts on today's game

Londoner

Well at least we got a point. 

I was very disappointed but not suprised we started with Wilbs alone up top....against Wood and Broadfoot two donkeys against one there would only be one winner...:Wilbs worked hard but rarely threatened, but we missed a trick with Kodjias trickery up top.

Rotherham were as expected non stop harrowing and fighting and have no space, first half we couldn't cope with it and created nothing....Smallwood and Freklington were non stop, very impressed with the former.

Sexond half we played with more width which made a difference, along with Rotherham tiring...Odemwingie showed his class but Wilbs was two isolated against those two CBs. Kodjia should have come on earlier.

Smith was clearly rusty and not fully fit, nowhere near as decent as usual, and I was suprised he last the full 90.....but great to have him back. But Pack struggled without A fully match fit partner.

Goldbourne had, by far, his worst game for us, and Flint fell asleep for their goal.

Matthews can deliver an excellent cross and I was impressed with him.

You can see why Rotherham were successful, non stop pressing all night....the histrionics and gamesmanship was too far...watching the highlights Halford wasn't touched let alone kicked in the head, disgrace.

Tomlin worked hard with limited effect, Bryan far better in the second half.

But for me, we need a way of getting Odemingie, Kodjia and Tomlin on the pitch at the same time, I feel we missed a trick tonight playing a big lump against two of the slowest centre backs we will play all season. 

2 minutes ago, Rob k said:

My thoughts on tonight's game is that we have to pay off Wilbraham - he's not good enough 

He can do a job but needs someone up there with him.

Kodjia against those two could of been a really problem for them....granted they were tiring but he had two moments of class when he skinned the cbs and that class nutmeg to win the free kick....more than Wilbs did all night.

10 minutes ago, Londoner said:

He can do a job but needs someone up there with him.

Kodjia against those two could of been a really problem for them....granted they were tiring but he had two moments of class when he skinned the cbs and that class nutmeg to win the free kick....more than Wilbs did all night.

How can he ? If he is the ' donkey ' you disgracefully label him

' Donkey ' ......  Some people on here - dear oh dear

Did you watch him alone up front against Bolton for example ?

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

There is one thing doing it against A kid starting his career and a play who had been out for months injured....to doing it against a team top of the form table who conceded very few.

1 minute ago, Londoner said:

There is one thing doing it against A kid starting his career and a play who had been out for months injured....to doing it against a team top of the form table who conceded very few.

Let me get this right - You think Aarron Wilbraham is a ' donkey ' ???

priceless

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I thought he had a decent game tonight.

He won his fair share and no wonder he couldn't do much with the service he was given. It's not easy to accurately lay it off when you're man marked by 2 centre halfs and you rarely have anyone within 10 meters of you. It is, however, easy to label him as ineffective without considering that he had two cbs man marking him and no-one within 10 meters of him.

He wasn't culpable for our ineffectiveness tonight: it was the service he was getting and equally those that are supposed to be vying for the second balls. 

I thought we were distinctly average at best today much like the whole event. It was a chilly evening and the crowd were quiet from the start. Rotherham came for a draw and were grateful to take the lead. Their best player was their keeper which says a lot, but ultimately we weren't at our best. Too many longish balls down channels and Pack messed up every cross-field ball when trying to switch the play. Passing wasn't crisp and measured and movement not good enoughup front. Warnock was quite subdued and it was our bench harassing the below par officials. I'm still concerned about our league position because MK have better fixtures than us. Their game against Warnock's lot is huge. A Rotherham win would suit us.

It may not have been pretty tonight but Rotherham didn't allow it to be pretty. They worked incredibly hard when they didn't have the ball, probably harder than any other team I've seen us play this season (as most Warnock teams do). A really awkward fixture tonight and in light of MK's loss, I feel it is a point gained rather than two points lost. 

44 minutes ago, Londoner said:

I was very disappointed but not suprised we started with Wilbs alone up top....against Wood and Broadfoot two donkeys against one there would only be one winner...:Wilbs worked hard but rarely threatened, but we missed a trick with Kodjias trickery up top.

Rotherham were as expected non stop harrowing and fighting and have no space, first half we couldn't cope with it and created nothing....Smallwood and Freklington were non stop, very impressed with the former.

Sexond half we played with more width which made a difference, along with Rotherham tiring...Odemwingie showed his class but Wilbs was two isolated against those two CBs. Kodjia should have come on earlier.

Smith was clearly rusty and not fully fit, nowhere near as decent as usual, and I was suprised he last the full 90.....but great to have him back. But Pack struggled without A fully match fit partner.

Goldbourne had, by far, his worst game for us, and Flint fell asleep for their goal.

You can see why Rotherham were successful, non stop pressing all night....the histrionics and gamesmanship was too far...watching the highlights Halford wasn't touched let alone kicked in the head, disgrace.

But for me, we need a way of getting Odemingie, Kodjia and Tomlin on the pitch at the same time, I feel we missed a trick tonight playing a big lump against two of the slowest centre backs we will play all season. 

I thought Tomlin was uninterested. Has he actually got fatter since he's been here?

1 hour ago, Red Army Faction said:

Personally, thought playing Kodjia from the bench was the correct call.  Wilbs took a real battering tonight and I'm not convinced that Kodjia would have coped so well with the abuse or with such composure.  

Agree, would've feared for JK tonight.  Wood and Bigfoot were a bit like McFadzean of MKD, so I suspect retaliation might've been on the cards.

Pluses:

Matthews - looked a bit leggy for 15 minutes second half after a couple of foraging runs, but MOTM for me.

Odemwingie - great finish, just need him on the ball more

Baker - dominant second half

Too many 'average' players to list

Negatives:

Golbourne - allowed one!  But was up against the best RUFC player, Grant Ward.  Blimey, was he quick, and industrious?  One to watch?

O'Donnell - harsh, but not as dominant tonight, especially from their long throws. Kicking not good (he's set high standards)

8 hours ago, mozo said:

I thought we were distinctly average at best today much like the whole event. It was a chilly evening and the crowd were quiet from the start. Rotherham came for a draw and were grateful to take the lead. Their best player was their keeper which says a lot, but ultimately we weren't at our best. Too many longish balls down channels and Pack messed up every cross-field ball when trying to switch the play. Passing wasn't crisp and measured and movement not good enoughup front. Warnock was quite subdued and it was our bench harassing the below par officials. I'm still concerned about our league position because MK have better fixtures than us. Their game against Warnock's lot is huge. A Rotherham win would suit us.

Not sure where you were sat mate, but I was contemplating taking my coat off at a few points last night, was toasty!

8 hours ago, North London Red said:

It may not have been pretty tonight but Rotherham didn't allow it to be pretty. They worked incredibly hard when they didn't have the ball, probably harder than any other team I've seen us play this season (as most Warnock teams do). A really awkward fixture tonight and in light of MK's loss, I feel it is a point gained rather than two points lost. 

This. Horrible fixture, and we didn't play well at all. With MK losing it almost feels like 3 points, I'm almost at the point where I'm going to open my 'not quite mathematically safe, but time is running out' can of cider

9 hours ago, Roger Red Hat said:

I thought Tomlin was uninterested. Has he actually got fatter since he's been here?

My thoughts too. A few runs first half then completely went missing for the last 30 mins of the game. He loved a moan too. 

I was surprised to see Odemwingie go off, I would've taken Tomlin off for Kodjia. 

My thoughts were how far off the second ball we were. We didn't seem quick enough. Pack was isolated and it seemed every time the ball dropped their players were on it.

Matthews looked good going forward, but it frustrated me how many times he gave the winger time to bring the ball down, turn and start running before putting a challenge in. Though he stood off about 10 yards too deep.

Very frustrated not see Kodjia earlier as it was clear they were comfortable marking Wilbs. 

1 hour ago, Lordofthebling said:

My thoughts too. A few runs first half then completely went missing for the last 30 mins of the game. He loved a moan too. 

I was surprised to see Odemwingie go off, I would've taken Tomlin off for Kodjia. 

My thoughts were how far off the second ball we were. We didn't seem quick enough. Pack was isolated and it seemed every time the ball dropped their players were on it.

Matthews looked good going forward, but it frustrated me how many times he gave the winger time to bring the ball down, turn and start running before putting a challenge in. Though he stood off about 10 yards too deep.

Very frustrated not see Kodjia earlier as it was clear they were comfortable marking Wilbs. 

With Tomlin, as shown at Fulham, he's worth having for the deadball - although a terrible wide freekick in to the box late in the second half.

I personally would have had Wilbraham off; he did nothing wrong and I would say he did the best with what he was given, but it was time for a different approach. I think if Korey was fully fit I reckon our best bet would have been Reid and Kodjia for Wilbraham and Golbourne (With JB filling in to left back). Reid because he is good in the final third and could possibly unlock a resolute defence with his vision, and Kodjia because of his unpredictability.

However, with Smith lagging I'm not sure we could take the risk that Reid would have brought in our own half.

Not entirely sure why Wilbraham is getting so much stick, as he was last season and most of this, he was completely manhandled by two centre halves in a team that didn't even look like they wanted to play football. If we'd have started Kodjia, he would have more than likely been bullied out of the game in the first half. I thought he should have been bought on at the hour mark as he would have had more time to be effective against two lagging defenders who had been busy with Wilbraham all evening. It was also clear that Korey Smith was not fully fit which is maybe why we were a bit light in the middle, but let's be honest, apart from a brief lack in concentration and two outstanding saves from their keeper, we should have won the game.

11 hours ago, Londoner said:

Agree with all this. I thought we were garbage to be frank. Bearing in mind the context, bearing in mind the opposition, that was our most disappointing performance of the season. I even include our thrashings in that (think we've conceded four goals 7 times).

First half was so lacklustre. More energy in the second. Rather than blaming Warnock's tactics we should ask why we couldn't break them down. We offered very little all match. Matthews's crossing was the only chink of light in a really under-par team effort. They should have been up for this. Huge game. I couldn't believe how poor we were first half. Smith had a stinker. Lost count of the number of times he gave the ball away. They all did, regularly. Against better and more clinical opposition, we would have lost, easily.

Kodjia will always infuriate me. Obviously has talent but no footballing brain. A top striker would have cut inside as he did and buried it. He's done this kind of run and shot many many times this season.

We were lucky. At half-time and how results were elsewhere, we were in big trouble. Yes, we're a point better off, but I went home feeling really deflated. We could have been 9 points clear and almost safe. Saturday will be really really tough. Just cannot go a goal behind inside 15mins as we have several times (anyone know how many?? 10?) at home this season.

Warnock is the pantomime villain but he does what he has to and he does it well. Apart from him getting annoyed by Johnson's pre-match comments he also said: "I have a lot of time for Bristol City, I see them having a right go next year." He has more faith than me. Can't underestimate how important the summer will be. Last night was a perfect illustration of why we've spent the entire season in a relegation battle. Goal-scoring midfielder and a striker needed (minimum).

13 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

First half was so lacklustre. More energy in the second. Rather than blaming Warnock's tactics we should ask why we couldn't break them down. We offered very little all match. Matthews's crossing was the only chink of light in a really under-par team effort. They should have been up for this. Huge game. I couldn't believe how poor we were first half. Smith had a stinker. Lost count of the number of times he gave the ball away. They all did, regularly. Against better and more clinical opposition, we would have lost, easily.

Aside from the petulance, they were exceptionally-well organised. Any time Tomlin got within 10 yards of the box they were on him, marked us man-for-man throughout the first half and pressured us high all over the pitch. We didn't deal with it particularly well but let's at least give them some credit.

11 hours ago, Londoner said:

5 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Aside from the petulance, they were exceptionally-well organised. Any time Tomlin got within 10 yards of the box they were on him, marked us man-for-man throughout the first half and pressured us high all over the pitch. We didn't deal with it particularly well but let's at least give them some credit.

True. I thought they were brilliantly organised and gave little away. Reminded me of how Preston were set up. Tight and efficient. That's what a top coach does. And yes, as far as this season is concerned, Warnock is a top coach. 

14 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

True. I thought they were brilliantly organised and gave little away. Reminded me of how Preston were set up. Tight and efficient. That's what a top coach does. And yes, as far as this season is concerned, Warnock is a top coach. 

Not that tight or efficient, as we dominated possession and the only corner they won was when we gave them it!

I thought Rotherham were pretty toothless tbh with Derbyshire as their one class act. The bearded defender was useful too. Other than that, their main talent was for am dram.

Their game was based on frustrating us. I think Lee should've brought Kodj on a bit earlier - for Wilbs - and seen if he could get behind their back line.

Archived