IGNORED

Peter Odemwingie! Sounds Happy!

REDOXO

A goal in the last two home games. The boy sounds like he is enjoying it here and made reference to how the new stand is going to make the ground and playing atmosphere so much better!

It is starting to sound to me like he fancies staying and I for one wish he would!

Ok 34 but fit is **** and natural scorer at this level and no Fee! (signing on fee for sure)

Anyone disagree regarding making a very good offer for the next two maybe three seasons?

I'm with you. I don't think anyone else in this side (bar Tomlin) would have scored either chance last night or v Bolton. What we've been lacking. They're the not difficult but not straightforward ones. Anyone else would have ballooned that chance over the bar 

8 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

A goal in the last two home games. The boy sounds like he is enjoying it here and made reference to how the new stand is going to make the ground and playing atmosphere so much better!

It is starting to sound to me like he fancies staying and I for one wish he would!

Ok 34 but fit is **** and natural scorer at this level and no Fee! (signing on fee for sure)

Anyone disagree regarding making a very good offer for the next two maybe three seasons?

I disagree, an offer for one season with extension clauses like wilbs would be better.

2 minutes ago, City169 said:

I disagree, an offer for one season with extension clauses like wilbs would be better.

Yes it would 169, but if we dont think other clubs will offer a minimum of two years (maybe then a play on clause) we would be nuts!

Lets be honest Wilbo was a diamond that no one really wanted....A brilliant signing....But Odemwingie is total class in front of goal and has done it at the very highest level and has admirers all over the world, so the comparison is not like for like.

40 minutes ago, Londoner said:

He's on what, 30k a week at Stoke?

Baring in mind Marseille were in for him in Jan, I would expect far bigger sides than us interested.

Enjoying him while he's here.

But he didn't go there, he's here. At 34 he'll have to stop expecting 30k+ wage packets anymore. His wife is English too so may prefer to stay here. I doubt he'd get many offers in the premier league, not ones that would give him much playing time anyway. If he's happy here - similar to Tomlin - I reckon we can do a deal. 

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

But he didn't go there, he's here. At 34 he'll have to stop expecting 30k+ wage packets anymore. His wife is English too so may prefer to stay here. I doubt he'd get many offers in the premier league, not ones hat would give him much playing time anyway. If he's happy here - similar to Tomlin - I reckon we can do a deal. 

He might just fancy a Chinese .

18 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Yes it would 169, but if we dont think other clubs will offer a minimum of two years (maybe then a play on clause) we would be nuts!

Lets be honest Wilbo was a diamond that no one really wanted....A brilliant signing....But Odemwingie is total class in front of goal and has done it at the very highest level and has admirers all over the world, so the comparison is not like for like.

Fair point, maybe 2 years, certainly not 3, appreciate not wanting to lose out to other clubs, but there is also a limit. He will be on hefty wages, and having just survived a relegation fight (no way would he come if we go down) I'd be wary- wouldn't want to go down to league 1 with the wages that (I imagine) he'd ask for.

5 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Must be baffling to Marseilles fans, PO choosing here over there. "Pourquoi il choosez cette merde hole d'Anglais oop north quand il could habite un nice place like Marseilles?"

He didn't. Stoke stopped him cos they weren't prepared to let him go at that time.

4 minutes ago, City169 said:

Fair point, maybe 2 years, certainly not 3, appreciate not wanting to lose out to other clubs, but there is also a limit. He will be on hefty wages, and having just survived a relegation fight (no way would he come if we go down) I'd be wary- wouldn't want to go down to league 1 with the wages that (I imagine) he'd ask for.

Yes I agree! Go down and the possibility goes with it....Another goal required Satdee!...See you then!

8 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Would take him on a two year deal in a heartbeat, an absolute no brainer if he wants it and the wages are manageable - and I suspect that's a big 'IF'

I agree Woodsy. But no fee is a big incentive. Signing on fees can be adjusted to bring wages in to line with any existing structure...My thought is it's up to LJ to say he wants him and Ashton to make it work....(possibly with a Wilbo like third year extension!)

A 28 yr old of his class would cost £7/8 mil plus a serious wage on a 4 year ish deal. Surely £25k a week , £1.2m a year, plus £1mil signing fee for a 2 year deal for PO makes sense? both financially and would raise our clubs profile and make us a more attractive proposition. Just think about £9m offered for Gayle/Gray PLUS wages and addons. PO would cost a small % of that.

I love how people on here know for sure that Odemwingie and Baker won't sign.  Nobody knows what is going to happen.

In Odemwingie's case I would expect the length of contract will be as important as the weekly wage.

Is he a free agent in the summer?  If so (and assuming we think he has three years left in his legs) then we may well be tempted to offer him a three year contract on £20k per week as there is no transfer fee.  £3m over three years could well be seen as a good deal for us and him.

Alternatively we could offer him £15k per week over two years (£1.5m) but then offer him £1m to sign the contact.  

Who knows?

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

I love how people on here know for sure that Odemwingie and Baker won't sign.  Nobody knows what is going to happen.

In Odemwingie's case I would expect the length of contract will be as important as the weekly wage.

Is he a free agent in the summer?  If so (and assuming we think he has three years left in his legs) then we may well be tempted to offer him a three year contract on £20k per week as there is no transfer fee.  £3m over three years could well be seen as a good deal for us and him.

Alternatively we could offer him £15k per week over two years (£1.5m) but then offer him £1m to sign the contact.  

Who knows?

Exactly!

And Yes he is a free agent come the summer!

30 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Who knows?

£20k a week to a 34 year old for the next three years?

Absolutely no chance.

2 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

Must be baffling to Marseilles fans, PO choosing here over there. "Pourquoi il choosez cette merde hole d'Anglais oop north quand il could habite un nice place like Marseilles?"

Parce qu'il n'est pas plein de Grenouilles!

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

So you are seriously suggesting we'll pay him £1m a year until he's 37?

Maybe.  I don't know.  People seem to think he can play for a few more years. Did I give an alternative?  Yes.  Read that for an, err, alternative.  

If you read all of the post that would help.  

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Maybe.  I don't know.  People seem to think he can play for a few more years. Did I give an alternative?  Yes.  Read that for an, err, alternative.  

If you read all of the post that would help.  

I read it and am simply amazed you think we would go down this road again.

My guess (like you I don't know) is that at most we'd offer him a year and this would only be if we couldn't get Tomlin permanently.

I simply cannot see Lansdown wanting someone who will be 35 next season on a high wage contract that we could not stop at the end of each season.

3 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

I read it and am simply amazed you think we would go down this road again.

My guess (like you I don't know) is that at most we'd offer him a year and this would only be if we couldn't get Tomlin permanently.

I simply cannot see Lansdown wanting someone who will be 35 next season on a high wage contract that we could not stop at the end of each season.

As there is no transfer fee then it might be worth the gamble.  

2 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

I take it you've never been to Marseilles, Jack. It's like a cross between Liverpool and Tower Hamlets. 

Archived