IGNORED

Basketball arena

bs3

I was talking to a mate of mine about the new hotel at Ashton Gate. I was led to believe that SL has purchased the free hold where Dreams Beds were and Wickes DIY store and he was planning to build a hotel there.

However my mate seems to think (he is fairley well connected in the construction industry) that the hotel is going to be built on the old Mercedies site and on the Wickes site a small basketball arena is going to be built. 

Not sure if there is any truth in all this but he is genuine, anyone else heard this?

They are building a self storage and flats on the site of the Mercedes garage. You can see the planning apps on the council site - recent revisions gone in 

2 hours ago, Tomarse said:

They are building a self storage and flats on the site of the Mercedes garage. You can see the planning apps on the council site - recent revisions gone in 

We need more flats without enough parking spaces around Ashton Gate. 

33 minutes ago, HLR said:

Oh, does this mean prospective new signings would no  longer stay at the Avon Gorge hotel?!....

No, they'll stay at Alan Curbishley's house in Portishead.

22 hours ago, bs3 said:

I was talking to a mate of mine about the new hotel at Ashton Gate. I was led to believe that SL has purchased the free hold where Dreams Beds were and Wickes DIY store and he was planning to build a hotel there.

However my mate seems to think (he is fairley well connected in the construction industry) that the hotel is going to be built on the old Mercedies site and on the Wickes site a small basketball arena is going to be built. 

Not sure if there is any truth in all this but he is genuine, anyone else heard this?

I've heard the same (that the hotel would be on the old Merc site) from a couple of people but as Tomarse points out, planning permission applications suggest otherwise.

On 07/04/2016 at 20:43, bs3 said:

I would be surprised if the flyers left filton as that's where they have always been and have very strong links with the SGS college. 

But the Flyers are always looking to improve and are selling tickets fast and are even turning people away on occasions. Granted the Wise is a small venue, but the interest for basketball in the city is crazy. It's the fastest growing part of the Bristol sport franchise and has one of the best and loudest atmospheres in the league. 

Leicester riders have built a 3,000 seater arena in the heart of Leicester as they see the bbl only getting stronger. If the Flyers want to compete with the best they'll have to build a new arena. 

I highly recommend anyone to go to a flyers game.  Brilliant for groups of mates, families with young kids or for couples. Great atmosphere, fast exciting sport. Have been going for years. Will be great if they get their own arena and court that doesn't have badminton markings all over it. Plus near to north street for beers/food before and after. Wise campus has nothing else around so you kind of have to get taxi's or someone has to drive if you want to carry on drinking after. Hope these rumours are true. The Leicester arena is a lovely little venue. Be great for bristol if this happens

8 hours ago, Full nelson said:

I would be surprised if the flyers left filton as that's where they have always been and have very strong links with the SGS college. 

But the Flyers are always looking to improve and are selling tickets fast and are even turning people on occasions. Granted the Wise is a small venue, but the interest for basketball in the city is crazy. It's the fastest growing part of the Bristol sport franchise and has one of the best and loudest atmospheres in the league. 

Leicester riders have built a 3,000 seater arena in the heart of Leicester as they see the bbl only getting stronger. If the Flyers want to compete with the best they'll have to build a new arena. 

I'm not into basketball at all, but if they built an arena next to Ashton Gate, and enabled me to buy a discounted ticket with my BS membership, I'd be very interested to see the new facility and try out a game. Who knows, I might even enjoy it and want to go again. And if I feel like that, I can't be the only one.

People want to criticise the Bristol Sport model yet here we are talking about basketball, with people saying how good it is and how they're selling out games. We also talk about the rugby a lot more than we ever used to. That sort of cross-pollination is exactly what encourages growth in support of each club, which ultimately puts more money into the Bristol Sport pot and benefits everyone including Bristol City. Meanwhile I see no loss of our "identity" at all.

I went to my first Flyers game a week or so ago, played Glasgow Rocks. I went with an open mind, never even watched a game on TV before so didn't really know what to expect. We arrive half an hour before the game, thought that was enough to get parked but the place was absolutely packed. We managed to park outside after being directed to park at B&Q which was a fair walk away so decided against that, so lesson learnt it's more popular than I thought!

The game was pretty exciting, and very fast, I easily picked up the scoring etc. The crowd got right behind the team, and there was lots of chanting and singing. They were selling cider and Budweiser, pizzas etc. They had people promoting Subway ( a major sponsor of the Flyers) and we're giving out subs. It was an ok venue, packed to the rafters so I can see the interest is there and they need a bigger venue with better nearby facilities and parking.

Yes I would go again, a good evening out. I think I might go regularly if it was at Ashton Gate. You have to try it once even if 'it's not your thing'. Oh the score, well after pretty much matching a higher placer team until HT ( there are actually four quarters), like their football and rugby counterparts they crumbled somewhat in the later stages of the game. 

34 minutes ago, RedM said:

I went to my first Flyers game a week or so ago, played Glasgow Rocks. I went with an open mind, never even watched a game on TV before so didn't really know what to expect. We arrive half an hour before the game, thought that was enough to get parked but the place was absolutely packed. We managed to park outside after being directed to park at B&Q which was a fair walk away so decided against that, so lesson learnt it's more popular than I thought!

The game was pretty exciting, and very fast, I easily picked up the scoring etc. The crowd got right behind the team, and there was lots of chanting and singing. They were selling cider and Budweiser, pizzas etc. They had people promoting Subway ( a major sponsor of the Flyers) and we're giving out subs. It was an ok venue, packed to the rafters so I can see the interest is there and they need a bigger venue with better nearby facilities and parking.

Yes I would go again, a good evening out. I think I might go regularly if it was at Ashton Gate. You have to try it once even if 'it's not your thing'. Oh the score, well after pretty much matching a higher placer team until HT ( there are actually four quarters), like their football and rugby counterparts they crumbled somewhat in the later stages of the game. 

The car park was packed due to an earlier game which was being played there. Friday night games are horrendous for parking though as you have the five aside courts also open, but! They usually open the school car park before you turn left into the college  

The pizza van is great value for money and are very tasty. 

The Glasgow was a low scoring game on the basis that Glasgow have the best defence in the league. If any of you are thinking of coming to a game then I'd suggest Worcester or Plymouth as there's no love lost and are always close games. 

1 hour ago, Full nelson said:

The car park was packed due to an earlier game which was being played there. Friday night games are horrendous for parking though as you have the five aside courts also open, but! They usually open the school car park before you turn left into the college  

The pizza van is great value for money and are very tasty. 

The Glasgow was a low scoring game on the basis that Glasgow have the best defence in the league. If any of you are thinking of coming to a game then I'd suggest Worcester or Plymouth as there's no love lost and are always close games. 

Thanks for the info. We were still being encouraged to drive around and find a space, but it soon became obvious there were none. We asked some of the car park people if there was an overflow and they weren't interested unless we had VIP tickets, which we didn't. We were told to go to B&Q and exited  the car park thinking it wasn't that far, not really knowing the area, yes it was walkable but too far to bother with so we went back. We saw the school car park but no one was in there, we thought that it can't be an option as why would we be directed to B&Q? People were still attempting to get in the arena car park, it was becoming chaotic to be fair. We didn't want to be the first people to park in the school car park as we thought they might lock the gates or something. We found somewhere to safely park and then saw people beginning to go into the school car park, maybe taking a chance as they were by now getting desperate. 

That was the only thing that put us off. If we could be sure the school car park could be used, no problem. In fact I think if we went again we might chose that over the main car park which probably took ages to clear after. 

Im not sure when their next home games are, I know we haven't been before as it clashed with either football or rugby. I told you I didn't know much so didn't appreciate Glasgow were so good defensively. I'll try another game soon I hope.

18 minutes ago, RedM said:

Thanks for the info. We were still being encouraged to drive around and find a space, but it soon became obvious there were none. We asked some of the car park people if there was an overflow and they weren't interested unless we had VIP tickets, which we didn't. We were told to go to B&Q and exited  the car park thinking it wasn't that far, not really knowing the area, yes it was walkable but too far to bother with so we went back. We saw the school car park but no one was in there, we thought that it can't be an option as why would we be directed to B&Q? People were still attempting to get in the arena car park, it was becoming chaotic to be fair. We didn't want to be the first people to park in the school car park as we thought they might lock the gates or something. We found somewhere to safely park and then saw people beginning to go into the school car park, maybe taking a chance as they were by now getting desperate. 

That was the only thing that put us off. If we could be sure the school car park could be used, no problem. In fact I think if we went again we might chose that over the main car park which probably took ages to clear after. 

Im not sure when their next home games are, I know we haven't been before as it clashed with either football or rugby. I told you I didn't know much so didn't appreciate Glasgow were so good defensively. I'll try another game soon I hope.

Glad you enjoyed it :) one thing I love about Bristol Flyers is that they are always open and available to hear your views and concerns. They are in their 3rd season at the highest level in British basketball and game on game, year on year they are making adjustments to make the whole experience exciting. At present the flyers have a very good young exciting team and are now being taken notice of by the media who have only good things to say about our club. 

I always get the uwe bus after home games and drops me off at filton McDonald's (so hard not to sin and walk in any buy heart failure). The best value is the season ticket and is amazing value. £135 for 18 entertaining games. 

8 hours ago, jambodinho said:

I highly recommend anyone to go to a flyers game.  Brilliant for groups of mates, families with young kids or for couples. Great atmosphere, fast exciting sport. Have been going for years. Will be great if they get their own arena and court that doesn't have badminton markings all over it. Plus near to north street for beers/food before and after. Wise campus has nothing else around so you kind of have to get taxi's or someone has to drive if you want to carry on drinking after. Hope these rumours are true. The Leicester arena is a lovely little venue. Be great for bristol if this happens

I imagine the new venue will be used for Basketball, Badminton and Tennis - hell who knows there are no Gymnastics facilities in Bristol with youngsters who want a chance to represent local/national having to travel to Plymouth I think. I am sure a markings system that can be changed without leaving marks or even various moveable surfaces would be possible, but I doubt it will be a sole use Basketball venue. 

1 hour ago, Midlands Robin said:

The other attraction of a 6000 or so seat indoor arena for the Flyers right next to AG is all the other things it could be used for. A concert venue and exhibitions hall for example. It's definitely a win / win for everyone.

Absolutely agree. Bristol regularly lose out to Cardiff for the bigger artists which is bad enough, but in the past year I've known relatives go to Newport or Bath to see gigs. An arena next to AG would have been perfect to cater for them, even more so the Bristol Arena is still a pile of mud. Get in there SL!

14 minutes ago, RedM said:

Absolutely agree. Bristol regularly lose out to Cardiff for the bigger artists which is bad enough, but in the past year I've known relatives go to Newport or Bath to see gigs. An arena next to AG would have been perfect to cater for them, even more so the Bristol Arena is still a pile of mud. Get in there SL!

Is the Bristol Arena going to happen - large projects like that tend to spook builders when the original contractors are let go over costs before anything even really gets under way, and it's already costs over £20 million and we have nothing to show for it and awaiting a new tender - I cannot see this happening now to be honest unless BCC rethink their budget.

2 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Why have every game at 7.30pm?  Surely they could put some on in the afternoon?  

My 6 year old has started to go to City games and also started to show an interest in basketball.  I cannot take him to an evening game but he would certainly love to go.  

Friday and Saturday games are 7:30 and fall in line with all games being played across the country. Sunday games are played at 4/5 pm but the flyers don't play at home on Sundays. 

Hope he gets to go in the future as I'm sure he'll love it. 

23 minutes ago, RedM said:

Could always have gone to the revamped and to be renamed Colston Hall - is Colston now a banned C word?

Or the O2. Or The Fleece. Unless of course you want "stadium" rock. Or Little Mix......

Archived