IGNORED

Basketball arena

bs3

5 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I'm not into basketball at all, but if they built an arena next to Ashton Gate, and enabled me to buy a discounted ticket with my BS membership, I'd be very interested to see the new facility and try out a game. Who knows, I might even enjoy it and want to go again. And if I feel like that, I can't be the only one.

People want to criticise the Bristol Sport model yet here we are talking about basketball, with people saying how good it is and how they're selling out games. We also talk about the rugby a lot more than we ever used to. That sort of cross-pollination is exactly what encourages growth in support of each club, which ultimately puts more money into the Bristol Sport pot and benefits everyone including Bristol City. Meanwhile I see no loss of our "identity" at all.

I'm sorry but I don't agree. Any development at BS3 simply adds another income stream to SL's investment.

And I do see it affecting the identity of Bristol City FC. If I want to watch other sports then I go and watch them already.

And as for a hotel. Quelle surprise. There might be a planning application in on the old Cruickshanks site but my guess is that  - like a new stadium at AV - is simply a foil to flush out objections for a grander scheme.

3 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Could always have gone to the revamped and to be renamed Colston Hall - is Colston now a banned C word?

Or the O2. Or The Fleece. Unless of course you want "stadium" rock. Or Little Mix......

They are fine for what they offer but the largest of those only holds 2000......most artists of any note require minimum 8000/10000 arenas

For my sins, I took my kids to see 1D at the millennium........70,000 in attendance!

32 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

I'm sorry but I don't agree. Any development at BS3 simply adds another income stream to SL's investment.

And I do see it affecting the identity of Bristol City FC. If I want to watch other sports then I go and watch them already.

And as for a hotel. Quelle surprise. There might be a planning application in on the old Cruickshanks site but my guess is that  - like a new stadium at AV - is simply a foil to flush out objections for a grander scheme.

Stick with Bristol city then! I don't see how any future development at Ashton will affect Bristol city? Isn't Bristol sport about inspiring young fans into sports that they would not of watched before and take up as a playing hobbie, I see so many city shirts at the basketball after city games and that's a good thing right? It's about having an option to give people/fans something new.

Let's face it, the football is horrendous and the basketball is entertaining and I probably enjoy it more at present. 

42 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

They are fine for what they offer but the largest of those only holds 2000......most artists of any note require minimum 8000/10000 arenas

For my sins, I took my kids to see 1D at the millennium........70,000 in attendance!

You are indeed a sinner - although Tillers saw 1D at the O2 in London a few years back and is off to see Little Mix at the Stoop in June.

Me? I took the boy to see Nathaniel Rateliff twice last year. O2 and C****** Hall. Right at the front. Could smell their sweat....

Now that was an experience for a 12 year old.....

Watching "stadium music" on a big screen does nothing for me. I saw U2 many moons ago in Cardiff - and vowed never to go again.

Take your kids to see Doreen Doreen at The Fleece. They'll love it!

1 hour ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

That's precisely the point - I don't currently watch other sports but the Bristol Sport association, and the development of top class facilities in which to watch said sport, would make me more likely to go and watch.  I'm going to the Bristol v Bath rugby match next month, using my membership discount.  I'm not particularly a rugby fan and almost certainly I wouldn't be attending if Bristol were still playing at the Mem and I felt no affinity to them.  But I cannot be the only one who has developed an interest in other sports - or at least talked about them - in part due to the Bristol Sport association.  The discussion in this thread just shows how it is subtly working.

If every club took the attitude of "If they want to watch it, they'll be watching it already", how would they ever grow and prosper?  It's a very closed way of thinking.

I also fail to see how the identity of Bristol City FC is in any way negatively affected by having a basketball team loosely associated with it.

But how can you go along to watch Bristol -v- Bath if you're not a rugby fan or have no affinity towards them?

Do you really need the convenience of having it all under one roof or a discounted ticket to try something else?

Perhaps I hanker after the old days. When BCFC meant just that. Before #s claiming to make Bristol Proud.

I was always proud to be a Bristolian and a Bristol City supporter. I hate Sky and what football has become.

I'm afraid I see Lansdown, Bristol Sport and the new stadium as simply an extension of that - although the new stadium is rather nice and I get that sadly you can't now have one without the other!

You interested in watching the badminton?!

27 minutes ago, myol'man said:

Maybe an offer could be made to UWE to build a basketball arena on the site where the new stadium is never gonna be built?

I keep saying SL should approach them and offer to build a UWE Bristol Sports Indoor athletics stadium there. UWE and even the South West would get a lot more out of that than just yet another football ground. UWE could do / host anything from Tennis, Badminton, Gymnastics, track and field, to clearing the floor and having a huge indoor exhibition space....   

2 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Could always have gone to the revamped and to be renamed Colston Hall - is Colston now a banned C word?

Or the O2. Or The Fleece. Unless of course you want "stadium" rock. Or Little Mix......

I'm aware of the other venues, they've been all over, although hardly ever to the Colston Hall for gigs. They often go to the Thekla and have recently been to the Marble Factory, Fleece and the Anson Rooms as well as the o2 in the past couple of weeks. 

@Fiale, I doubt if the Bristol Arena will happen. It was Red Trouser's project and now he has gone it's a non starter. I expect the announcement the land is to be sold off for high end student accommodation and other retail/office/ hotel type projects will soon come. All that's in place now is an expensive access road complete with a bridge spanning the river. 

25 minutes ago, RedM said:

I'm aware of the other venues, they've been all over, although hardly ever to the Colston Hall for gigs. They often go to the Thekla and have recently been to the Marble Factory, Fleece and the Anson Rooms as well as the o2 in the past couple of weeks. 

@Fiale, I doubt if the Bristol Arena will happen. It was Red Trouser's project and now he has gone it's a non starter. I expect the announcement the land is to be sold off for high end student accommodation and other retail/office/ hotel type projects will soon come. All that's in place now is an expensive access road complete with a bridge spanning the river. 

Good point about development on that site. Have a Google of Bristol Development Corporation. Some idiot advocating filling in The Cut to "solve Bristol's travel problem".

Another Liberal Lunatic Fringe idea.

But then Red Trousers' only interests were his own.

1 hour ago, cynic said:

The suggestion is to cover the cut not fill it in, and it is a bit of an eyesore.

Brilliant idea imo, plenty of additional parking from Temple Meads to the Create Centre, and an expressway which joins the Portway at one end and the M32 J3 at the other end with spurs off in between. But as its for cars, it will go down like a fart in a space suit.

http://www.bristoldevelopmentcorporation.uk/the answer.htm

Sounds like The Centre to me all over again!

I quite like The Cut. A pleasant'ish walk from TM to the Gate. 

I'd rather argue about changing the name of The Council House, or the use of that other C word - Colston!

3 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

But how can you go along to watch Bristol -v- Bath if you're not a rugby fan or have no affinity towards them?

Do you really need the convenience of having it all under one roof or a discounted ticket to try something else?

Perhaps I hanker after the old days. When BCFC meant just that. Before #s claiming to make Bristol Proud.

I was always proud to be a Bristolian and a Bristol City supporter. I hate Sky and what football has become.

I'm afraid I see Lansdown, Bristol Sport and the new stadium as simply an extension of that - although the new stadium is rather nice and I get that sadly you can't now have one without the other!

I do yes. I passively support rugby and have been a few times this season. If it was at the mem still I wouldn't have gone.

Ashton Gate I am familiar with. I can do the same pre match stuff as I have been doing at football for years. Its almost as if it's like having another City home game until the game starts.

I do feel a bit of an alien once inside the stadium tho.

2 hours ago, cynic said:

The suggestion is to cover the cut not fill it in, and it is a bit of an eyesore.

Brilliant idea imo, plenty of additional parking from Temple Meads to the Create Centre, and an expressway which joins the Portway at one end and the M32 J3 at the other end with spurs off in between. But as its for cars, it will go down like a fart in a space suit.

http://www.bristoldevelopmentcorporation.uk/the answer.htm

I think it is an interesting idea but I'd take the road a lot further along. 

the new road.png

4 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

I do feel a certain amount of affinity now they are playing at Ashton Gate under the Bristol Sport banner. I'm not hugely into rugby but the prospect of a big game in a good stadium against local rivals, combined with a reasonably priced members ticket, was enough to convince me to go.

Plus I have rugby friends who knew I was a member and therefore made the association and asked if I wanted to join them.

These subtle things do make the difference in the long term when it comes to increasing attendances. Just look at how our attendances have increased off the back of improved facilities this season. It certainly isn't due to our form!

We need to stop being so precious in Bristol and just build a huge carpark where everyone has to park, and a huge tram system for all - a indoor Ski centre, white water Rapids, Climbing Tower and some nice big trees.... all that would also displace about 100,000 - 150,000 people so we all get shorter queues in Tesco's - just get it done,

58ac7683dc11a_thenewroad.thumb.png.6bd7ab8aef3b70de2aad809182d6c307.png

4 minutes ago, Fiale said:

We need to stop being so precious in Bristol and just build a huge carpark where everyone has to park, and a huge tram system for all - a indoor Ski centre, white water Rapids, Climbing Tower and some nice big trees.... all that would also displace about 100,000 - 150,000 people so we all get shorter queues in Tesco's - just get it done,

If you want to stand as the next elected mayor with town planning as key to your manifesto, I for one will say I'll vote for you.... before deciding closer to election time that the two previous mayors have done sweet FA and therefore won't bother.

35 minutes ago, Fiale said:

Genius! You a FRIBA? Hang on. You're George Bloody Ferguson aren't you?

This is a great idea. Let's call it Little Venice. Oh hang on George. You tried that last time at Canons Marsh....

The irony though. You had a go on that site only for Mr Lansdown to build his offices there. No cycle lanes into Lansdown Towers either!

8 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Love the Fleece. Some proper indie rock and lots of beer and sweat.

For my sins, I once saw Blue at AG :facepalm: (H and Claire from Steps were also on the bill but got booed off stage mid-set :laughcont:) but I also saw Queen and Paul Rodgers at Brum NIA. Probably about 15,000 people there but we stood at the front and I was about 10 feet from Brian May. An immense night.

13 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Love the Fleece. Some proper indie rock and lots of beer and sweat.

For my sins, I once saw Blue at AG :facepalm: (H and Claire from Steps were also on the bill but got booed off stage mid-set :laughcont:) but I also saw Queen and Paul Rodgers at Brum NIA. Probably about 15,000 people there but we stood at the front and I was about 10 feet from Brian May. An immense night.

Peg,

Ever get to The Granary in yer yoof? 

Many a happy time jumping off the balcony during a Colonel Kilgore's set. On a YouTube channel near you, Paradise Cowboy.

Or The Crazy Trains at Yesterday's? 

Happy days. Never to be repeated. Or forgotten.

Archived