IGNORED

Back down to earth???

reformed_red

Looking at our squad for next season as I'm convinced we are safe now, I'm waking up to a bit of a reality check this morning.

Players I think will definitely be here next season are:

O'Donnell, Golbourne, Ayling, Little, Pack, Reid, Freeman, Wilbraham, Fiedling, Garita.

Players who may be moved on or subject to interest from bigger clubs:

Flint, Kodjia, Smith, Bryan, Wagstaff, Agard.

Current Loan Players:

Tomlin, Baker, Odemwinge, Matthews, Pearce.

Still glad we didn't sign Clough though.

14 minutes ago, reformed_red said:

Looking at our squad for next season as I'm convinced we are safe now, I'm waking up to a bit of a reality check this morning.

O'Donnell, Golbourne, Ayling, Little, Pack, Reid, Freeman, Wilbraham, Fiedling, Garita.

Current Loan Players:

Think smith, Bryan and flint will still be here. Could be wrong but I would be surprised if any of those 3 left. Kodjia on the other hand will most likely leave. 

Tomlin would be a perfect signing and gives off the impression he's enjoying himself.

odemwinge I can see being given a contract with us but would not be surprised for a high end team to nab him before us. Not sure if it was said here or I dreamt it but wasn't the Matthews loan with a view to a permanent deal?

7 minutes ago, brizzlelou said:

Think smith, Bryan and flint will still be here. Could be wrong but I would be surprised if any of those 3 left. Kodjia on the other hand will most likely leave. 

Tomlin would be a perfect signing and gives off the impression he's enjoying himself.

odemwinge I can see being given a contract with us but would not be surprised for a high end team to nab him before us. Not sure if it was said here or I dreamt it but wasn't the Matthews loan with a view to a permanent deal?

Fans opinions are funny thought hey...out of the 4, I would most expect it to be Kodjia to stay! I think he's raw, and we would probably set too high an asking price for him. My fear is that Tomlin would go to a bigger club....the longer we don't tie him down the less chance I think we have. Although now we are pretty much safe maybe something might happen soon???

I think we will sign some good players, but it is a reality check when you look at our actual squad as things stand.....

I know it's players that could leave but I don't think there is any way we let 6 leave. I'd say Flint is most likely to go if we are getting a decent offer from a prem side. Maybe Kodjia if a prem side comes in but I don't think we'd be selling to championship clubs. Joe has really only come on recently and Korey we just need to keep. I wouldn't mind seeing Agard go. Give Burns and Garita a chance if need be. I think Wagstaff needs a new contract if he wants to stay. Good cover on the wing, fullback and central mid if need be. 

The loan players are tough. I'd love to see the first 4 here permanently but I think we'd do well to get one. I'd say Matthews, Tomlin, Odemwingie and Baker in that order for me. Matthews is on a different planet to RB in this league. 

With no emergency loans I can see why some will be nervous. I'm in that group I guess. We need a good 20 squad players and another 2 or 3 U21 ready to go if need be. That means with the lists you provided plus Williams who I didn't see and taking Flint out and keeping Matthews. We'd be at 15. So another 5 players and high calibrate to replace the loans. It's a tough ask but it needs to be done if we are to stay up again and start pushing on. 

28 minutes ago, reformed_red said:

Current Loan Players:

I'd add little to the list of potential leavers. Get the impression he hasn't been to happy this season. The only time he has had a decent amount of game time was when Pembo was in charge

28 minutes ago, reformed_red said:

Current Loan Players:

Depends on the player, Wagstaff will be gone....and no doubt the likes of Little and Agard are going to be happily sold. As for Fielding a team come in for him offering first team football wouldn't be suprised to see him go, even though he signed a new deal. You could potentially add Freeman to a list of potential leavers because he will have a huge number of suitors.

Be mad to see Kodjia, Flint and Bryan considering the length on their contracts.

Is anyone else surprised as how good Waggy looks when he comes on? I would always expect 100% effort from him, but he doesn't look out of place at all, no matter where he is asked to play. He moves the ball quickly and accurately and his movement off the ball is excellent. A very useful member of the squad who looks to have been far too underused earlier in the season.

40 minutes ago, reformed_red said:

Current Loan Players:

What are we saying with regard to

Karleigh Osbourne 

Adam El-Abd

Wes Burns

Derrick Williams

47 minutes ago, reformed_red said:

Current Loan Players:

If Matthews signs on a perm I would be surprised if Little stayed. Also I would add Williams & Burns to that list. 

15 minutes ago, MattWSM said:

What are we saying with regard to

Karleigh Osbourne 

Adam El-Abd

Wes Burns

Derrick Williams

TBH - I forgot about Williams! The others I would doubt will still be here, possibly with the exception of Wes, who probably needs another loan???

Alex Gilby out of contract, I wonder if we'd make a move for him? 

13 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

Don't know whether Freeman will still be here as will he really be happy being on the sub bench most weeks?

If we get Matthews and one of Odemwingie and Tomlin in permanently early doors it will start to look promising.

That's the point though.....IF we can get a loan player to a perm.....with what happened with Bennett earlier in the season just goes to show that money talks. I'd like to think as a club we will overtake Blackburn next season, but money is a huge factor.

I can see other teams having an interest in the loan players that have done so well - which could leave us with a small squad again. 

Even if we keep LT, PO, NB & AM, as well as the likes of Flint etc, we still need a couple of additions. So if we lose some of those, we need a lot of players in to have a squad that can kick on.....

29 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Is anyone else surprised as how good Waggy looks when he comes on? I would always expect 100% effort from him, but he doesn't look out of place at all, no matter where he is asked to play. He moves the ball quickly and accurately and his movement off the ball is excellent. A very useful member of the squad who looks to have been far too underused earlier in the season.

Agree, I like Waggy, always gives 100% and is a very solid player.  I hope he stays.

52 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I'm not, think he had a similar role at charlton before where he was cover for the first team

One thing's for sure - there will need to be a high number of arrivals this summer, when the loanees return the squad will look VERY thin and lack quality in every department.

Tomlin, Odemwingie, Matthews and Baker give the squad a completely different complexion, and when you take those out the lack of quality and depth in the squad is very obvious. 

We need a big summer, and you have to hope that plans are already being made to make sure we have both the quality and depth we need to avoid another season like this one. 

1 hour ago, brizzlelou said:

If Kodjia leaves us it will be to go back home. I certainly don't believe he will look to move within this country just yet. He is still learning the language. I really think he still trying to 'settle'

And we won't sign Odemwidgie.  No way.  To old and to pricey for us

2 hours ago, Andy082005 said:

If Kodjia leaves us it will be to go back home. I certainly don't believe he will look to move within this country just yet. He is still learning the language. I really think he still trying to 'settle'

Agreed. And, admittedly without doing much research, I don't know how many French sides would be in a position where they could afford the likely asking price, and whether those that could afford him would have their sights set a bit higher. 

The summer will be interesting.

The likes of Tomlin, Matthews, Baker, Odemwingie and even Pearce are all regulars in the match day squad, and the first four have certainly had a significant impact for us, yet we are not guaranteed to have any of them here next year.

Ignoring youth players who've made appeared this year like O'Leary and Vyner, we have a first team squad of 18 contracted players, and that includes Wes Burns, Osborne, Reid, Wagstaff and El Abd, all of whom (at least in my understanding; please correct me if I'm wrong) are out of contract in the summer.

So if I am correct, that gives us a squad of just 13 players who we'll have available, including two keepers.

For me, if we can stay at this level, and with the stadium opening, this is actually very good news.

LJ hopefully gets an increased budget, thanks to the increased capacity, and also a pretty clean slate to build on.

No idea who of the out of contract players might stay, or which of the loan players will sign on for longer (though right now I'd have them all in a heart beat), but it gives Ashton and LJ a strong hand in terms of shaping the side they want.

Going to be a busy summer I think.

LJ has a huge job ahead this summer, take out the loan players and our squad is pathetic in Size and quality. Make the same mistakes as we did last summer we can look forward to another relegation scrap.

11 minutes ago, Super said:

LJ has a huge job ahead this summer, take out the loan players and our squad is pathetic in Size and quality. Make the same mistakes as we did last summer we can look forward to another relegation scrap.

I don't think we will make the same mistakes as last year. If we make mistakes , they will entirely new ones. A lot of work and deals need to be done and hopefully we've started already. LJ seems a forward thinker so with luck things should be lined up .

I think it's inevitable he will raid Barnsley for a few players and heard Tommy Smith who was his assistant is coming so looks like no future for Pemberton. LJ has eyes on Hibs striker following scouting mission recently and pretty certain we will go back for Gilbey. Matthews will join us in the summer and hope Tomlin also. Not sure about Baker but think LJ likes Pearce so will see on that one. Unless a ridiculous bid comes in for Flint from a Prem club then he along with Bryan & Smith will be with us still. I think we see a lot of fringe players leave and very few staying who are out of contract. It's likely to be a very busy close season and just hope we do our business as early as possible as last summer was embarrassing and was the cause of our poor first half of the season as well as SC stubborn tactics. 

I am sure there will be many threads on OTIB over the coming 4 months on this subject with rumours and speculation which in some people's opinion is more entertaining than the football season

1 hour ago, samo II said:

LJ hopefully gets an increased budget, thanks to the increased capacity, and also a pretty clean slate to build on.

Great point; perhaps having a small core number in the summer could work in LJ's favour. Assuming of course we can get quality and numbers.

1 hour ago, samo II said:

The summer will be interesting.

The likes of Tomlin, Matthews, Baker, Odemwingie and even Pearce are all regulars in the match day squad, and the first four have certainly had a significant impact for us, yet we are not guaranteed to have any of them here next year.

Ignoring youth players who've made appeared this year like O'Leary and Vyner, we have a first team squad of 18 contracted players, and that includes Wes Burns, Osborne, Reid, Wagstaff and El Abd, all of whom (at least in my understanding; please correct me if I'm wrong) are out of contract in the summer.

So if I am correct, that gives us a squad of just 13 players who we'll have available, including two keepers.

For me, if we can stay at this level, and with the stadium opening, this is actually very good news.

No idea who of the out of contract players might stay, or which of the loan players will sign on for longer (though right now I'd have them all in a heart beat), but it gives Ashton and LJ a strong hand in terms of shaping the side they want.

Going to be a busy summer I think.

7 minutes ago, reformed_red said:

Great point; perhaps having a small core number in the summer could work in LJ's favour. Assuming of course we can get quality and numbers.

This something i said a couple of weeks back, most new Managers/Coaches have to wheel and deal to get rid of players they don't want before bringing new players in, this shouldn't be a problem for LJ.

Although I worry the removal of the emergency loan will mean clubs will hang on to fringe players (us included), there are going to be a fair few clubs, who either spent heavily or kept high wage earners in the hope of the 'promised land'....who will need to cut their cloth accordingly next season.

Lets just say Burnley, Boro and Brighton go up, what will that mean for the likes of:

Hull

Derby

QPR - already in bad financial position

Fulham - could still be under embargo

Cardiff - basket case

etc

Archived