IGNORED

Steve Cotterill

DavidNoble

39 minutes ago, spudski said:

What are you a clairvoyant? How do you know another manager couldn't have done the same. Like me saying we wouldn't be in the Championship now because SC would have taken us down. As for SoD...just goes to show how little you know about football...his circumstances and why SC eventually failed here. Why not pop over David Lloyd one day and have a word with him...he's quite willing to slag off city now to anyone who'll listen...feeling so hard done by.

It's not really the point whether another manager might've done the same. They didn't - Steve Cotterill did. Believe me, many managers have spent money at football clubs and achieved nothing. Having the players is only half the job. Cotterill's management was a huge part of our success that season.

Not knowing what goes on behind the scenes at Bristol City doesn't equate to knowing nothing about football. I didn't particularly rate SOD's management style regardless.

4 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Just to give some balance , MA also worked for us when McInnes was our manager. You seem to have started his association with us in 2014/2015.

Not knocking MA at all, I think he's doing an amazing job for us. Just filling in the gaps...

True, but that was when the shambles of Guy Price etc. were at the helm.

5 minutes ago, Super said:

Surely there is a better job around for him?

Depends how long he's happy to be out of a job, are a championship club likely to touch him after being sacked within a season in the division? Then you've got to look to league one and the bigger clubs in the league are all likely to be doing alright, maybe Coventry... but then that has its own issues. Depends on the project he's happy to look for.

On 27/09/2016 at 01:50, Robin1988 said:

2014-15 - Great summer of transfers, MA has influence over transfers.

2015-16 - Terrible summer of transfers, MA gone. Great winter of transfers, MA back.

2016-17 - Superb summer of transfers, MA here throughout.

Now in each case he was working with a manager/head coach; it's their job to identify the players, and his to get them in. And coincidentally the year he wasn't around, we did naff all.

I'm not sure MA was here the league 1 winners season, pretty sure it was the year before, he was at Oxford that season.

11 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

I'm not sure MA was here the league 1 winners season, pretty sure it was the year before, he was at Oxford that season.

He had gone, I'm not sure where I saw it but it has been said by people at the club he had an influence over the transfer set-up which was used that summer.

Same few posters still sticking the boot in to Cotterill whenever they can. Never liked him when he was here and were just waiting to get on his back at any occasion they could.

I thought Cotterill was class. Always be grateful to him for saving us from relegation to league two under SOD (which was the worst football I've ever seen) and then for getting us back into the championship. 

2 minutes ago, Griffin said:

I know this is a forum and it's meant for opinions but only on OTIB could we have 6 pages of arguing about one of, if not, the most successful managers we've ever had.

Not necessarily, he was a divisive figure. Some of the things he did last season are worthy of debate and are rightfully being scrutinised. Him being successful or not doesn't make him immune to scrutiny or discussion.

Almost all managers divide opinion to a degree; Cotterill does more than most. There's also a difference between 'argument' and 'debate', it seems to be debate on here about him, because there's a great deal about him to discuss.

@griffin I completely agree. He did a good job for us when we needed a lift, built one of our best squads of all time and delivered two trophies. All good things come to an end and we've moved on but there is no reason to slate Cotts.

It wouldn't surprise me I he ends up at Coventry soon. Mowbray is supposedly on the verge of the exit there.

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Not necessarily, he was a divisive figure. Some of the things he did last season are worthy of debate and are rightfully being scrutinised. Him being successful or not doesn't make him immune to scrutiny or discussion.

Almost all managers divide opinion to a degree; Cotterill does more than most. There's also a difference between 'argument' and 'debate', it seems to be debate on here about him, because there's a great deal about him to discuss.

I do understand your point, I just think.. It's done now? I don't know, maybe it's just me with bigger priorities than scrutinising ex managers, but then, I'm still on OTIB anyway  

3 minutes ago, Griffin said:

I do understand your point, I just think.. It's done now? I don't know, maybe it's just me with bigger priorities than scrutinising ex managers, but then, I'm still on OTIB anyway  

It is interesting discussion and still pretty recent. Johnson, Wilson and Coppell are still discussed on here, surely the fact he had the great 14/15 before the hugely disappointing 15/16 make him even more debate-worthy? Why did it go wrong? Etc

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It is interesting discussion and still pretty recent. Johnson, Wilson and Coppell are still discussed on here, surely the fact he had the great 14/15 before the hugely disappointing 15/16 make him even more debate-worthy? Why did it go wrong? Etc

Yeah I don't disagree with that I just think it's a bit sad when people are full on going head to head over it, can't see the appeal.

1 minute ago, Griffin said:

Yeah I don't disagree with that I just think it's a bit sad when people are full on going head to head over it, can't see the appeal.

I think it's because he was so divisive. Overall, I didn't exactly warm to him completely as a person. I found him to come across as terse, petty and stubborn.  Ideally I want to 'like' our manager, not that it's a prerequisite to success, and I like LJ. He indulges fans with his own knowledge and personality in a way which I felt Cotterill never did.

There were times his personality was great and clearly energised the team (Swindon at home had a real sense of revenge about it, AG was rocking that night and Cotterill helped create that and got us the win). Then there were times when it wasn't great (not filling the bench, altercation with that supporter in the Atyeo). He certainly was divisive and it's an interesting thing to discuss in my opinion.

Archived