IGNORED

Steve Cotterill

DavidNoble

4 hours ago, WarksRobin said:

@griffin I completely agree. He did a good job for us when we needed a lift, built one of our best squads of all time and delivered two trophies. All good things come to an end and we've moved on but there is no reason to slate Cotts.

It wouldn't surprise me I he ends up at Coventry soon. Mowbray is supposedly on the verge of the exit there.

Mowbray now gone so you may be right and Cotts is leading the Poll in the Coventry Telegraph of who the fans want

4 hours ago, WarksRobin said:

@griffin I completely agree. He did a good job for us when we needed a lift, built one of our best squads of all time and delivered two trophies. All good things come to an end and we've moved on but there is no reason to slate Cotts.

It wouldn't surprise me I he ends up at Coventry soon. Mowbray is supposedly on the verge of the exit there.

Defo not one of our best ever squads . A squad equipped to get us promotion yes. Did a cracking job until the last few moments 

An interesting 'revelation' in the recent allegations was that a certain manager - and not, necessarily, a Premier League manager - would often try to have an appearance clause inserted in to players' contracts whereby the player would be payed X for making an appearance - even if only for two or three minutes at the end of the game - and said manager would ensure that the player paid him a percentage from his appearance fee.... 

During the 2014/2015 season, there were numerous occasions when players (JET especially springs to mind) were brought on in what, at the time, seemed a futile, even ludicrous, effort to affect the game, and while the reasons may well have been entirely innocent or may even have been just to enable players to benefit from their appearance clauses and gain an extra payment, it does raise an uncomfortable question given recent events.   

34 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

An interesting 'revelation' in the recent allegations was that a certain manager - and not, necessarily, a Premier League manager - would often try to have an appearance clause inserted in to players' contracts whereby the player would be payed X for making an appearance - even if only for two or three minutes at the end of the game - and said manager would ensure that the player paid him a percentage from his appearance fee.... 

During the 2014/2015 season, there were numerous occasions when players (JET especially springs to mind) were brought on in what, at the time, seemed a futile, even ludicrous, effort to affect the game, and while the reasons may well have been entirely innocent or may even have been just to enable players to benefit from their appearance clauses and gain an extra payment, it does raise an uncomfortable question given recent events.   

I think there are enough 89th minute substitutes to question every single manager in the football league if that was the case

1 minute ago, Woodsy said:

I think there are enough 89th minute substitutes to question every single manager in the football league if that was the case

I agree entirely when it is a case of just trying to run the game down or waste time etc. 

The occasions to which I was referring were the two or three minutes at the end of the game when, ostensibly at least, there was no obvious reason to bring on a substitute, save for a brief run-out: this may well have been the reason, similar to putting a youth team player on the bench (Yes, I know that didn't happen very often, and I am sure SC had his reasons for preferring to leave his bench a man or two short, rather than pick a youth team player, but that is another subject entirely).

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Manager disrupts the flow of the game by bringing on late subs shocker. Must be bent.

1 hour ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I agree entirely when it is a case of just trying to run the game down or waste time etc. 

The occasions to which I was referring were the two or three minutes at the end of the game when, ostensibly at least, there was no obvious reason to bring on a substitute, save for a brief run-out: this may well have been the reason, similar to putting a youth team player on the bench (Yes, I know that didn't happen very often, and I am sure SC had his reasons for preferring to leave his bench a man or two short, rather than pick a youth team player, but that is another subject entirely).

Did you previously mention or consider time wasting?... I suspect more subs were brought on at those dying ember moments when a team is holding a draw or winning position than when losing.

9 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Did you previously mention or consider time wasting?... I suspect more subs were brought on at those dying ember moments when a team is holding a draw or winning position than when losing.

We only won 4 games out of 26 that season before he was sacked I believe, would like to see the timings, they must be somewhere (Not saying it was anything dodgy at all, I'd actually just be interested)

2 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Wasn't Colin accused of basically charging players who were on appearance money for playing them? I think it was on twitter and then the allegation was withdrawn?

Will always respect Cotts for the amount of time he gave to everyone who wanted to shake hands,  get an autograph or a selfie with him at the Harbourside on the open bus tour day celebrating the promotion...

He was still smiling, and chatting with everyone who had waited to congratulate him and the squad long ,way long, after all the rest of the players, club reps and fans had left or moved onto other areas.. he had time for everyone and made sure nobody was overlooked.

In this day and age of often egotistical self important football types his accessibility beyond normal expectations on that day deserves appreciation. 

Always respect the man for getting us into the Championship and for providing Lee Johnson (SL & co) with the platform to take us to where we are now and hopefully beyond.  :clapping: .

3 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

Now im probably way off base here but im sure i heard from someone at the time that JET had a none playing clause in his contract so when fit he should play, Cotterill was bringing him on so he didnt get it, make of it what you will as its probably bollox, it was ages ago mind.

15 minutes ago, tts_city said:

Now im probably way off base here but im sure i heard from someone at the time that JET had a none playing clause in his contract so when fit he should play, Cotterill was bringing him on so he didnt get it, make of it what you will as its probably bollox, it was ages ago mind.

That would explain things and, in a way, I sort of hope you are right.

I always believed in SC, notwithstanding his intransigence and petulance towards the end of his reign, and I would be extremely disappointed if it was ever proven that he was on the fiddle.

3 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

My instinct is that isn't true for the simple reason I'm pretty sure JET didn't negotiate a contract whilst SC was at the club.

What I did recollect during the recent allegations was one of the myriad rumours last summer was that two deals were agreed early in the summer but that the club pulled the plug on them due to concerns about certain aspects of the transfers and that *may* have related to suspicious clauses.  It was one of a number of rumours and I don't think there was any suggestion, even if there was something suspicious about the deals, SC was the person responsible for that.  But if someone who seems as on the level as JFH has been implicated in this then it does make you wonder exactly what is going on elsewhere in football...

28 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

Will always respect Cotts for the amount of time he gave to everyone who wanted to shake hands,  get an autograph or a selfie with him at the Harbourside on the open bus tour day celebrating the promotion...

He was still smiling, and chatting with everyone who had waited to congratulate him and the squad long ,way long, after all the rest of the players, club reps and fans had left or moved onto other areas.. he had time for everyone and made sure nobody was overlooked.

In this day and age of often egotistical self important football types his accessibility beyond normal expectations on that day deserves appreciation. 

Always respect the man for getting us into the Championship and for providing Lee Johnson (SL & co) with the platform to take us to where we are now and hopefully beyond.  :clapping: .

He probably enjoyed it just as much as the fans...big ego, loved hearing the praise. Reminded very much of how John Ward was. Shaking everyone's hand, signing autographs and listening to all the praise. Surprised their necks could hold their heads up come the end ;-)

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

He probably enjoyed it just as much as the fans...big ego, loved hearing the praise. Reminded very much of how John Ward was. Shaking everyone's hand, signing autographs and listening to all the praise. Surprised their necks could hold their heads up come the end ;-)

That's a rare thing a manager with an ego.....

33 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

You say a lot of the things I think about him.  He does give off an arrogant aura, but I just think he set himself up like this to try to get that 'winner' mentality across to the players, although it is part of his make-up too.  I guess it was difficult to keep that going when you're not winning.  Of course he was a bitter loser, most are.

Youre right about him having time for everyone.  You wouldn't think that the bloke striding across millennium square in his shorts, vest and footballer-flip-flops would be happy to be stopped in his tracks and gave a few minutes chat with you, but he would.  Not many managers would beckon the photographers back to the wheelchair area on the last day of 14/15 season to make sure Joe, Oskar etc got a bit of the glory with the trophies with him and SL.  I'll never forget that.  That is his human, humble, non-bravado side.

He was passionate, detailed in everything he did, but unfortunately it went a bit pear-shaped last season.  I still think we'd have survived (just) with him in charge, but we made a brave decision, and made a well calculated decision on LJ to evolve us further.  We might be in League Two without Cotts.

At the time of his appointment, @Harry made an excellent post about what LJ would bring, and it has proved to be spot on.  LJ's insight is fantastic, and I can't help lap it up.

The football club is joined up for once.  Maybe Cotts was the 'short-term' (although long-term in football) fix we needed for the first team to allow the whole club to prepare us for this next step.

Love Cotts, also Love LJ.

I do think it is a real shame with Cotts that the last six months happened and people's memories were soured the way they were.  That promotion season we without question played the best football I've ever seen at the club.  Obviously there was an issue in the Championship in that we struggled to adapt our way of playing - which was based on an assumption of us being the stronger side - to games where that wasn't the case.  But I also think the reality is that the relationship with the board broke down over the summer to a point where, whatever happened and whoever's fault it was - Cotterill was clearly unhappy and had lost his enthusiasm for the role.  It probably would have been better if both sides had agreed there and then to part rather than to drag things out.  But hindsight is of course easy.

And it doesn't change the fact Cotterill did a fantastic job for 18 months and the 2014/2015 season was brilliant.  He also turned the tide of a failing club and got everyone excited again.  Without him we certainly wouldn't be where we are now. 

10 hours ago, Griffin said:

I know this is a forum and it's meant for opinions but only on OTIB could we have 6 pages of arguing about one of, if not, the most successful managers we've ever had.

Shows how mediocre this club really is if we're praising a manager on not only promotion from the 3rd tier of English football and a minor trophy to boot but being the most successful manager we've ever had 

Before someone goes off on one, it was a fantastic season but for me Cotterill was a highly divisive figure with no real Plan B, his interviews were bizarre... I thought his attitude towards the end of his tenure was a disgrace and should have gone earlier (Derby away game for his comments which made the club a bit of a laughing stock)

11 hours ago, Carey 6 said:

Same few posters still sticking the boot in to Cotterill whenever they can. Never liked him when he was here and were just waiting to get on his back at any occasion they could.

I thought Cotterill was class. Always be grateful to him for saving us from relegation to league two under SOD (which was the worst football I've ever seen) and then for getting us back into the championship. 

Isn't your bottom paragraph a debatable point? How do you know we would've been relegated? It was November ffs.  I seen plenty of posters defend Cotterill when we were pure dirge last season when others questioned the fact about staying up but I guess its one rule for one and another rule for another.

17 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

Shows how mediocre this club really is if we're praising a manager on not only promotion from the 3rd tier of English football and a minor trophy to boot but being the most successful manager we've ever had 

Before someone goes off on one, it was a fantastic season but for me Cotterill was a highly divisive figure with no real Plan B, his interviews were bizarre... I thought his attitude towards the end of his tenure was a disgrace and should have gone earlier (Derby away game for his comments which made the club a bit of a laughing stock)

I still can't get my head around how the planning, attention to detail etc from Cotts, etc from the previous season all went wrong over the summer of 15/16.  I honestly don't think it was all down to Cotts.  I think he was let down.  If so, he should've quit, but easier said than done. I do think some of SLs interviews were impeccably timed.  Not saying he was at fault or covering things up to save his own face, probably keeping the club itself from rumour, conjecture etc.  Cotts was petulant, and a bit embarrassing at time, but that's what pressure does to you.  The players never failed to give 100%, that should be remembered as that is usually the first sign that the dressing room has been lost.

He might well be the most successful based on trophies, but for me our best manager was Cooper.  I only started watching City once Dicks had got to the top flight, not him getting us there, which must place him right up there.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I still can't get my head around how the planning, attention to detail etc from Cotts, etc from the previous season all went wrong over the summer of 15/16.  I honestly don't think it was all down to Cotts.  I think he was let down.  If so, he should've quit, but easier said than done. I do think some of SLs interviews were impeccably timed.  Not saying he was at fault or covering things up to save his own face, probably keeping the club itself from rumour, conjecture etc.  Cotts was petulant, and a bit embarrassing at time, but that's what pressure does to you.  The players never failed to give 100%, that should be remembered as that is usually the first sign that the dressing room has been lost.

He might well be the most successful based on trophies, but for me our best manager was Cooper.  I only started watching City once Dicks had got to the top flight, not him getting us there, which must place him right up there.

Tbf someone pointed out that he fell out with the board and lost his enthusiasm last summer, he should've walked then if he felt he was let down by the board.. he jeopardised the clubs position in the Championship and his own credibility by staying. Just seems totally unprofessional.

He was at fault for alot on the pitch, playing Wilbs to the point he was shattered and ineffective, tactics didn't work, his failure to try and change the game if its going against us where in my opinion LJ excels at.. our defence was terrible, we weren't scoring towards the end and it was pretty much just awful to witness as bad as McInnes's last days if not worse, sometimes he was oblivious to what was happening on the pitch highlighted by his post Reading interview.

37 minutes ago, Dark Wood Covert said:

Promotion?, the only championship for over 60 years, FFS even Rovers won a championship after Jordan's team surrendered at Twerton, yes we have been mediocre and hopefully that is changing, however I do agree about the timing of his dismissal, that was somebody else's decision.

But please he's gone and we now have a proper team in place that seem to be going in the right direction, so let's get behind LJ until the inevitable happens either he gets a better offer or he gets sacked and then it'll be his turn in the barrel.

Archived