IGNORED

Adam El-abd

gfc1234

7 minutes ago, gfc1234 said:

Wondering why he never got much of a chance at Bristol City? Seems to be enjoying his loan at Gillingham...We have had 5 clean sheets in the 5 games he has started! Defends as though his life depends on it!

Just one of those that never worked out. Happens to many deals. Came here, looked out of sorts and lost the trust of management. No doubt there's a good player there, just not meant to be here. 

Came in and was put into a back 3 where he never looked comfortable and struggled to adjust. His performances were poor and found himself dropped, not helped by getting a red card away at Peterborough. Then there were rumours of a serious falling out with the manager (possibly fisticuffs?) and it became clear that he wasn't ever going to find a way back into favour.

To his credit, he's been keen to go out on loan and seems to have done pretty well wherever he's gone. Clearly a good player, it just hasn't worked out here for a number of reasons. 

As above posters said it never worked out here.

He always kept me on the edge of my seat watching him defend corners and set pieces, the way he tries to take off the oppositions shirts was a big worry.

Always seemed like a penalty, mistake or red card was never too far away.

Nothing against the guy and i hope he does well in the future.

23 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Came in and was put into a back 3 where he never looked comfortable and struggled to adjust. His performances were poor and found himself dropped, not helped by getting a red card away at Peterborough. Then there were rumours of a serious falling out with the manager (possibly fisticuffs?) and it became clear that he wasn't ever going to find a way back into favour.

To his credit, he's been keen to go out on loan and seems to have done pretty well wherever he's gone. Clearly a good player, it just hasn't worked out here for a number of reasons. 

That is interesting as he has been in the middle of a back 3 and looks at home! As you say sometimes things don't work out!

47 minutes ago, gfc1234 said:

That is interesting as he has been in the middle of a back 3 and looks at home! As you say sometimes things don't work out!

We played him on the left though, even though he is all right footed.

To be honest I don't think he is of Championship standard any more, with a year left on his deal it would make sense for both parties if he moved on this summer.

28 minutes ago, RedDave said:

14 games is enough to know he isn't good enough.  

He's been here a while because no other team wants to sign him permanently.  

You could have said the same when Flint first signed for us.....just as well our coaches didn't have your mentality 

and he's been here a while as he was signed up on a fairly lucrative 4 year contract......something I doubt lower league clubs who may want him for his ability would struggle to offer

11 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

You could have said the same when Flint first signed for us.....just as well our coaches didn't have your mentality 

and he's been here a while as he was signed up on a fairly lucrative 4 year contract......something I doubt lower league clubs who may want him for his ability would struggle to offer

So you want El Abd back in our squad then?

23 minutes ago, RedDave said:

So you want El Abd back in our squad then?

Whilst he is on contract he is part of the squad albeit out on loan at present but if he was called back for any reason then I would have no problem if Johnson put him in the match day team/squad. 

He has almost 400 career appearances and appears to have done well on his loans so you can't just write him off as "shite" because of a somewhat dodgy start to his city career (I will reference Flint again). 

Clearly things didn't work out for him when he first signed for various reasons and he has struggled to get into the team since things took off on the pitch but he was bought on a long term no doubt lucrative contract so clearly the club saw something......unfortunately, some people like to just write players off as "shite" without understanding all the potential circumstances.

he still has another year on his contract so if baker goes back and flint is sold he may well be back in the fold

6 minutes ago, RedRaw said:

Whilst he is on contract he is part of the squad albeit out on loan at present but if he was called back for any reason then I would have no problem if Johnson put him in the match day team/squad. 

He has almost 400 career appearances and appears to have done well on his loans so you can't just write him off as "shite" because of a somewhat dodgy start to his city career (I will reference Flint again). 

Clearly things didn't work out for him when he first signed for various reasons and he has struggled to get into the team since things took off on the pitch but he was bought on a long term no doubt lucrative contract so clearly the club saw something......unfortunately, some people like to just write players off as "shite" without understanding all the potential circumstances.

he still has another year on his contract so if baker goes back and flint is sold he may well be back in the fold

Perhaps we should get back all our shite players and give them a chance.

Don't suppose you have Nyatanga and Kilkenny's number do you?  Players who have also made hundreds of appearances and were signed by this club on long term contracts.  

If not then Woolford or Mark Wilson will be fine.  Cheers 

Who said anything about getting players back that have left?......last I looked el abd was still contracted to Bristol city.

My point being that if and when he plays for us again he should be given every opportunity to stake his claim the same as other players who may have gone through dodgy periods......you sound like the sort of bloke that would give him hell the minute he put a foot wrong

Anyone see the highlights of Gillingham's game last weekend? Yeah they can keep him. 

At least the bloke has been willing to go out and play games rather than just pick up his wages for nothing though.

Obviously a good professional, as Reid alluded to in his interview in the last games programme, just seems to have lost his head a bit in terms of composure in games.

Reckon they could knock 50k off the Dack fee for him?

7 hours ago, RedRaw said:

Who said anything about getting players back that have left?......last I looked el abd was still contracted to Bristol city.

My point being that if and when he plays for us again he should be given every opportunity to stake his claim the same as other players who may have gone through dodgy periods......you sound like the sort of bloke that would give him hell the minute he put a foot wrong

No I wouldn't. Would only give a player hell if they weren't trying.  That can't be aimed at El-Abd.  My point is that he is shite. Don't know where you get the assumption I'd give him hell.

His opportunity has been and gone and I'm surprised you can't see that 

I can't remember who City were playing at AG just after El Abd had joined and he was caught out by a nippy forward who skinned him and it led to us conceding. He had a shocking day and after that he was never forgiven by the City faithful.

It was a shame for him. He'd come from Brighton were the fans loved him and rated him highly but after that poor game he hardly featured under Cotterill.

I would add that he was always looking for some rough and tumble with the opposition. That meant he was not concentrating on the positives and left him wide open to getting cards from refs.

He hadn't changed at start of this season, doing exactly that in an Under 21 pre-season game at Taunton. 

As others have said, it just didn't work out. I'm pretty sure he, and Cotts probably, knew it was a bad signing straightaway

To El-Abd's credit I've never heard him say a bad word about the club, or anyone involved with it. He's had 3 loan spells, just so he can keep playing football - I've got a lot of time for a man like that

On a thread here a while back, I saw him in @Bristol two years ago, on a Saturday afternoon when we were playing Walsall at home, he was obviously not involved. He was there with his wife and kids, but looked like he'd rather be anywhere else. If you've ever had a job that has sucked the life, the joy, the pleasure out of everything, you will understand. It happened to me - it's shit, it really does stick you on your arse

So to all the people taking shots at the bloke, I'm so happy that you've all had a perfect life. Maybe it will happen to you one day and you will understand it a bit better, and be able to give a more informed opinion. Until then, maybe it's best you keep quiet

Archived