IGNORED

1yr extensions for Wes & Bobby (merged)

CyderInACan

48 minutes ago, Scrumpy said:

It's a pleasure to watch Reid when he's in his element. Sounds simple, but he looks better with the added quality in the side. Most players look a bit 'out of their depth' when they play with better players ie Tomlin & Kodjia.

Dare I say it, but I think Reid wouldn't look out of place in the Premier League. It has been mentioned he is 'lightweight', but there are many top players who don't have the most physical aspects.

The beauty of our squad is that we can shape it to match the opponents. Reid was never going to make an impression on a team like Rotherham, but will flourish and be included in our expansive, higher quality matches.

Looking forward to seeing him further progress and prove himself at this level and perhaps beyond!

Bobby is a bit ' Sterling ' like .

4 hours ago, BarnzFM said:

Then break the record for consecutive games he's scored, followed by a call up to the national team and winning the next major tournament with..,. er Wales ?

Well, as the film states "Nobody's perfect!"

1 hour ago, Ivorguy said:

The credit for Wes doing well at Fleetwood and Bobby with us lies with Lee 

Get your point about Lee wanting Wes to have first team games but

Id respectfully suggest that The credit for Wes doing well at Fleetwood lies with Wes himself

Just had a in and out run in the first team here and it's suggested you go to Fleetwood on loan in a relegation battle

Did he sulk, coast , let any dissapointment affect him.      No

Rolled his sleeves up, attacked the task with enthusiasm and has impacted with goals and performances in each game he's played for them and looks like he may well play a significant role in getting them out the mire :fingerscrossed:

Earns my respect massively :clap:

Has proved he can score goals and cause problems in L1 (in a struggling side) - let's hope he gets a run of games here - he could potentially be a gem for us - needs to be given a run centrally for me IMHO

Well done Bobby too

Personally I would have offered Bobby 2 yrs and Wes 3 yrs at this point

• The title was changed to 1yr extensions for Wes & Bobby (merged)

This has been good news today for the club and the players.  Hoping that Reid and Burns can kick on a little bit further next season, and I'm confident that they have a coach who will mentor and help develop them.

Hopefully Burns can go on to become a Championship class player.

10 hours ago, downendcity said:

Wes might not have the talent to make it at this level. He does however have one thing that cannot be coached and that is pace - defenders at any level are frightened of pace, as Vardy has proved at the very top level.

Playing regularly seems to have given him confidence and he seems to know where the net is. Good coaching and playing regularly might just see us getting the best out of him. 

A confident Wes playing up front alongside  Kodjia would be interesting and might see opposition teams wearing their change strip with brown shorts!

A better, more confident Wes is a rival to the Kodj and maybe in time a replacement.  Can't see them ever playing together - both are 'mercurial' and a bit similar.

Before the game on Saturday, I was saying to a mate that we need to keep faith particularly with Bobby because his best years will come when he comes to terms with how to play at this level. He clearly has the ability but physically he has to adapt and that takes a degree of self awareness not normally present in 20 year olds. He's really showing what he is capable of and if he continues to feature regularly will continue to improve.  

English football is very physical and typically players who are successful at a younger age are strong (eg Rooney, Barkley, Gascoigne and Alli). Others take time to adapt.  Bobby is one of these.  He'll get better with age.

16 hours ago, Nomad said:

Excellent news. Would have preferred if they were signing for more than a year though.

12 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

9 minutes ago, Chairman Mao said:

Would've liked 2 years but good to see none the less

Contracts may not have necessarily have allowed that without negotiating a new deal. Generally the extension clauses are an extra 1 year, so by activating that even if we negotiate a new deal early next season, works better for the club.

On 4/13/2016 at 08:11, Major Isewater said:

23 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Get your point about Lee wanting Wes to have first team games but

Id respectfully suggest that The credit for Wes doing well at Fleetwood lies with Wes himself

Just had a in and out run in the first team here and it's suggested you go to Fleetwood on loan in a relegation battle

Did he sulk, coast , let any dissapointment affect him.      No

Rolled his sleeves up, attacked the task with enthusiasm and has impacted with goals and performances in each game he's played for them and looks like he may well play a significant role in getting them out the mire :fingerscrossed:

Earns my respect massively :clap:

Has proved he can score goals and cause problems in L1 (in a struggling side) - let's hope he gets a run of games here - he could potentially be a gem for us - needs to be given a run centrally for me IMHO

Well done Bobby too

Thing is we're looking to improve drastically on this season's struggles with the signings of the likes of perhaps Tomlin, and lower league 'stars' like Gilbey & Dack, or similar in midfield.

Is BR going to improve enough to make himself a regular first team choice with the current squad, let alone a strengthened one?

Is he likely to play a run of, say, 6 games on merit rather than circumstances of injuries or rotation of a currently fairly small squad?

Well, I don't think so, but he has another year to prove people like me wrong, and now he's been retained of course I hope he does.

Longer contracts? Bobby especially is at an age where he has to improve constantly year by year to get another extension, and 1 year gives him the opportunity to do that while keeping him focussed and 'hungry'.

In Wes' case I think the onus will be on LJ and City to clearly show him there is a pathway for him at AG by increasing his first team chances. Otherwise I expect him to move on by his own choice next Summer to further his prospects because I'm sure there will be other clubs ready and willing to throw him in and really launch his career.

The 1 year deals show LJ is not convinced of either player at this stage, but BR, being 2 years older presumably has more to prove, and more quickly, than Wes.

13 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Thing is we're looking to improve drastically on this season's struggles with the signings of the likes of perhaps Tomlin, and lower league 'stars' like Gilbey & Dack, or similar in midfield.

Is BR going to improve enough to make himself a regular first team choice with the current squad, let alone a strengthened one?

Is he likely to play a run of, say, 6 games on merit rather than circumstances of injuries or rotation of a currently fairly small squad?

Well, I don't think so, but he has another year to prove people like me wrong, and now he's been retained of course I hope he does.

Longer contracts? Bobby especially is at an age where he has to improve constantly year by year to get another extension, and 1 year gives him the opportunity to do that while keeping him focussed and 'hungry'.

In Wes' case I think the onus will be on LJ and City to clearly show him there is a pathway for him at AG by increasing his first team chances. Otherwise I expect him to move on by his own choice next Summer to further his prospects because I'm sure there will be other clubs ready and willing to throw him in and really launch his career.

The 1 year deals show LJ is not convinced of either player at this stage, but BR, being 2 years older presumably has more to prove, and more quickly, than Wes.

I don't agree with your last phrase at all . I think Johnson is fully aware of what he has and i believe it is just easier at the moment to take up the option ( a no brainer ) of contract extentions for two of our brightest young players .

I expect the club will do other business before getting round to offering them both new contracts to keep them here or avoid that they go for peanuts or nothing at the end of next season .

Here's hoping .

and here's hopping.  :bounce:

space stylie.

On 4/13/2016 at 08:11, Major Isewater said:

On 4/13/2016 at 11:59, BobBobSuperBob said:

13 hours ago, The Bard said:

A better, more confident Wes is a rival to the Kodj and maybe in time a replacement.  Can't see them ever playing together - both are 'mercurial' and a bit similar.

Before the game on Saturday, I was saying to a mate that we need to keep faith particularly with Bobby because his best years will come when he comes to terms with how to play at this level. He clearly has the ability but physically he has to adapt and that takes a degree of self awareness not normally present in 20 year olds. He's really showing what he is capable of and if he continues to feature regularly will continue to improve.  

English football is very physical and typically players who are successful at a younger age are strong (eg Rooney, Barkley, Gascoigne and Alli). Others take time to adapt.  Bobby is one of these.  He'll get better with age.

Well neither are 20 year olds, even Wes is 21 and 'young Bobby' has already achieved the ripe old age of 23.

It's unlikely either Bobby's awareness or physique will develop much more at his age - in fact bulking him up further may even prove detrimental by diminishing his athleticism - and the awareness he lacks is in the defensive side to his game which coaches at City and elsewhere have failed to markedly improve over the years.

5 years is already a very long time to keep faith in a naturally skilful player in the hope of necessary improvements in basic areas of the game.

LJ obviously feels his weaknesses like marking, tracking, tackling and giving the ball away can still be rectified sufficiently to make him a more consistent asset to BCFC and no doubt he has his own ideas on how to improve him as an all round player.

Let's hope he can and next year is the year that the club's longstanding and continuing faith in their longest serving player finally pays dividends.

38 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Good points Nog

I was also working on the theory and I don't know , and I might be naive,  but I would guess the money these lads are on isn't going to dramatically affect who we bring in, budget wise

I would suggest both have a 'value' in the market already should we or they wish to move on and therefore (and I'm only summising) there contracts would not be a (great) risk financially and would give both a confidence boost and a chance to play under less pressure

I accept that both have to establish themselves as Championship Players but both have already done so at times and both are still youngish in age and experience

In Wes's case I'd certainly not want to lose a player who is a goalscorer amongst other things - Wes could do with a run of games at an appropriate point IMO before we as fans can hope to judge how high he may go

I come back to the fact that the only thing that is really holding Bobby Reid back is his lack of physical stature.  Surely he can be put on weights for the summer?  Other players have done it...

Forgive me if it has already been covered (I'm sure), but what other senior squad players (ignoring loanees) are out of contract at the end of the season?

Archived