IGNORED

1yr extensions for Wes & Bobby (merged)

CyderInACan

7 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

Fleetwood have inspired Wes to become the next Vardy. 18 goals from him for us next season, then 27 in our promotion season. 

Send them all there then! 

Seriously, didn't we do an overnight stay at Fleetwood when playing 'oop north' earlier on this season? I remember Cotterill raving about their facilities being top notch. Maybe if they have such good facilities they have good coaches and the time spent up there will have done him, (Wes) well. 

Good news we have secured Bobby too. Anyone watching the last few games, since Lee arrived really, can't have failed to be impressed and notice potential. I really think he will feature more and more from now on, competition for places and squad rotation has very much been the change in our mindset.

2 minutes ago, Nomad said:

Excellent news. Would have preferred if they were signing for more than a year though.

Nail hit firmly on head sir .

They improve even more this coming season and at the end walk away for peanuts , compensation for under 24's .

I hope their extensions have clauses to protect the club's interests .

Johnson clearly rates them so perhaps the moaning minnies will give it a rest for a while.

Some say Bobby is too small for midfield. I seem to remember that Gow, Tainton and Mann were not particularly tall but what great times they provided. The best things sometimes come in smaller packages.

Wes might not have the talent to make it at this level. He does however have one thing that cannot be coached and that is pace - defenders at any level are frightened of pace, as Vardy has proved at the very top level.

Playing regularly seems to have given him confidence and he seems to know where the net is. Good coaching and playing regularly might just see us getting the best out of him. 

A confident Wes playing up front alongside  Kodjia would be interesting and might see opposition teams wearing their change strip with brown shorts!

Pleased that they've both signed for another year. Good deal for them and the club.

In Burns case going out on loan to Fleetwood has obviously given him competitive league games which for any young player is a part of them learning the game and gaining experience. Bryan was on loan at Argyle not that long ago.

As for Reid, he clearly has plenty of natural ability but like Bryan of two season ago needs to beef up. Currently he's too lightweight imo for regular Championship football. Hopefully he'll become physically stronger as his body matures, just as Bryan did.

Great news on both the lads. Fully deserved! Hopefully Wes will come back and say, see play me for more than 10 minutes and I can do the business. Reid is getting better and better all be it sometimes a bit inconsistent, but his goal would have given him loads of confidence.

Any chance we can let Accrington have Agard, Waggy, Williams, Fielding and anyone else that want's to go until the end of the season :D

1 hour ago, downendcity said:

Wes might not have the talent to make it at this level. He does however have one thing that cannot be coached and that is pace - defenders at any level are frightened of pace, as Vardy has proved at the very top level.

Playing regularly seems to have given him confidence and he seems to know where the net is. Good coaching and playing regularly might just see us getting the best out of him. 

A confident Wes playing up front alongside  Kodjia would be interesting and might see opposition teams wearing their change strip with brown shorts!

I've echoed that about Wes on here a lot, pace you cannot teach. I'm convinced that a run in the team here will see Wes turn into an important player for us, he justs needs a run of games for me. He certainly knows where the goal is too, added bonus

Bobby has impressed me this season, he was on the chopping block and he's shown he's good enough at this level

Chuffed for the pair of them

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

They improve even more this coming season and at the end walk away for peanuts , compensation for under 24's .

I hope their extensions have clauses to protect the club's interests .

Only Wes to worry about on that score, Bobby Reid will be well over 24 by the end of next season.

Good luck to them both.

11 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

The credit for Wes doing well at Fleetwood and Bobby with us lies with Lee 

Think this is right -- particularly in the case of Reid. he has been transformed since LJ came in -- has obviously had some one to one serious coaching / talking / boosting of confidence. Yes still needs that bit extra in aggression and not being bullied but if he becomes more confident within  himself then he could become an excellent player for us.

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Great news on both the lads. Fully deserved! Hopefully Wes will come back and say, see play me for more than 10 minutes and I can do the business. Reid is getting better and better all be it sometimes a bit inconsistent, but his goal would have given him loads of confidence.

Any chance we can let Accrington have Agard, Waggy, Williams, Fielding and anyone else that want's to go until the end of the season :D

To be fair too Lee, I haven't looked at the stats, but I would think most if not all players available are getting more than the odd 10 minutes to prove their worth. I liked Cotterill but was hugely frustrated with the lack of squad rotation (playing players until they were so flogged it was pointless) and with his lack of use of the subs bench, Jet gets 3 minutes, wow.

It must be quite hard for a player to motivate himself to be sat on the bench week after week, if he makes the bench. Yes I understand about keeping a winning team, earning the shirt etc, but do you think Cunningham for example would have left so easily if he was getting decent game time, or at least as prospect of it. At least Bobby (and Wes when he returns) will hopefully feel they have a reasonable chance of playing football here if they keep progressing.

13 minutes ago, extonsred said:

Think this is right -- particularly in the case of Reid. he has been transformed since LJ came in -- has obviously had some one to one serious coaching / talking / boosting of confidence. Yes still needs that bit extra in aggression and not being bullied but if he becomes more confident within  himself then he could become an excellent player for us.

Transformed is a bit much, he played really well on Saturday, pretty well at Forest and Bolton.

It's a pleasure to watch Reid when he's in his element. Sounds simple, but he looks better with the added quality in the side. Most players look a bit 'out of their depth' when they play with better players ie Tomlin & Kodjia.

Dare I say it, but I think Reid wouldn't look out of place in the Premier League. It has been mentioned he is 'lightweight', but there are many top players who don't have the most physical aspects.

The beauty of our squad is that we can shape it to match the opponents. Reid was never going to make an impression on a team like Rotherham, but will flourish and be included in our expansive, higher quality matches.

Looking forward to seeing him further progress and prove himself at this level and perhaps beyond!

Archived