IGNORED

Kevin Friend

6 hours ago, Libertine1 said:

It's disrespectful to the referee's integrity imo.

I agree.

However, can you image the repercussions if he gave a disputed decision against Spurs that  ended up being the difference between Leicester or Spurs winning the title?

4 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I agree.

However, can you image the repercussions if he gave a disputed decision against Spurs that  ended up being the difference between Leicester or Spurs winning the title?

If Spurs were that cynical they could find a tenuous link between a referee and any other team and suggest wrongdoing. As could any team.

I know the link between Friend and Leicester is not so tenuous but the decision doesn't sit well with me. Easy to say though, with it not being my team.

14 minutes ago, Libertine1 said:

If Spurs were that cynical they could find a tenuous link between a referee and any other team and suggest wrongdoing. As could any team.

I know the link between Friend and Leicester is not so tenuous but the decision doesn't sit well with me. Easy to say though, with it not being my team.

I suppose the problem now is the timing, as we really are at the share end of the season and any issue will be magnified by the media.

Also, if Leicester do go on to win the title I would hate there to be any dispute over something like a referee living in Leicester to taint their acheivement.

29 minutes ago, downendcity said:

I agree.

It's where you draw the line someone who comes from Norwich can't ref a game involving Newcastle or Sunderland for example.

On 4/14/2016 at 13:16, cidered abroad said:

I wouldn't worry too much about a change of ref for Spurs v Stoke. It could be seen a sensible decision to not have any controversial decisions tainted by accusations about local bias. 

I remember Len Fricker many years ago, who I worked with at Colodense, taking charge of a Gloster Cup Final between City and Rovers. For a City fan, he gave us sod all and even booked a City player. Perhaps he was trying too hard not to show bias! 

I remember Len Fricker very well, an excellent referee albeit a stickler for insisting free kicks/throw ins were taken from exactly where they should be - woe betide you if you tried to pinch a yard or two.

I remember one occasion particularly well. On being awarded a free kick, I asked Len from where it should be taken. 'From where the foul occurred' was his curt response. My quickly taken kick received an immediate, shrill blast of his whistle. 'The foul wasn't there was it. Take the kick again from a yard back'.

He was a lovely man though, as was/is his son with whom I also played on occasions.

15 minutes ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

I remember Len Fricker very well, an excellent referee albeit a stickler for insisting free kicks/throw ins were taken from exactly where they should be - woe betide you if you tried to pinch a yard or two.

I remember one occasion particularly well. On being awarded a free kick, I asked Len from where it should be taken. 'From where the foul occurred' was his curt response. My quickly taken kick received an immediate, shrill blast of his whistle. 'The foul wasn't there was it. Take the kick again from a yard back'.

He was a lovely man though, as was/is his son with whom I also played on occasions.

Len was a great bloke and an excellent ref albeit a stickler for the rules.In addition his appearance was always immaculate. Greased backed hair, ref kit sparklig clean, razor sharp creases in his shorts etc, etc, smarter than I looked going to the Top Rank on a Saturday night.

1 hour ago, redysteadygo said:

Len was a great bloke and an excellent ref albeit a stickler for the rules.In addition his appearance was always immaculate. Greased backed hair, ref kit sparklig clean, razor sharp creases in his shorts etc, etc, smarter than I looked going to the Top Rank on a Saturday night.

Isn't it interesting, and somewhat pleasing, that Len's old-time insistence on rules being adhered to is being praised rather than ridiculed. 

Sorry, I meant to add before I pressed send that, in all the matches Len was my referee, up to Glos County League, I don't ever recall him sending a player off: mutual respect?

3 hours ago, leylandsroad said:

He sat with me at Walsall last year singing all the songs, he definitely supports city and has reffed us which is surprising 

Same here was sat next to him and his daughter at Shrewsbury last season.

12 hours ago, BCFC11 said:

Same here was sat next to him and his daughter at Shrewsbury last season.

On BT Sport they've just spoken to Howard Webb, who had a text from Kevin Friend where he conformed he was from Bristol and a City fan. Just happens to live in Leicester

Archived