IGNORED

Liverpool

glynriley

1 minute ago, 29AR said:

I'd say they've tried damn hard to buy their way to success but unlike Chelsea and Man City they've bought shite. 

Yeah and that money they have had is because they have had a long illustrious history full of trophies and success.

Again I don't follow Liverpool but are a proper club unlike the fake Man City and Chelsea. 

Currently on a flight to China and listening on the 5Live radio app..

Managed to wake up a few of the people around me when the winner went in with a pretty loud "Get the fxxk in" :whistle:

After a few tuts and some dirty looks I'm now also under observation by the stewardesses too. 

Great game. 

2 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

Yeah and that money they have had is because they have had a long illustrious history full of trophies and success.

Again I don't follow Liverpool but are a proper club unlike the fake Man City and Chelsea. 

£30m on benteke, bankrolling Soton, Firminho £30m, £20m markovic, £18m sakho, £15m Joe Allen, £20m Stewart Downing, £35m Andy Carroll. They've tried to buy success just as horribly as Man City or Chelsea. Just because they have history makes no difference; they are just playing catch up. 

I accept flippant but if Forest were to get funding you wouldn't extend to them the same argument on history. They've not even won the premier League since its inception so the history argument doesn't ring for me. 

1 minute ago, 29AR said:

£30m on benteke, bankrolling Soton, Firminho £30m, £20m markovic, £18m sakho, £15m Joe Allen, £20m Stewart Downing, £35m Andy Carroll. They've tried to buy success just as horribly as Man City or Chelsea. Just because they have history makes no difference; they are just playing catch up. 

I accept flippant but if Forest were to get funding you wouldn't extend to them the same argument on history. They've not even won the premier League since its inception so the history argument doesn't ring for me. 

Yes they have had the money but havent spent it wisely. But they will always have that money because they have always been a big club. Same goes for Arsenal and Man U.

Can't say the same for Man City and Chelsea.

2 minutes ago, BA14 RED said:

Yes they have had the money but havent spent it wisely. But they will always have that money because they have always been a big club. Same goes for Arsenal and Man U.

Can't say the same for Man City and Chelsea.

Starting to sound like Bolton's closed shop agenda. 'Big' is transient and history is created, not foretold. 

1 minute ago, 29AR said:

Starting to sound like Bolton's closed shop agenda. 'Big' is transient and history is created, not foretold.

No it isn't. Leicester have got where they are on merit not because they have had an influx of cash from a mega rich owner. The sooner clubs like Man City and Chelsea go down the pan the better as that is what is stopping smaller clubs from success.

1 minute ago, BA14 RED said:

No it isn't. Leicester have got where they are on merit not because they have had an influx of cash from a mega rich owner. The sooner clubs like Man City and Chelsea go down the pan the better as that is what is stopping smaller clubs from success.

I agree with you largely, but where I differ is I'd put Liverpool in the same bracket at Man City and Chelsea. We are, after all, talking about a club that has not won the PL since its inception; has spent enough to rival Man C and Chelsea, is foreign owned, foreign managed; majority foreign players. I really don't see the differential.

Liverpool have a rich history, sure, they have a big brand, sure, but are they justified to spending beyond their means because of the Lawrenson/Hansen era? Why in 20 years could Man City not be so justified because of the Kompany/Aguero era. 

Unfortunately it's all stems from overspending at some point; living off past glories is no differential in my mind. They are all spending and living beyond their means. Liverpool is not justified because they have won in the past, they are less justified because they haven't won in the present; just as Chelsea and Man City hadn't when they were spending. 

Leicester - belting. But Liverpool are not justified to overspend because they have past glories, just as neither would we all say Notts Forest can overspend for their past successes. 

53 minutes ago, Robbored said:

What a brilliant game of European football at Anfield. Could feel the atmosphere coming out of the TV.

5-4 to the reds having been 0-2 down after 8 mins. 

Terrific game.

Always said it.

2-0 is a dangerous score...

27 minutes ago, BCFC Jordan said:

No matter your thoughts on Liverpool, I don't think any club in England beats the support when Anfield is in full flow. Wonderful game against two clubs I respect very much. What football is all about.

Very loud at 4-3, very quiet at 0-2, much like the Gate would be.

I dont get the Anfield lovin, absolutely nothing compared to the atmosphere at Dortmund for example.

3 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

I dont get the Anfield lovin, absolutely nothing compared to the atmosphere at Dortmund for example.

Thought the crowd was good throughout. No English team comes close to the Dortmund atmosphere of course, but it's two different footballing cultures. They also have the privilege of cheaper tickets and safe standing!

2 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

He said any club in England.

Either way, that was a fantastic game and a fantastic atmosphere. The Anfield "love in" is because on a night like that it's pretty much unbeatable for atmosphere in this country - why not give credit where it's due?

25 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

He said any club in England.

Either way, that was a fantastic game and a fantastic atmosphere. The Anfield "love in" is because on a night like that it's pretty much unbeatable for atmosphere in this country - why not give credit where it's due?

If I may - and perhaps I might need my own apologetic explanation afterwards - as a neutral I get the impression the English media is paying reparations for some of their inexcusable coverage of Liverpool fans in the past. They are the club that cannot be touched, cannot be criticised, cannot be other than praised.

It does, for me at least, come to the point of grating. That atmosphere in adversity isn't that unique.  For us even (and gate wise relatively speaking) go as far back as AG v Hartlepool in the play offs or as recent as Coventry under DMc. Every club has 'those' nights (or days in the case of Cov). It is not as particular to Anfield or Liverpool FC as many in the media would have you believe.

Whilst I can give credit on the occasion, I don't that it is so unique or so particular as will be thrust down throats in the days to come. Occasionally it happens to all clubs. Let's not forget Anfield can also be rather toxic: they didn't have such amazing support for instance when Tinnion popped up with a goal. Tonight was one of their nights, unbeatable (relatively speaking) I do not buy in to. 

Nonetheless in today's sterile emvironments anything that praises fan involvement is a good thing in my book. To make out its particular or peculiar at Anfield though is a leap too far for me. 

2 hours ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2215121.html

Bottom line:  if you win the European Cup and finish outside of the qualification spots, the poor sods who finish in the last European Cup spot get shunted to the UEFA Cup, since no country can have more than 5 entrants.

To be fair, winning the CL should give you more right than a team finishing 4th. I still think it should be FA Cup winners instead of 4th place too.

5 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

Have always been a big European club unlike Chelsea and Man city who bought their way to success is what I'm getting at with a plastic fanbase. 

Liverpool probably top the list as the club supported by most people I know. Not one of them a scouser. Liverpool are well up there in terms of 'plastic' supporters.

Great comeback by them last night. Credit where it's due! 

36 minutes ago, Cunnyfunt said:

Liverpool probably top the list as the club supported by most people I know. Not one of them a scouser. Liverpool are well up there in terms of 'plastic' supporters.

Great comeback by them last night. Credit where it's due! 

6 hours ago, 29AR said:

If I may - and perhaps I might need my own apologetic explanation afterwards - as a neutral I get the impression the English media is paying reparations for some of their inexcusable coverage of Liverpool fans in the past. They are the club that cannot be touched, cannot be criticised, cannot be other than praised.

It does, for me at least, come to the point of grating. That atmosphere in adversity isn't that unique.  For us even (and gate wise relatively speaking) go as far back as AG v Hartlepool in the play offs or as recent as Coventry under DMc. Every club has 'those' nights (or days in the case of Cov). It is not as particular to Anfield or Liverpool FC as many in the media would have you believe.

Whilst I can give credit on the occasion, I don't that it is so unique or so particular as will be thrust down throats in the days to come. Occasionally it happens to all clubs. Let's not forget Anfield can also be rather toxic: they didn't have such amazing support for instance when Tinnion popped up with that goal. Tonight was one of their nights, unbeatable (relatively speaking) I do not buy in to. 

Nonetheless in today's sterile emvironments anything that praises fan involvement is a good thing in my book. To make out its particular or peculiar at Anfield though is a leap too far for me. 

I thought they were good on that occasion. They deservedly clapped our team off the pitch and were gracious and complimentary after the game.

8 hours ago, 29AR said:

Agreed

A good game no doubt, but no club's supporters are quite as guilty of coming out of the woodwork to celebrate mediocrity as Liverpool's. 

You'd think they'd won the Champions League! Along with United they really do have the most unbearable fans in the country. 

20 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

A good game no doubt, but no club's supporters are quite as guilty of coming out of the woodwork to celebrate mediocrity as Liverpool's. 

You'd think they'd won the Champions League! Along with United they really do have the most unbearable fans in the country. 

Or jealousy for the 2 most successful clubs in this country.

6 minutes ago, Super said:

Or jealousy for the 2 most successful clubs in this country.

I don't think there's much jealousy going on. I didn't hear a quarter of the kerfuffle from Man City fans as I have Liverpool fans and they achieved something reasonable this week. Liverpool fans have always been in your face "Look, aren't we amazing!" when truth be told they've just beaten a well drilled German outfit whose resources are probably a tenth of Liverpool's. I can only compare it to the gas celebrating a 2-2 draw away at Northampton. You've just had a good win, but let's not forget that it's in a competition that lacks all of the better teams from Europe. I just ask for a little perspective.

So yes, enjoy your win, but let's not play the "We're one of the two most successful clubs in this country" because by your formula, the third most successful team are probably Nottingham Forest!

2 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I don't think there's much jealousy going on. I didn't hear a quarter of the kerfuffle from Man City fans as I have Liverpool fans and they achieved something reasonable this week. Liverpool fans have always been in your face "Look, aren't we amazing!" when truth be told they've just beaten a well drilled German outfit whose resources are probably a tenth of Liverpool's. I can only compare it to the gas celebrating a 2-2 draw away at Northampton. You've just had a good win, but let's not forget that it's in a competition that lacks all of the better teams from Europe. I just ask for a little perspective.

So yes, enjoy your win, but let's not play the "We're one of the two most successful clubs in this country" because by your formula, the third most successful team are probably Nottingham Forest!

Is this Man City who couldn't even sell out the biggest European game in their history?

Archived