IGNORED

"playing for a contract"

The dastardly red

9 minutes ago, tts_city said:

Tony Dinning, enough said.

The exception. There isn't many others I can think of and certainly the opposite when you think of someone like ODonnell 

Dinning has to be an extreme example of that though. Played out of his skin when he was on loan, and by far head and shoulders above most in the league at that time. Once signed, we may as well started with 10 men. So uninterested it was unreal. 

26 minutes ago, screech said:

Of course it happens, it happens in daily life too. You change your job and are put on a probation period, you work twice as hard to try and hang on to the job.

that's horseshit in my opinion. Being a footballer is not daily life. I hate it when people say "if I didn't perform in my job then I'd get sacked" it's like a go-to phrase that eveyone nods at.

25 minutes ago, screech said:

Being a footballer is daily life, of course it's a job.

They go to work like you do, the difference is they do something you and I would love to do but were never good enough. Sorry that's a fact, they see it as their job because it is a job.

Your right.there is a a fair few that couldn't care less about football but they are good at it and get payed very well

http://metro.co.uk/2012/11/07/qpr-striker-bobby-zamora-admits-he-doesnt-really-like-football-614900/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2030885/Assou-Ekotto-I-play-football-money-else.html

A couple of examples here, two players who played at a decent level doing it for the dough. I don't know because I've never played for a living but I can imagine there are lots of footballers out there like David Bentley who probably loved playing when they were kids because it was for fun, but once it becomes your job it loses some of the appeal and you just do it because it pays well.

1 hour ago, screech said:

They go to work like you do, the difference is they do something you and I would love to do but were never good enough. Sorry that's a fact, they see it as their job because it is a job.

Do you think that footballers sit on the bench and happily watch their money come rolling in? I'm interested in this so like to hear all views. Being a footballer isn't a normal job though, as much as fans like to say it is, it's a crazy, very different world from what you live in (unless you used to be in Girls Aloud)

I wonder whether some players see the job as weekly job, and training and stuff is part of it, hence aren't as bothered by the 90 minute bit of it.  I doubt it, but do wonder, especially the goalie-lark, where you really are second choice (at least at a point in time).

Take Dave Richards....two seasons now sat on the bench and yet to make it onto the green stuff. Does he feel part of it each week, I dunno?

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I wonder whether some players see the job as weekly job, and training and stuff is part of it, hence aren't as bothered by the 90 minute bit of it.  I doubt it, but do wonder, especially the goalie-lark, where you really are second choice (at least at a point in time).

Take Dave Richards....two seasons now sat on the bench and yet to make it onto the green stuff. Does he feel part of it each week, I dunno?

Might be wrong but I think Plymouth brought on a sub keeper last season who hadn`t started a first class game in the 12 years since he turned pro or something like that.

12 minutes ago, The dastardly red said:

Do you think that footballers sit on the bench and happily watch their money come rolling in? I'm interested in this so like to hear all views. Being a footballer isn't a normal job though, as much as fans like to say it is, it's a crazy, very different world from what you live in (unless you used to be in Girls Aloud)

Yeah I can quite believe that there are footballers that will happily sit on the bench and watch the money roll in. They are just normal people at the end of the day, how many managers have you heard talking about JET for example, has all the technical ability to be a Premier League player but lacks application, he goes through the motions but knows he has the ability to get a contract somewhere. Tommy Doherty had great ability but maybe enjoyed the social life, possibly David Noble too.

31 minutes ago, screech said:

Yeah I can quite believe that there are footballers that will happily sit on the bench and watch the money roll in. They are just normal people at the end of the day, how many managers have you heard talking about JET for example, has all the technical ability to be a Premier League player but lacks application, he goes through the motions but knows he has the ability to get a contract somewhere. Tommy Doherty had great ability but maybe enjoyed the social life, possibly David Noble too.

ok, cheers. I still don't agree with you but thanks for the post mate. I reckon most football reaction is tabloid and a lot is just resaying the same things over again because it's comfortable and will always get a thumbs up

3 hours ago, screech said:

22 minutes ago, The dastardly red said:

ok, cheers. I still don't agree with you but thanks for the post mate. I reckon most football reaction is tabloid and a lot is just resaying the same things over again because it's comfortable and will always get a thumbs up

I knew (but didn't like) a footballer who didn't particularly like football, he did it because it paid well , and this was in the 80's before money went crazy. If you go to work , and lets say your teams struggling or you don't like the manager, whatever. You can put in effort but only be at 70-80% . Move on until the end of your contract and you begin to worry about your next pay day then you try 15-20% harder , it happens. Not nice to think that as a fan, but it does.

29 minutes ago, The dastardly red said:

Winston Bogarde was happy to sit and take the money, he didn't make a single Premier league appearance in his last 3 years at Chelsea and wouldn't move to anywhere else because they didn't pay as much.

Archived