IGNORED

City's Promotion To Top Flight - 40th Aniiversary Program

Curr Avon

I was only two years old when City beat Portsmouth that night, so I would have been sound asleep in bed during the post-match celebrations. Much to my regret I never saw City play during those top-flight years - my first game was when we were back in Div 2 and on our way towards relegation again.

9 hours ago, Southstandoriginal said:

Standing on the pitch in front of the directors box chanting Harry Dolman's name and singing our own songs. Quite a contrast to the way celebrations are stage managed by the club now (stay off the pitch and sing along with this music that we are going to play you).

Couldn't agree more, a massive anti climax last year.

In '76 we ran on the pitch via the open corner of the EE on the Tuesday and the Saturday and the celebrations were unforgettable both times.

Last year the players were plonked out the way in front of a half built end with no fans in it and we could barely see them. I actually hate the contrived celebrations of players bouncing on platforms, streamers, tannoy man's choice of loud music etc. 

Would have been a great send off for The Williams Stand to keep to tradition and have the players taking the plaudits in the Director's Box and the fans chanting and swaying on the pitch.

Looks like a precedent has been set now and all future celebrations will be stage managed. Problem is you can't stage manage these rare moments of euphoria, the whole thing just becomes a damp squib.

9 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Must admit I found it a bit of a disappointing end to a fabulous season and caught myself think a couple of times `how much longer is this going on for?`.

We`ll never see the like of what happened after the Rotherham game again I fear.

I'm not sure that is true, last season's celebrations felt different as we had things effectively wrapped up so early on. It was the same with getting to Wembley for the JPT, most games were a formality, we simply steamrolled the division.

on a side note, I wonder what % of the City crowd remember the first division days now? It must be considerably less than 50%. And what % recall the last title winning team before last season's, John Cleese and only about 5% I would hazard a guess.

• The title was changed to City's Promotion To Top Flight - 40th Aniiversary Program
4 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

I'm not sure that is true, last season's celebrations felt different as we had things effectively wrapped up so early on. It was the same with getting to Wembley for the JPT, most games were a formality, we simply steamrolled the division.

on a side note, I wonder what % of the City crowd remember the first division days now? It must be considerably less than 50%. And what % recall the last title winning team before last season's, John Cleese and only about 5% I would hazard a guess.

I hope you`re right, nothing compares to times like Rotherham and last season just didn`t feel `right` if you know what I mean.

One of the 50% but not one of the 5 BTW!

5 hours ago, sglosbcfc said:

There was survey conducted a few years ago, possibly by the FSF, that revealed the majority of fans at Football League and Premier League clubs were white, male and over the age of 45. So the figure recalling the First Division tenure; 1976-1980, may be higher than 50%.

Returning to pitch celebrations, if last season's promotion had happened at Ashton Gate, instead of Valley Parade I'm sure we'd have seen an outpouring similar to Rotherham in 2007.

Archived