IGNORED

City's Promotion To Top Flight - 40th Aniiversary Program

Curr Avon

Tonight's 'Sound of the City' programme on BBC Radio Bristol; http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03pz9jx will feature memories of our fabulous promotion to the old Division 1, on a balmy night in April 1976.

I understand that Clive Whitehead is Geoff's special guest and there may be contributions from Geoff Merrick and big Cheese, as well as some fans.

Sadly, my memories of that night are a little hazy as I was 8 at the time. I can recall waving a 'Bristol City Division 1, Here We Come!' flag and sporting a silky scarf, from the front row, block F of the Dolman.

What about you lot?

1 hour ago, Curr Avon said:

Tonight's 'Sound of the City' programme on BBC Radio Bristol; http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p03pz9jx will feature memories of our fabulous promotion to the old Division 1, on a balmy night in April 1976.

I understand that Clive Whitehead is Geoff's special guest and there may be contributions from Geoff Merrick and big Cheese, as well as some fans.

Sadly, my memories of that night are a little hazy as I was 8 at the time. I can recall waving a 'Bristol City Division 1, Here We Come!' flag and sporting a silky scarf, from the front row, block F of the Dolman.

What about you lot?

Is it on at 6?

i remember this like it was yesterday. I was in the open end, Clive  Whitehead scored in the 4th minute then it was a nervous 86 mins before we could celebrate. There was one more home game to come, against Notts County. They clapped us onto the pitch and then beat us 2.1. It didn't matter though.

Happy Days!!!!

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

I'm celebrating my birthday today and now , thanks to you , I feel very , very old . 

Judging by your picture, you are ;) many happy's

I was 16, in the EE and I remember clambering over that concrete bit in the corner to get on the pitch. Mum and Dad were down the pub so went round to tell them when I got home, Dad bought me a flaggon of cider to celebrate :city:

I was 9 at the time. I still have a vivid memory of walking to the ground with my Dad that evening full of anticipation. I remember it being a warm evening but that may be my memory playing tricks. Sat in the Dolman. A great night. Very tense at the end. I remember the crowd right up against the touch line.

I also remember the Notts County match just after too when we lost 2-1 (mainly because unusually I went with my Uncle as my Dad was - I think - playing cricket!)

Great listening to Clive, what a good player he was and of course Geoff Merrick and Cheese, Those were the days, I was 30 then and never missed a home game, usually stood in the enclosure with my mates.  They said that they and altogether 10 of the players from those great days, will be at tomorrows game.

Archived