IGNORED

If ever

13 hours ago, Numero Uno said:

We got beat by a good side last night and the inadequacies of individual players is magnified playing against opposition like that. Their two central midfield players worked their knackers off and controlled the game, very impressed with them. Martin is a very good hold up player...would love someone like him up top for us. Ince has got quality. Their main weakness is defensively, you can get at them and with minimal possession we did at times.

Smith was as poor as I have seen him, Pack is not up to it if you are looking to finish top half and challenging for a play off spot. Tomlin tried to do too much. Reid had good moments but has to do a bit more next season. Bryan is suffering from too many positional changes, centre mid one week, left wing two weeks later, left back the next week etc. Kodjia is still work in progress. As for Freeman, that was an embarrassing performance and he is totally devoid of confidence.

On the positive side, the goal apart, Matthews coped with Ince fairly well, the two centre halves did alright given the shambles of a midfield in front of them, Kodjia was a threat and there is definitely a player waiting to burst out in Reid.

I think LJ has enough nous to see that reinforcements are needed, it's not his fault the club appointed him too late to make a real impact in the last window and completely messed up the previous one.

But as I said, Derby are a good side and there is no point getting carried away when we get done by a side clearly better than us.

Couldn't agree more with you, a well balanced view and someone who understands what they are watching on the pitch and how to appraise current situation 

On 20 April 2016 at 11:44, Olé said:

Right summary wrong conclusion. The frailties you list are all true, but to call it "midfield" is a stretch and to single out Reid and Pack the wrong conclusion.

Reid is getting better with every game. The problem for me was Tomlin was off his game, and he has been integral to our play since LJ took over - Kodjia makes the runs but it is Tomlin who is the outlet player who establishes our possession in the opposing half and gives teammates more time with simply a smart turn or incisive touch or back heel. Notice the difference in goals from midfield before and after Tomlin joined this season, something like 1 v 5. Last night he didn't get into the game, his touches went astray, and so we never created room for midfield to push on and establish itself, so conceded a lot of ground and possession.

In addition, as you rightly say Joe Bryan had a mare - in fact both full backs were poor - both giving the ball away too cheaply and failing to cut out the cross. It may be that this was a reflection of the amount of pressure they were under due to failing to establish any rhythm or time as an attacking team, as above. Taken together it matches your assessment but I don't know how you conclude this is the midfield itself, which by no means was great, but certainly wasn't as poor as Tomlin or Bryan were. Yes Freeman was poor, but he knew it himself, and in recent games I for one have seen evidence of him working on his weaknesses.

Anyway, that's my view, which is easier to form with a proper view of the pitch, although it does make me one of the c**ts not singing over there ;)

Reid set the bar in the Sheffield Weds game a bar he fell way below against Derby, yes he is improving but 1 very good game in 4 is not good enough and if Tomlin is an option I don't think Reid and Pack in midfield will be good enough by a long way.

I believe starting the game with Kodjia up front on his own was a mistake as well, but hey ho hopefully a far more productive summer is in the offing.

On 20 April 2016 at 12:23, nathredwood said:

Bobby Reid and Marlon Pack had good games.

Pack was solid again like he has been for the last few weeks. Yes he made a couple bad passes but no more than any one else in a red shirt.

Bobby looked busy and looked like Smith of last year at times, hassling the opposition and chasing down the ball.

Korey Smith continued his poor run of form and looks half the player he was before his injury.

Luke Freeman should probably go in the summer. Poor all year with the odd flash. If you watch Tomlin's movement when we have the ball and compare it to Freeman you can see that he just doesn't have the knowledge. At one point Pack had the ball 10 yards from him and he turned his back and ran away!

Central Midfield for next year Reid, Pack and Smith with a decent signing to add to it. Build around Pack!

Well we will see, I predict struggle with your scenario, to unproductive for me.

Archived