IGNORED

Agent Fees

Bs4Red

Just off the top of my head we've had 14 signings this year which translates to just over 25k a signing - apart from Rotherham I don't think many other clubs will have had that number of signings this year.  

52 minutes ago, mcbcfc said:

Just off the top of my head we've had 14 signings this year which translates to just over 25k a signing - apart from Rotherham I don't think many other clubs will have had that number of signings this year.  

Yeah I don't think it's too much of an issue to be honest. Any multimillion pound business has recruitment costs, and any highly paid professional contractor has representation - it's business 

4 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Look at the time period its for. The £371k is for just 4 transfers: Golbourne, Tomlin, Pearce & O'Donnell.

Nope. Don't forget deals for Gladwin, Bennett and Garita.

Also, it only says that time period is when payments were made, not necessarily when deals were done. Could well be inclusive of ongoing payments for Baker, or installments following the Kodjia deal. Possibly even delayed payments from the Robinson and Fredericks fiascos. May even include expenses (sweeteners) to agents for sending players out, so could be looking at the El-Abd deal.

Odemwinge, Matthews and Burns deals do fall outside the time period though.

My guess would be the premier league loan deals will command hefty agents fees...so, Baker, Tomlin, Bennett will account for hefty amounts of the total sum.

1 hour ago, headhunter said:

No. 5 out of 24 suggests to me we are paying more than we should be.

Naivety by those doling the negotiations? Maybe we can look forward to more robust dealings from the club's perspective under Mr.Ashton et al?

Also , we were in a very weak position. Desperately short of players and needing quality as well as quantity, the club could be held to ransom if they were really determined to stay up.

1 hour ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Yeah I don't think it's too much of an issue to be honest. Any multimillion pound business has recruitment costs, and any highly paid professional contractor has representation - it's business 

That would be Spud's view certainly. Am still waiting for him to come on this thread and tell us what a great job agents do!

My view is that they are vampire-leeches sucking the lifeblood from clubs, pushing costs sky high and responsible in part for pricing football beyond the reach of millions of ordinary people, which in turn has spawned a generation of plastic Prem fans who have only ever watched the game on telly. 

To my mind, they are - like estate agents and car salesmen - completely unnecessary. 

Incidentally,  I'm a relatively highly paid professional contractor and I negotiate my own contracts and set my own rates. As does everyone else in the industry I work in.

26 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

That would be Spud's view certainly. Am still waiting for him to come on this thread and tell us what a great job agents do!

My view is that they are vampire-leeches sucking the lifeblood from clubs, pushing costs sky high and responsible in part for pricing football beyond the reach of millions of ordinary people, which in turn has spawned a generation of plastic Prem fans who have only ever watched the game on telly. 

To my mind, they are - like estate agents and car salesmen - completely unnecessary. 

Incidentally,  I'm a relatively highly paid professional contractor and I negotiate my own contracts and set my own rates. As does everyone else in the industry I work in.

Not at all RR...I think the whole situation with Agents needs to be addressed.

Just because I know Agents, it doesn't mean I agree with everything they do.

Of course they have a place in football...as Contracts with footballers are so complicated these days.

The majority of footballers wouldn't have a clue where to start...and trust me, Football clubs would try to screw every penny they could out of a player.

So it cuts both ways.

However...Football is big business now, it's become a necessary evil...Clubs are just as bad as Agents for sharking.

From what I've observed there is still an old boys type ethic at a lot of clubs...you scratch my back and i'll scratch yours. At least these fees are going through the books.

Agents get it in the neck...but there are far worse out there...hence why so many 'Interesting' people own football clubs.

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

Not at all RR...I think the whole situation with Agents needs to be addressed.

Just because I know Agents, it doesn't mean I agree with everything they do.

Of course they have a place in football...as Contracts with footballers are so complicated these days.

The majority of footballers wouldn't have a clue where to start...and trust me, Football clubs would try to screw every penny they could out of a player.

So it cuts both ways.

However...Football is big business now, it's become a necessary evil...Clubs are just as bad as Agents for sharking.

From what I've observed there is still an old boys type ethic at a lot of clubs...you scratch my back and i'll scratch yours. At least these fees are going through the books.

Agents get it in the neck...but there are far worse out there...hence why so many 'Interesting' people own football clubs.

Any player with a single brain cell should appoint a law firm instead of a agent with ½ a brain cell. The contracts are total nuts. 

2 hours ago, Ian M said:

Look at the time period its for. The £371k is for just 4 transfers: Golbourne, Tomlin, Pearce & O'Donnell.

The deals covered are:-

08/10/15 Elliott Bennett 
09/10/15 Simon Cox
12/10/15 Lloyd Kelly
07/01/16 Paul Garita 
11/01/16 Richard O'Donnell
19/01/16 Alex Pearce 
21/01/16 Benjamin Gladwin 
27/01/16 Lee Tomlin 
28/01/16 Scott Golbourne 
29/01/16 Aden Baldwin 
01/02/16 Richard O'Donnell

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Out of interest how do you/would you go about buying or selling what I imagine for many would be their most valuable asset - their home?

Not that I'm an estate agent mind you. Just mildly interested.

42 minutes ago, bristolcitysweden said:

Any player with a single brain cell should appoint a law firm instead of a agent with ½ a brain cell. The contracts are total nuts. 

A legal advisor might well get them a secure contract, bit you wouldn't expect a legal professional to negotiate the terms of a transfer, undertake additional marketing opportunities for players or assist clubs trying to move players on.

Someone with better mental arithmetic will correct me, but whilst we are high on the highest spenders seems to me we would be bang average median wise. Unwise to how payments are recognised, could these include staged payments to agents which I am aware takes place (ie payments in respect of a deal last year which was deferred)?  

12 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Someone with better mental arithmetic will correct me, but whilst we are high on the highest spenders seems to me we would be bang average median wise. Unwise to how payments are recognised, could these include staged payments to agents which I am aware takes place (ie payments in respect of a deal last year which was deferred)?  

Yes. These are payments made in the period. They may have been contracted earlier.

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

If I was a professional footballer with let's be honest minimal education I would instruct a professions to negotiate what might be a million pound contract. Every big business will use agents for their staffing

I work for manpower we do it every day. It's our job to put professionals in front of employers, the cost of that service is arguable but common place. 

4 hours ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Out of interest how do you/would you go about buying or selling what I imagine for many would be their most valuable asset - their home?

Not that I'm an estate agent mind you. Just mildly interested.

Er, after my divorce we sold the family home without any recourse to estate agents. Saved us at least four grand. 

I also undertook moat of the conveyancing in the sale the current Mrs Robbo undertook. Saved us at least a grand. I had to pay some clown £85 to witness the transaction,  biut the vast majority is easier than the legal profession will let on.

3 hours ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

If I was a professional footballer with let's be honest minimal education I would instruct a professions to negotiate what might be a million pound contract. Every big business will use agents for their staffing

I work for manpower we do it every day. It's our job to put professionals in front of employers, the cost of that service is arguable but common place. 

That's true Wolf, but the dark ages of "thick" footballers unable to comprehend basic contracts is in the past. 

Young guys who sign for clubs these days get an expensive private education thrown int. Let's face it clubs have to, as modern parents wouldn't accept their teens signing up to the uncertain future of professional sport without a fall-back position. 

Our academy guys go to Clifton College and virtually all tale A levels.

Archived