IGNORED

30th April

man in the middle

Celebration`s not the right word IMO but what we do have to do is to say huge thanks to the players who have never given anything less than all they`ve got for us this season. Despite how desperate things got at times they never gave up and I don`t think there`s been one game where we haven`t fought for everything. If we had gone down, it wouldn`t have been due to a lack of fight.

I can live with my team not being good enough but I can`t accept lack of effort and that has not been the case this season.

Compare our lads to the gutless wasters at Bolton or Villa.

5 minutes ago, The Journalist said:

If we all celebrated getting to the second tier of English football, why shouldn't we celebrate staying here? The latter, in theory, is a more difficult task.

That's a genuine question...

A good season for me was finishing 4th from bottom, we can still finish higher than that.

Winning 6-0 and 4-1 in recent weeks are cause for optomism.

I see no reason whatsoever not to celebrate another season in a very exciting and competitive league - plenty of teams in L1 would love to be where we are.

3 minutes ago, Xiled said:

A good season for me was finishing 4th from bottom, we can still finish higher than that.

Winning 6-0 and 4-1 in recent weeks are cause for optomism.

I see no reason whatsoever not to celebrate another season in a very exciting and competitive league - plenty of teams in L1 would love to be where we are.

And there`s one in League 2 that would have achieved their life`s ambition if they were.

2 hours ago, Port Said Red said:

At the start of the season many thought a successful season was one without relegation. We have done that so I feel we can at least relax if not celebrate a little 

We blew a massive chance on the back of last season, we had momentum and had we got it right in the summer every chance we could of made a big push this season. Hopefully lessons have been learnt and we don't make the same mistakes again. Still doesn't change the fact it's been a dire season.

11 hours ago, Super said:

We blew a massive chance on the back of last season, we had momentum and had we got it right in the summer every chance we could of made a big push this season. Hopefully lessons have been learnt and we don't make the same mistakes again. Still doesn't change the fact it's been a dire season.

I don't think the players can be blamed for what happened behind the scenes, so I will be celebrating what this very small squad of players. who are largely untried at this level. have done.

Personally I'm thinking of boycotting the game next week. Then I'll sit on the chair at home crying all day with my head in my hands, not to mention being horrible to the missus. I might come on here and bitch and moan like a toddler all afternoon whilst the game is on.

If I do go I'm thinking of chucking a couple of thousand beach balls onto the pitch and delaying the game for ten minutes. That'll show 'em. Because at the end of the day our players are just overpaid scum who don't put the effort in at all, aren't playing anywhere near the limit of their ability and haven't done quite well to snatch survival from the jaws of relegation over the last 16 games..............aren't they?

I mean, who goes to football to enjoy themselves anyway? Player hate, don't celebrate..........that's my new motto.

Go through this forum and there's some miserable sods supporting this club who you wouldn't want in the trenches with you when the going gets tough !!!!!

I've seen plenty of dire seasons supporting City, I'm not sure this one falls in to that category.

Even under Cotterill I thought that at times, we played some very good football (many an opposition manager seemed to praise us, mention our false position) but we were undone by naivety, stubborness to stick with the 3-5-2 and an unwillingness to utilise our fringe players who I think we will all now agree, did have something to offer even if it was just allowing others to rest.

We've seen some terrific away wins including Boro, Fulham, Forest. I only went to Forest and we were superb in the second half but holding out at Boro and Tomlins winner at Fulham must have been an unbelievable feeling. The last minute winner against Boro at home was also fantastic.  

We've taken a few hidings from the top teams in the league with a far bigger budget - but since LJ arrived we've also dished out a couple too.

Considering the shambolic summer, we've done well to survive and whilst at times it's been frustrating and we've certainly had more than a couple off days, I've seen many a worse City team than this and many a worse season than this. 

6 minutes ago, Kibs said:

I've seen plenty of dire seasons supporting City, I'm not sure this one falls in to that category.

Even under Cotterill I thought that at times, we played some very good football (many an opposition manager seemed to praise us, mention our false position) but we were undone by naivety, stubborness to stick with the 3-5-2 and an unwillingness to utilise our fringe players who I think we will all now agree, did have something to offer even if it was just allowing others to rest.

We've seen some terrific away wins including Boro, Fulham, Forest. I only went to Forest and we were superb in the second half but holding out at Boro and Tomlins winner at Fulham must have been an unbelievable feeling. The last minute winner against Boro at home was also fantastic.  

We've taken a few hidings from the top teams in the league with a far bigger budget - but since LJ arrived we've also dished out a couple too.

Considering the shambolic summer, we've done well to survive and whilst at times it's been frustrating and we've certainly had more than a couple off days, I've seen many a worse City team than this and many a worse season than this. 

Pretty nicely summed up mate. There have undoubtedly been days this season when we`ve thought it really couldn`t get any worse but looking back not as many as it seemed at the time.

The main thing for me is that the players have fought for everything in every game even when we`ve clearly been up against far superior opposition. They`ve never given up and always done their best for us and that is the big positive I will take away from this disappointing season. Great bunch of lads we have here currently, long may it continue.

18 minutes ago, Kibs said:

Not saying there haven't been some good performances, but a lot of games have been poor, Fulham, Reading, Preston, Blackburn Cardiff Derby all off the top of my head were all terrible performances. We have played well at times but we desperately need more quality. we have a great bunch of players you are right who always give a 100%.

If this was "dire", what would you call it had we been relegated?

It's been a struggle at times but I certainly wouldn't call it dire. At no point during the season were we consistently poor, even during Cotterill's tenure. Even during the first half of the season, there were some decent performances that weren't rewarded. Cardiff away immediately springs to mind. Since Christmas, we've won a number of games handsomely and our form has been top 10.

A long way from perfect, but certainly not dire.

41 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

If this was "dire", what would you call it had we been relegated?

It's been a struggle at times but I certainly wouldn't call it dire. At no point during the season were we consistently poor, even during Cotterill's tenure. Even during the first half of the season, there were some decent performances that weren't rewarded. Cardiff away immediately springs to mind. Since Christmas, we've won a number of games handsomely and our form has been top 10.

A long way from perfect, but certainly not dire.

Cardiff away was almost typical of the first half of the season.  We were excellent that night, only failed to secure 3 points because of the best keeper in the league, David Marshall (closely followed by the Ipswich keeper whose name I'm not gonna try to spell)....and yet none of us would've been surprised to see Sammy Ameobi side foot home in the last minute to send us to defeat.  Sinilar type of gameagainst Reading (away), where they did score.  Admittedly, first half hour wasn't very good.

I look back against the games v:

Burnley (home) - decent as they were, we were undone by two set pieces, on general play they were no better than us, even with Gray

Preston (home) - the worst game of the season for me, but no way we're we the side that deserved to lose.

Believe it or not, I didn't think we were that bad against Fulham but found ourselves 3 down after 30 minutes.

Glad we are safe with games to go.

Lets go out and beat Huddersfield and QPR.

Archived