IGNORED

Job interview Presentation

ciderbeans

Hi Guys,

I have a job interview presentation coming up and I need to base it on something I am passionate about. The obvious topic is Bristol City FC but I was wondering if some on here could assist by sending me some images for a PowerPoint presentation that show passion I.E. The image of the packed stadium when promoted under GJ.

Sub categories I will be talking about are:

the Bristol City Brand

the match day experience

the fans

the competition

and finally the potential.

any help or advise would be much apreciated. Written content I have covered as that comes from the heart. However, if anyone wanted to make a few suggestions, fire away!

TIA,

CiderBeans

9 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

PowerPoint you say? 

That would be a fall at the first hurdle. Second only to punching the interviewer in the face or turning up at the interview with no trousers on.

What's wrong with turning up to interviews with no trousers?

I've been to thousands of interviews like that.

10 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

PowerPoint you say? 

That would be a fall at the first hurdle. Second only to punching the interviewer in the face or turning up at the interview with no trousers on.

It's fine as long as you  make sure that every single piece of text 'swoops' in from either side of the screen, preferably making a sound like a fighter jet

(Actually, it's a very useful presentation tool so long as it isn't used by a teenage boy with ADHD) 

12 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

PowerPoint you say? 

What's wrong with PowerPoint? Is it not still the go-to format for on screen presentations? 

Whatever you do don't make a powerpoint and then read what it say's on the screen!

Keep it simple and then use notes to expand.

Having something read to you that you read yourself a split second earlier is like listening to O'Driscoll telling you about his system....

6 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Just about everything....you need to express through words, otherwise you might just send them a DVD ....and wait. 

PowerPoint is simply the tool for preparing the content. If used properly it's the perfect tool for the job. 

If you're the sort who is inclined to put 'swish' animations on every line of text and read word for word off the slides, it really doesn't matter what tool you use, the presentation will still be shit! 

5 minutes ago, nathredwood said:

Whatever you do don't make a powerpoint and then read what it say's on the screen!

Keep it simple and then use notes to expand.

Having something read to you that you read yourself a split second earlier is like listening to O'Driscoll telling you about his system....

This is pretty important. One very experienced presenter I know has a rule for PowerPoint. If you have to do it,  words are banned. Pictures, diagrams etc only, words are all spoken and maybe on a handout. 

My suggestion: Don't do it on Bristol City.  Some prats look down on football supporters big time so they might have it in for you before you even start.

Pick something more mundane like fishing, walking etc.

(Of course this all depends on what the job is!)

Good luck.

No doubt the genius who came up with the 'edgy' marketing idea used PowerPoint to convince the board that hashtags would go down a storm printed on our new kit.

They completely missed WTF he was proposing due to concussion by slides...

Thank you PowerPoint.

15 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Tell them what you are going to tell them.
Tell them it.
Tell them what you just told them.
Wake up the audience for final questions.

Exactly - people remember what they've been told first and what they've been told last, so make the beginning and end punchy (not literally). Make sure you look at the interviewers and not just read words from the screen. 

image.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Nibor said:

This is pretty important. One very experienced presenter I know has a rule for PowerPoint. If you have to do it,  words are banned. Pictures, diagrams etc only, words are all spoken and maybe on a handout. 

That's the only good way to do it. Your slides are purely a bookmark of where you are in your presentation.

Tbh I agree with Collis.

Ideally do something related to the job, if not then something like sports you actually do, any hobbies you have that involve doing something rather than just sitting down and watching.

If I was interviewing and somebody turned up and did a presentation on how great Man Utd were or how many rap records they had and which were their favourite I can tell you now that they would not get the job.

While I'm doling out advice: slow it down when you present, it comes across much better. 

23 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Tbh I agree with Collis.

Ideally do something related to the job, if not then something like sports you actually do, any hobbies you have that involve doing something rather than just sitting down and watching.

If I was interviewing and somebody turned up and did a presentation on how great Man Utd were or how many rap records they had and which were their favourite I can tell you now that they would not get the job.

While I'm doling out advice: slow it down when you present, it comes across much better. 

Good advice.  As a follow-on, if you end up sounding like Ian McDonald, you have gone too far.

40 minutes ago, Collis1 said:

My suggestion: Don't do it on Bristol City.  Some prats look down on football supporters big time so they might have it in for you before you even start.

Pick something more mundane like fishing, walking etc.

(Of course this all depends on what the job is!)

Good luck.

Bristol City's new Media Director....

17 minutes ago, ciderbeans said:

I get doing it on a football team may be controversial but it is something I am genuinely passionate about. This, along with general presentation skills are what they are looking to see as it is for a sales job

If it's for a sales job I would call it "Why you should support Bristol City". Sell the club to them.

Then when finished re-title it "Why you should join Bristol City" and send it to Mark Ashton and LJ to present to potential transfer targets.

The idea was to explain why I am passionate about the club and sell it to them. The interview is on Friday so I have a few days to produce the PowerPoint. Having gone through uni, I understand how to format them, it's just getting the right images, colours, content to match the 'sales pitch'

Agree with others, do it on a topic that might intrigue. Everyone knows about football, it's everywhere. You'll throw too many opinions in also rather than facts. For example... the potential, that's an opinion already.

3 hours ago, ciderbeans said:

The idea was to explain why I am passionate about the club and sell it to them. The interview is on Friday so I have a few days to produce the PowerPoint. Having gone through uni, I understand how to format them, it's just getting the right images, colours, content to match the 'sales pitch'

Do not use a white background. Something soft and subtle, easy on the eye. How about a hyperlink in the introductory slide, leading to a cropped YouTube video of a great City moment?

At the end, pause and look around the room. Look for passion, desire and belief....

As mentioned, the emphasis of a slide should compliment what you're saying. If words are used, only have them as a prompt for potential discussion, using only short sentences. 

And also kinda mentioned, don't use a lot of slides. One slide can be a prompt for a few minutes or so, depending on the talking point. Be conscious of your time and practice it to those at home. See if anyone raises any questions, it will 'better prepare' you.

Becoming a sales person, making a clear point can be the difference.

Good luck and stay away from drugs.

• Admin

For a recent course I had to present on a community event I had been involved with for 15 minutes to the rest of the class. I turned up the night before the course started to see everyone showing off their presentations. Me being a last minute kind a guy just picked a theme, and created 6 slides with just a title and a photo on each. I then just spoke a bit about what each photo represented and what I did to get to that stage. I was singled out for having the best presentation as it didn't require reading.

One tip I haven't seen yet is if presenting to a group of people ensure you give lots of eye contact to everyone in the group and if any of them are nodding along to what you are saying, spend less time on them as you have already won them over. 

3 hours ago, ciderbeans said:

Why don't you theme the presentation to do a 'mock pitch' to them something commercially, for example trying to sell them advertising. Do some research about advertising revenue and reach at Ashton Gate. Wow them with your passion for BCFC, it's DNA (snigger) and make it sales/business related and relevant.

Archived