IGNORED

City Foundation Night

sglosbcfc

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

You must take account of the Under 21's who may be ready to step up for the odd game or two. McCoulskey, Garita, Kelly, Vyner, Morrell and even Dowling.

Have too big a squad and that would block any under 21's. Also more than 18/19 first team squad will leave some without any game time and can turn some fringe members into very unhappy bunnies.

It's a hard balance to get right, but realistically are any of those players really going to be pushing for a place in a championship squad any time soon? It's taken Wes and Bobby many seasons of loans and infrequent cameos to get to that place, and even now Wes is still out on loan.

IMO the small squad this season very nearly saw us get relegated. We were very lucky last year to stay relatively injury free.

This year we've seen us consistently have no option but to put a square leg in a round hole because we simply haven't had enough first team players. There have been positions on the pitch where we literally have no competition and that's not a good place to be in. You want to be using the youngsters because they're good enough and challenging the senior players, not because you've left yourself with no option. 

11 minutes ago, Selred said:

This post is sponsored by Bristol Sport.

No far from it. Believe me I am the first to criticise, but on the flip side I do think that if something is done right, or if someone has done something above and beyond what I'd expected, it is only fair that positive response is given too.

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

No far from it. Believe me I am the first to criticise, but on the flip side I do think that if something is done right, or if someone has done something above and beyond what I'd expected, it is only fair that positive response is given too.

Just jesting. Totally agree, the club really has come on leaps and bounds this year, especially in regards to facilities and service. 

27 minutes ago, Selred said:

Just jesting. Totally agree, the club really has come on leaps and bounds this year, especially in regards to facilities and service. 

I wasn't sure if you were or not, in that case I'll climb down and take my 'whoosh'.

I have a real OCD type reaction when it comes to fairness ( and I don't mean on the basis of sex, race or gender) I mean praise for everyone when something is done well, and likewise if you do something wrong then you stand up, admit it, apologise and learn from it. Don't pass the blame.

30 minutes ago, RedM said:

Like you I'm always ready to criticise when the club mess up but also like you I reckon the club has come on leaps and bonds in the last ew months. 

At long last SL now has professional football people in senior positions. Mr Charisma has certainly made a significant difference and it as his decision to recruit LJ - who has impressed me so far. I'm looking forward to next season already.

For the first, possibly ever I feel the club is moving forward.

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Was this the evening they drew out the big winner?

Yes, but in my opinion it was a bit of an odd way to do it. Certainly worked better when done on the pitch, also didn't all the people get a few quid when it was done that way, can't remember. This time it was winner takes all. We were told a lot of clubs use this system ( basically 12 people get picked, then each person gets allotted a number. The players then stand around on the training ground and kick a ball into a 'bucket/tube, pot' the player who kicks the first ball in wins for you), think I got that right as I wasn't paying much attention as I wasn't in the draw, infact none of the 12 chosen were at the event at all.  The video will be playing in the concourse tomorrow apparently. 

4 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

The fact that he's talking about 6 coming in is worrying. For me it's more like 10 needed - don't we have 4 loanees? Once they all go if we recruit 6 our squad has increased by 2, and that's if no one leaves.

Lack of depth to the squad has really cost us this season, I'd hope we wouldn't try and operate with such light numbers again. 

I agree that while 6 new players sound like a lot, it won't really be enough when you count the bodies compared to teams that are in the top 6 at the moment (Sheffield Wednesday, Derby, Middlesborough, Burnley & Hull) who all seem to have enough size & quality to replace any player with another from their squad.

But the promising thing for me that is mentioned earlier in the thread is that 3 of the U21's have been training with the senior squad all season & I'd hope that they may have an eye on first team football in the 16/17 season.

Does this mean we are finally seeing the academy coming to fruition? I hope so & it would be brilliant for the club to finally have a conveyor belt of academy graduates coming through the club, for the reasons that it will give other youngsters the belief that the first team is attainable, give the supporters that feeling that we are supporting "one of our own" & in the long term we could start to see the financial benefits of the academy!! Both in terms of cutting down the amount we spend on incoming players & the possible sell-on value, should these players prove to be a success.

And this is something that has been long overdue from within Bristol City Football Club!!

On 28 April 2016 at 14:19, RedM said:

Yes, but in my opinion it was a bit of an odd way to do it. Certainly worked better when done on the pitch, also didn't all the people get a few quid when it was done that way, can't remember. This time it was winner takes all. We were told a lot of clubs use this system ( basically 12 people get picked, then each person gets allotted a number. The players then stand around on the training ground and kick a ball into a 'bucket/tube, pot' the player who kicks the first ball in wins for you), think I got that right as I wasn't paying much attention as I wasn't in the draw, infact none of the 12 chosen were at the event at all.  The video will be playing in the concourse tomorrow apparently. 

Yes as I posted earlier it was bizarre to build the tension of the draw and then inform the crowd that none of them present were in the final draw with a chance of winning the big prize. Talk about a damp squib.

Archived