IGNORED

Temple Meads Buses & Pre Match Drinks

RedRock

A couple of us are making our annual Stella Express trip up from Devon on Saturday. 

Idea was to get well lubricated for Flag Day and a crucial relegation 6 pointer. Fail.  

Last year we couldn't find the buses - either through drink or there non-existence - so legged it, stopping at an 'offie' en-route, then realised after 20 minutes we weren't going to make it so flagged down a taxi. This year, to avoid a near heart attack and unnecessary loss of Stella money, a couple of questions. Do the buses exist? If so, where are they parked, are there big queues and how long does it take to get from AG to TM? 

While I'm on, is there any 'event' at the 3 Lions or any other pub in the locality I can take my Man U supporting son-in-law (who oddly does go to Old Trafford and comes from a Man U family), who, after a couple of past flag days and the trip to Fulham is seeing the light and turning into a City fan. Failing an 'event, what's the best City pub for pre-match drinks on the final home game of the season? Obviously, will be conducting a tour of the ground's bars sometime pre-match and half -time.

Really do need to keep 'selling' him the Club - which Flag Day made easy ( lesson for you BCFC Commercial Dept) - in order to fully convert him. 

Thanks.

No flag day this season but I'm sure it will be busy in the Lions for the last day of the season.

If going to the Lions from Temple Meads  walk to Redcliffe Hill and catch the 75 or 76 , if going straight to Ashton Gate get the 24 from the same bus stop, these buses should run every 10 mins.

There are buses laid on from TM but I'm not sure of the time table , I think these buses are run bu Abus.

58 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

A couple of us are making our annual Stella Express trip up from Devon on Saturday. 

Idea was to get well lubricated for Flag Day and a crucial relegation 6 pointer. Fail.  

Last year we couldn't find the buses - either through drink or there non-existence - so legged it, stopping at an 'offie' en-route, then realised after 20 minutes we weren't going to make it so flagged down a taxi. This year, to avoid a near heart attack and unnecessary loss of Stella money, a couple of questions. Do the buses exist? If so, where are they parked, are there big queues and how long does it take to get from AG to TM? 

While I'm on, is there any 'event' at the 3 Lions or any other pub in the locality I can take my Man U supporting son-in-law (who oddly does go to Old Trafford and comes from a Man U family), who, after a couple of past flag days and the trip to Fulham is seeing the light and turning into a City fan. Failing an 'event, what's the best City pub for pre-match drinks on the final home game of the season? Obviously, will be conducting a tour of the ground's bars sometime pre-match and half -time.

Really do need to keep 'selling' him the Club - which Flag Day made easy ( lesson for you BCFC Commercial Dept) - in order to fully convert him. 

Thanks.

Try Spanish Bar (El Rincorn) at the bottom of North Street. Similar and the same patrons to the Lions. Fans also sell a variety of mementoes there e.g Stckers. Part of the money raised depending on what is purchased could be going to the next flag day fund. Convert him properly.

Bus (A bus) are parked by KFC post match. 20 - 30 minutes to Temple Meads. 

Hello Mr. moor2sea, the Abus leaves BTM about 2 ish but I expect you're arriving before that, so I'd do what bs3 says and get the 24 from Redcliffe Hill to the Spanish bar. 

If you're on the 1744 train back, the Abus has made it in time for me everytime bar one. If you're on a later train, no worries. 

Next season with, hopefully, bigger gates, the transport to Temple Meads and many other places, needs improving. 

Have a good day mate. :-)

1 hour ago, ralphindevon said:

Hello Mr. moor2sea, the Abus leaves BTM about 2 ish but I expect you're arriving before that, so I'd do what bs3 says and get the 24 from Redcliffe Hill to the Spanish bar. 

If you're on the 1744 train back, the Abus has made it in time for me everytime bar one. If you're on a later train, no worries. 

Next season with, hopefully, bigger gates, the transport to Temple Meads and many other places, needs improving. 

Have a good day mate. :-)

Thanks for the details  ;-) 

As promised, if sober, I'll text some match update but don't expect many, if any! 

8 hours ago, Red Army Faction said:

An alternative would be to get the ferry from Temple Mead to somewhere like Nova Scotia or the Pump House.

Bristol Ferry Company

Mardyke always a good shout too @Moor2Sea. Usually the juke box is going, cheap and outside is a sun-trap, when the suns out - which looks like it could be on Saturday.

EDIT: there's a ferry stop right outside too. I'd give Pump House a miss, unless you're a gin enthusiast (they have over 150 varieties), as it's a bit up-its-own-arse and they don't really like football fans in there. Another good shout after the Mardyke would be The Cottage, especially if the weather is good, and then it's a 10 minute stroll from there to the ground.

Me and father come from Devon. We normally get a taxi about £8 from btm to Bs3 or £10 to KFC. Not bad value then have lots of beers. Our train normally gets in at 12.30 giving you plenty of time. 

This year we have just purchased season tickets so as we have an 200 mile round trip a game every idea would be great!!! 

9 minutes ago, Darchie88 said:

Me and father come from Devon. We normally get a taxi about £8 from btm to Bs3 or £10 to KFC. Not bad value then have lots of beers. Our train normally gets in at 12.30 giving you plenty of time. 

This year we have just purchased season tickets so as we have an 200 mile round trip a game every idea would be great!!! 

Came up from devon for many years.(Buckfastleigh)

Was over from Spain for the Sheff Wed game.

What a day that was in the bar and grill at 12.00 got to my seat in the East End at 5 to 3!!!

Back in the bar for money loss grand national . First win for me since Posh 2012!!!!

Anyway back in the day 70s allways walked to the gate from Temple Meads .

The 100 mile E/W all part of the day,the drive back with your son can be a tad quiet after a defeat!!!

Archived