IGNORED

Anyone work in car insurance?

Taz

Basically I have fully comp insurance on my car, which also allows me to drive other cars "with the owners permission". I know that this would only insure me as third party - this is fine.

My wife is taking her test soon, and it looks likely that we are about to get an older cheap car for her to use (x Reg - 2000 but with about 48k on clock - genuine mileage). I don't intend on insuring this car in her name, until she has passed - the cost to do it as a learner will be stupid. My question is, can I LEGALLY drive this car on my insurance? I'm not talking miles and miles everyday, just once or twice a week until she does pass, just to make sure it  keeps running properly rather than having it sat in the garage for a month or two (hopefully) until she passes?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this, before I spend ages on hold with my insurance company to get an answer!!

• Admin

If it's registered in her name, taxed and insured in her name, you can drive it if your policy allows you to drive other vehicles. Getting a bad record with insurance companies will cost you a hell of a lot more in the long run than insuring the car in your name in the short term.

*As a disclaimer I haven't worked in the insurance industry since 1991, so double check with your insurance company and get it in writing.

10 minutes ago, Taz said:

Basically I have fully comp insurance on my car, which also allows me to drive other cars "with the owners permission". I know that this would only insure me as third party - this is fine.

My wife is taking her test soon, and it looks likely that we are about to get an older cheap car for her to use (x Reg - 2000 but with about 48k on clock - genuine mileage). I don't intend on insuring this car in her name, until she has passed - the cost to do it as a learner will be stupid. My question is, can I LEGALLY drive this car on my insurance? I'm not talking miles and miles everyday, just once or twice a week until she does pass, just to make sure it  keeps running properly rather than having it sat in the garage for a month or two (hopefully) until she passes?

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of this, before I spend ages on hold with my insurance company to get an answer!!

I worked in car insurance for quite a while but this was a long time ago.  Here are the scenarios as I understand them:

1.  You become the owner and registered keeper of the car.  That means you must insure the car as normal.  You cannot be covered TPO on your own insurance on a car that YOU are OARK.  

2.  Your wife becomes owner and registered keeper of the car.  That means that YOU are covered TPO from your insurance but you will be paying for your wife to be covered on the car as well as she would be OARK so would need to be insured.  

It's worth doing quotes online for your wife.  If she is over 25 then it might not be as expensive as you imagine.  When shopping around I'd use comparison sites but then always make sure you get a quote from Direct Line as well as they can be very competitive.  

Also, insurance companies have started cracking down big time on what they call 'fronted risks'.  This is where you would name your wife as a secondary driver of a car that she is actually the primary driver of, to keep the price down.  Of course it would be hard for them to prove that in the case of a claim but they do often try if they are suspicious.  

Also remember that if you are covering yourself to drive her car via your insurance then you technically are not covered if that car gets stolen when in your possession.  It is third party only and not third party, fire and theft after all.  

Hope that all makes sense.  Any other queries, give me a shout.  

1 hour ago, Taz said:

1 hour ago, Taz said:

This only applies if the other car is already insured, you cannot drive any non insured car on your policy unless you have a motor traders policy.... Your comprehensive policy only allows you to drive another vehicle if it has the minimum third party cover on that car. It does NOT allow you to drive any uninsured vehicle.

5 hours ago, The Joker said:

This only applies if the other car is already insured, you cannot drive any non insured car on your policy unless you have a motor traders policy.... Your comprehensive policy only allows you to drive another vehicle if it has the minimum third party cover on that car. It does NOT allow you to drive any uninsured vehicle.

Wow thanks guys, didn't expect so many responses so quickly - especially overnight!!

Joker that's exactly what I was after, just couldn't find that on any google search. Probably me and my brain being half asleep at the time!! 

Just to add, there is absolutely no way I would even consider taking any car onto the road uninsured. Just thought I'd clear that up :cool:

I'll sort something out. The annoying thing is its only ten minutes down the road from me :grr:

Might be worth having a word with Admiral multi car @Taz they do the sort of thing your after.

Forgot to mention if you just want to legally drive the car home and park it up get some short term cover, your own company might offer you this for a day or there are a few on the web you can contact.

6 hours ago, The Joker said:

Yep. This is absolutely correct.

This is what stops people from fully comping themselves on a Fiesta & driving round an uninsured Ferarri. 

18 hours ago, Taz said:

When I got my mother driving it was cheaper to insure her as a learner than when she passed.

That said she was nearly 70 when she passed.. And the insurance costs were not that bad. Hate to think what they will be if she is in her early 20's though

My daughter had an older car to learn to drive in. She had failed a couple of tests learning with a driving instructor when the chance of a car came her way through a family member. It was cheaper to give her car ownership and insure this car in her name than it was for us to own the car with her as a learner.  

She used this car to learn to drive in and take her test in (saved on lesson costs). Once she had passed she was insured in her own right, the insurance was about the same. Soon after she got cheaper instance as the renewal was due and got a no claims discount as she had been with the insurance company for a year. 

We looked at all ways of insuring it and this was the best. Her Dad and I are on her policy as named drivers.

Archived