IGNORED

Kodjia 20 goals!

mcheneyred

13 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Can't get it on the phone but IIRC they had him down as 20 on the club page and 19 on the league page so I assumed that the difference was only league goals are shown on that page.

BBC only show league goals so 19 it is, his cup goal at WBA gives him 20 goals in total

With 19 league goals and 3 assists, Kodjia has been responsible for/involved in nearly half our total league goals this year (54 we've scored).

Phenomenal for a player in their first season in English football, and having been part of a team who were battling relegation most of the season.

We're lucky to have him.

2 hours ago, Ian M said:

You may jest but they have to have been working on that side of his game on the training ground. He has regularly sprung offside traps in the last few games and earlier this season that just wouldn't have happened.

I think LJ is turning him into a Jamie Vardy type striker, just hopefully without turning him into a bit of a dick.

Agard playing off him allowed him to drop deeper. He is definitely better when he picks up the ball deeper with his back to goal. 

Fantastic season for him, and it's just a shame that some City fans just don't seem to appreciate what we've got. Guy behind me yesterday, who's always moaning about him, was shouting for him to be taken off after 25 minutes!

To come from French league 2, speaking no English, and no understanding of the English game, and to get 20 goals in the Championship is a huge achievement. 

Lots said about how he can get better, but I hope next season we will also focus on other players thinking as quickly as he does, playing to his strengths, and getting the ball to him quicker. Making those runs, like Vardy does, depends on playing right on the back of the last defender, and both the run, and the ball to him, have to be just right to avoid offside. Part of the reason Kodjia gets caught so often is that he makes the run at the right time, but the ball is played too late.

We have got to get better at picking him out: Pack yesterday (and I'm a big Pack fan, so this isn't a dig at him) was plodding down the right, with Kodjia in acres of space running into the box and would have had an open goal, but by the time Pack saw him and got the ball over Kodjia's run had taken him to the goal line.

4 minutes ago, italian dave said:

Fantastic season for him, and it's just a shame that some City fans just don't seem to appreciate what we've got. Guy behind me yesterday, who's always moaning about him, was shouting for him to be taken off after 25 minutes!

To come from French league 2, speaking no English, and no understanding of the English game, and to get 20 goals in the Championship is a huge achievement. 

Lots said about how he can get better, but I hope next season we will also focus on other players thinking as quickly as he does, playing to his strengths, and getting the ball to him quicker. Making those runs, like Vardy does, depends on playing right on the back of the last defender, and both the run, and the ball to him, have to be just right to avoid offside. Part of the reason Kodjia gets caught so often is that he makes the run at the right time, but the ball is played too late.

We have got to get better at picking him out: Pack yesterday (and I'm a big Pack fan, so this isn't a dig at him) was plodding down the right, with Kodjia in acres of space running into the box and would have had an open goal, but by the time Pack saw him and got the ball over Kodjia's run had taken him to the goal line.

Agree with this.

There is a reason Kodjia has scored a good number since we've started playing with Tomlin and Reid in behind him; speed of thought.

I like Freeman, but so often earlier this season he was guilty of making Kodjia look as if he wasn't playing well by delaying passes or cutting in when the quick pass was on.

A summer of coaching the side to release Kodjia quickly and to get up in support of him will make us even more threatening.

45 minutes ago, redfieldred said:

Agard playing off him allowed him to drop deeper. He is definitely better when he picks up the ball deeper with his back to goal. 

Think he's equally dangerous latching onto through balls too.  Yesterday's goals showed he can do both.  

5 hours ago, Ian M said:

You may jest but they have to have been working on that side of his game on the training ground. He has regularly sprung offside traps in the last few games and earlier this season that just wouldn't have happened.

A big factor in this also is now having a player behind him in Tomlin who actually sees his runs when he makes them and not afterwards

It seems although Agard didn't have a great game his runs made space for Kodjia yesterday.  It scares me to think how many Gray and Kodjia would of scored, the havoc they would of created together.  

The only thing that worries me is LJ helping Kodjia sort his game out would of only put him higher on teams wanting to sign him . I can see the Burnley Boro Brighton teams putting stupid bids in as they will get a decent amount of money.  

Kodjia's been a great signing and his quality was obvious from early on in the season.  20 goals, 19 in the championship and only one pen in your first full season in English football in a relegation battling side is phenomenal.  It's just a shame you only have to go back to February to find a thread half full of idiots suggesting we should get rid of him.  

Archived