IGNORED

Des Taylor appointment.

Tipps69

I think this appointment is a crucial part of our club moving forward.......

I believe he'll already have an extensive portfolio of possible targets for us & some of those will be players we are unaware of due to his work with Eddie Howe / Bournemouth.

The only reason we would struggle to sign players on Bournemouth's radar is because of their Premiership status.

I would envisage that we can compete with them with regards to wages & with regards to most transfer fees.

And this is then where Mark Ashton comes into his own & has to earn his corn by selling the club to any potential transfer target & convince them that we are a club with a big future.

With Des Taylor's player knowledge & Mark Ashton's gift of the gabb, I see no reason why we can't aim to obtain players of Premier league quality, with the aim of getting us towards there.

I would hope that we have realised as a club that we have to release the purse strings a bit regarding wages to enable us to compete, the acquisition of Lee Tomlin in January must make us realise that we are able to attract that calibre of player & I would guess we would already have an idea as to what sort of financial package he is already on & what it would take if we were to stand any chance of getting him permanently.

Getting that first player "over the line" would enable us to show our potential & our ambitions to other potential suitors but this is unlikely to be done on a £10,000 p/w wage restriction.

And by releasing those purse strings it will also enable us to compete with regards to keeping the players that are already here who maybe attracting interest from other clubs.

Des Taylor will have a very good idea as to who Bournemouth will be looking at & their availability, so let's compete with them & see if we nick someone who maybe seen as a player who could improve them & if they could improve Bournemouth, then I'm sure they could improve us too.

We need to have an eye on signings who will improve & who can take us to that next level, now we have stepped to that next level of consolidating our position in The Championship, we need to be looking above that standard now to take us forward & onto that next level with one eye on The Premiership.

2 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

I don't see us "nicking" players that Bournemouth may be after. They are in the Prem and we're not.

Where we can benefit from Taylor's arrival is his knowledge of the "market" for available Championship quality players.

Absolutely. Bournemouth aren`t daft enough to think that staying in the prem this season was a given and will have maintained their monitoring of championship quality players in case they went straight back down and that`s where we`ll benefit IMO.

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

In all Carey fairness it should be a pretty easy sell to any non UK player. For a UK player it is not rocket science either; if Ashton assists in bringing a player here pat him on the back don't kiss his shoes.

After last summer, if he brings in some decent players, I will kiss his DNA

sorry to break this to you but we cant compete with Bournemouth financially - we struggle enough to compete financially in this league.

the money in the prem is becoming a bit of a leveler and it doesn't quite matter how many fans you have or how big your stadium is or how deep your owners pockets are, financially speaking next season Bournemouth will be a lot closer to Chelsea than we are to them. what this means is Bournemouth are more likely to take players on Chelseas radar than we are to taking players on there's and no one would seriously consider that.

Where we do have a chance is with players that will now have fallen off of Bournemouths radar due to them securing there premier league status.

24 minutes ago, Pezo said:

sorry to break this to you but we cant compete with Bournemouth financially - we struggle enough to compete financially in this league.

the money in the prem is becoming a bit of a leveler and it doesn't quite matter how many fans you have or how big your stadium is or how deep your owners pockets are, financially speaking next season Bournemouth will be a lot closer to Chelsea than we are to them. what this means is Bournemouth are more likely to take players on Chelseas radar than we are to taking players on there's and no one would seriously consider that.

Where we do have a chance is with players that will now have fallen off of Bournemouths radar due to them securing there premier league status.

Which is exactly the point people were making in this thread...

3 hours ago, Pezo said:

financially speaking next season Bournemouth will be a lot closer to Chelsea than we are to them.

Hi Pezo

Don't disagree with your sentiment at all but interestingly I don't think the quote above is right.

Just by way of example, last season Leicester spent 57m on staff. Chelsea spent 216m! I don't imagine that Bournemouth would be spending as much as Leicester. So even with our sub-10m wage budget, and even after the increased Prem TV money next year, I still think we'll be closer to Bournemouth than they are to Chelsea.

I don't say this to disagree with the point you're making at all. We still wouldn't be able to compete with them. Just to highlight that there is still a huge variation between the haves and the have-blimming loads in the Prem. 

And because I'm a bit pedantic :-) 

Edit: numbers from here http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/3bbe1da4-0df9-11e6-b41f-0beb7e589515.html#axzz47Q6ZB87l 

Bottom line - Taylor was an integral part of B'muffs strategy in reaching the PL. He along with his other scouts and Eddie Howe scouted for the players that would enable that to happen.

Therefore Taylor has the experience, skills and knowledge of what type of player it takes to gain promotion from the Championship and is just the man that City need to help us do the same. 

Another positive step I reckon.

6 hours ago, Pezo said:

We may not be able to financially compete with them now...but rewind 2 years and they were a Championship club with the smallest budget I expect. Ok they had a billionaire owner...but with FFP restrictions...many would have put them down as relegation fodder.

What teams like Bournemouth and Blackpool prove is....getting to the Premiership is not the impossible dream so may think.

It's all about getting the rest recruitment right...both on and off the pitch. This new scout is a welcome addition 

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Bottom line - Taylor was an integral part of B'muffs strategy in reaching the PL. He along with his other scouts and Eddie Howe scouted for the players that would enable that to happen.

Therefore Taylor has the experience, skills and knowledge of what type of player it takes to gain promotion from the Championship and is just the man that City need to help us do the same. 

Another positive step I reckon.

Agreed. Also worth noting that contrary to popular belief Bournemouth didn't really 'buy' their way to the Prem. They actually pretty much broke even in terms of transfer fees and made a lot of very shrewd signings.

That is the kind of financial model / recruitment strategy that SL wants to follow.

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Agreed. Also worth noting that contrary to popular belief Bournemouth didn't really 'buy' their way to the Prem. They actually pretty much broke even in terms of transfer fees and made a lot of very shrewd signings.

That is the kind of financial model / recruitment strategy that SL wants to follow.

And when they did buy 'big' they invested wisely. I remember Callum Wilson tearing our defence apart for Coventry when we played them at Sixfields under S'OD. Great player, shame he got injured this season.

58 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

They did incur a Football League FFP penalty of £7.6m (see company accounts) so they were certainly throwing some money around!

7 minutes ago, simon uk said:

You going to touch base first? Any synergising before matching his dna??

Is that before he parks his leased audi at the golf club?

David brent tw4t.

I wonder how much of a 'tw4t' you'll think he is if he 'touches base' with Bournemouth about signing Tomlin?

The Bournemouth owner plunged £25 million into the club for wages and transfers - they did to an extent 'buy' promotion.

But when they got promoted, they spent £17 million or so on the salaries for the whole club, so their player wage bill was probably around £12-14 million. This by championship standards is not massive at all.

City's wage bill on promotion from league one was (a hefty, for league one) £10 million. So once we've made our signings for next season we won't be far off what Bournemouth were paying, and we saw what they achieved.

12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Why? I don't understand why some people seem intent on disliking him. All he's done is use a few corporate buzzwords.

I was talking to a football agent recently, he is respected in the business. I'm not sure why people are so suspicious?

We recruited well in the summer of 14, Ashton put the structures in place for that to happen (people refer to how well that summer went, but don't credit him). The summer of 15 he was not here and we know that didn't work out.

January is never a good time to recruit but it went well. Everything is now in place for a busy and productive summer.

11 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

But when they got promoted, they spent £17 million or so on the salaries for the whole club, so their player wage bill was probably around £12-14 million. This by championship standards is not massive at all.

Staff costs for year ending 31 July 2015 (i.e. 2014/15 promotion season) were £30.4m up from £17.3m (10th place in Championship).

All numbers as per company accounts at Companies House.

3 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Staff costs for year ending 31 July 2015 (i.e. 2014/15 promotion season) were £30.4m up from £17.3m (10th place in Championship).

All numbers as per company accounts at Companies House.

Thanks, stand corrected, I was reading the years before still, my mistake!

7 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

I was talking to a football agent recently, he is respected in the business. I'm not sure why people are so suspicious?

We recruited well in the summer of 14, Ashton put the structures in place for that to happen (people refer to how well that summer went, but don't credit him). The summer of 15 he was not here and we know that didn't work out.

January is never a good time to recruit but it went well. Everything is now in place for a busy and productive summer.

It's almost like people are a bit intimidated because he uses corporate language - that's certainly what it feels like, I can't think of any other reason. 

3 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It's almost like people are a bit intimidated because he uses corporate language - that's certainly what it feels like, I can't think of any other reason. 

Ricky Gervase has got a lot to answer for IMO. People hear someone talking like he does and just think `what a tool` without bothering to listen to what`s being said. TBF I don`t think people like MA help themselves any by continuing to talk like it though as important messages do get lost in the twisted corporate speak.

16 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

If there is one thing Mr Charisma could do which would have a positive effect on us fans it to drop the corporate speak which can give the impression that it's all bullshit - and that's a shame. He does actually make a lot of sense. 

Im not convinced that he could drop the corporate speak - it's part of his DNA.

1 minute ago, Robbored said:

If there is one thing Mr Charisma could do which would have a positive effect on us fans it to drop the corporate speak which can give the impression that it's all bullshit - and that's a shame. He does actually make a lot of sense. 

Im not convinced that he could drop the corporate speak - it's part of his DNA.

Doesn't bother me really, I guess people just aren't used to hearing it in the context of football. 

A few people who seemingly dislike/distrust him appear petty to me, it's unjustified.

Archived