IGNORED

Gerry Gow

cider head

Hero of my teenage days . I've posted recently about Korey Smith who I rate highly , but he's got along long way to go to be as good as GG . 

As a kid I thought football was about , fancy tricks, long range goals &  pretty boy hair cuts , but then I discovered Gerry Gow .

Best Wishes Gerry.

12 minutes ago, Norn Iron said:
Thanks for the link.
Best two posts on the Blue Moon thread  for Gerry so far. .. 

I'll never forget the banner a Wembley in 81 Gerry Gow is a taxidermist he stuffs Cockerels, classic hope he makes a full recovery .

Anyone remember the Tottenham fan invading the pitch at Wembley, and trying to get at Gow?
Probably just as well that the Police nicked him because Gerry wasn't retreating.

Still appears to be a lot of love and respect up in Manchester and lots of good wishes. For a player that last played for them nearly 35 years ago it just goes to show what an impression he made.

2 hours ago, CGow said:

Thank u all for ur kind support , dad had been diagnosed with cancer it's going to be one hell of a battle but if anybody can beat this ****ing thing it's my dad , cheers Chris 

Please if you can, show your dad this thread.

Hope he fights this like the tough guy we know he is. 

All the best Gerry, watched some of your tackles with disbelieve of how good, brave and full blooded they were, we know how tough you are so sure you can get better and return down to the gate to watch City again

Due to age, I only saw him play for us no more than a handful of times, yet more than Jackie, Superbob and the Goat, he was my all time favourite player.

Never has a player made such an impression on me with such drive and heart.

The 1981 cup final is the reason I hate Spurs so much.

Best wishes to you and your family - you can beat this Sir Gerry.

Still my all time favourite player. I started watching City in the mid 70s. Gerry was a great midfielder - a tough tackler but he could also play - I remember some superb one touch through balls. I was even cheering on Man City in the 81 cup final simply because Gerry was playing for them. Get well soon Gerry. 

To those who were lucky/old enough to see him play there is no doubt that he would make everybody's best ever City XI. Hard but fair, skilful & honest, tireless & the heartbeat of the best City team I have seen over 40 years at the Gate.

I wish you all the best Gerry & I hope you & your family can stay strong for each other.

Sorry to disagree NeilS but I was at that match too and don't recall us winning but drawing 1-1, and I don't think you would've been in a carriage with Stewart Houston as if memory serves, he broke his leg in that match and I recollect Gow and McIlroy being sent off for fighting! 

16 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Gerry Gow - my City hero. I gave my t shirt (with the image of Gerry gripping a gas player around the neck with the line 'there's only one team in Bristol') to his daughter a few years back when I spent a day with them down in Dorset. She was so chuffed that her Dad was still remembered so fondly by Bristol City fans. Top top bloke, lovely family.

Fight hard GG, brave Scottish warrior, we're all behind you.

His quote from 2011 rings so true right now: "I knew I was popular at Bristol City as a player, I knew I was in their hearts,  but I didn't know how much, it's brilliant..."

Stay strong legend...

Frankie Prince, wasn't it?

Sorry EMB, I see you mentioned this later in the thread.

Archived